Umpires Or Sensors.

Sensors will take over eventually. It’s just a matter of time before the technology is perfected. I don’t really have a strong opinion on whether they should replace umps or not, but I do think it’s inevitable

I hope so.

.....14 mistakes is acceptable???

I don't like the idea of all of this trinketry in baseball.

Umpires are part of the game. Gotta let em be umpires.

Aaaaawww come awn bluuuueeeee....bah.....

I don't like the idea of all of this trinketry in baseball.

Umpires are part of the game. Gotta let em be umpires.

Aaaaawww come awn bluuuueeeee....bah.....

"How Many Die from Medical Mistakes in U.S. Hospitals?​

An updated estimate says it could be at least 210,000 patients a year, more than twice the number in a frequently quoted Institute of Medicine report"

Well.....I suppose it was always part of the game.......

Sooo.....they didn't actually kill you???
They stung me a few times.

Throwing BP was the scarside of things. Sometimes you can't get behind the screen fast enough. It's all well and good when they're 12, but once they get up into 16-19 range, it's a bit of a sticky wicket.

Yesterday's Stanton grand slam victory over the dreaded Red Sox was truly a religious experience.

But....it was also proof of the need for robo-umpires.

18 missed calls yesterday.

DateHome TeamAway TeamHome ScoreAway ScoreCalled PitchesCalled WrongAccuracyConsistencyFavor [Home]Total Run Impact
2021-09-25BOSNYY351691889.391.5-0.162.35

This ump, Kulpa, sure wasn't Asian: in my house, an 89 was grounds for being put up for adoption.

How's this.....17 of 53 strikes were actually balls.....68% accuracy.

But, on the bright side, a higher score than Biden.

Time for robo umps.

1658685422424.png

I'm not sure I'm a fan of robo umps.

Part of the whole baseball game is the umpires....the good calls, the bad calls, the baited breath for which one the umpire is going to make.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of robo umps.

Part of the whole baseball game is the umpires....the good calls, the bad calls, the baited breath for which one the umpire is going to make.
I originally felt the same

But what I never liked was each umpire having his own strike zone and batters having to figure out which pitches are being called strikes.

With robo umps, the strike zone is always the same and there is no eyeballing the ump over a questionable call.

But what I never liked was each umpire having his own strike zone and batters having to figure out which pitches are being called strikes.

With robo umps, the strike zone is always the same and there is no eyeballing the ump over a questionable call.

Its a kid's game, using this kind of sophisticated technology for something so trivial sounds wasteful.

Besides, it eliminates a lot of gamesmanship in baseball, where the catcher pretends as if its a strike or an out, as well as the always amusing chest-to-chest arguments with the umpire and manager. I remember when I was playing organized youth baseball when the other team's Italian manager got tossed from the game for a brouhaha.

Its a kid's game, using this kind of sophisticated technology for something so trivial sounds wasteful.

Besides, it eliminates a lot of gamesmanship in baseball, where the catcher pretends as if its a strike or an out, as well as the always amusing chest-to-chest arguments with the umpire and manager. I remember when I was playing organized youth baseball when the other team's Italian manager got tossed from the game for a brouhaha.
I never liked that part of the game or umpires throwing someone out of the game for giving a dirty look

It's not as fungible as you are making it out to be.
Just like the athletes compete so do the umpires. They are always trying to improve as much as possible and make it to the Show. It's a struggle as strenuous the athletes go through.

Doing away with them is losing part of the game. Bad calls are always a part of that but so are good close calls. And where I understand that the umpire's varying strike zone wiggles a bit....pitchers don't have that kind of control that they can hit the wiggle spots with any sort of true accuracy.

If you remove the Umpires why not remove the pitchers too...leave it up to a random number generating pitching machine? It certainly would be much cheaper and consistent too.....

I'm sure you have seen the movie "Moneyball" ....it's the business side of things that make it somewhat boring anymore. Back in the days of Catfish Hunter and some of the other giants of the game it was completely different....

Of course it's a game. Of course it's entertainment. It's something to get invested in and cheer and get disgusted about and watch your favorites perform.

If you begin removing all the chance happenstance from the game it's not something that you can get emotionally invested into as much. The negative comes with the positive. Including all the politics of the people involved.

Forum List

Back