Umpires Or Sensors.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Sensors.

OK, Ok.....so they are 90%+ accurate.
Why should we put up with less than 100%???????????

Last night's Yankee game....Umpire scorecard.

1628177314296.png

I’m not sure the sensors are 100 percent accurate.

The strike zone is not a two dimensional target. It is three dimensional extending the depth of home plate.

A pitch will rise and dip, move in and out and may not have been in the strike zone at the front edge of home plate but can drop in by the back edge.

1628180858884.jpeg

Last edited:
Sensors.

OK, Ok.....so they are 90%+ accurate.
Why should we put up with less than 100%???????????

Last night's Yankee game....Umpire scorecard.

View attachment 521858
The thing is, if you ask the players, Tom Hallion is probably at or near the top. He's respected by everyone. He establishes his zone, doesn't waver from it (the important part), and therefore everyone knows where it is. That's where his 98% consistency comes in.

That said I want robot umpires, at least for balls and strikes and for HBP/foul tips. I'm still fine with humans on the base paths, so long as their calls are reviewable. Preferably by robots.

DateHome TeamAway TeamHome ScoreAway ScoreCalled PitchesCalled WrongAccuracyConsistencyFavor [Home]Total Run Impact
2021-08-05NYYSEA531641193.395.40.471.39

11 erroneous calls.

93.3% correct calls.
Not good enough.

It's the Asian in me: I want 100%

One of the worst things that can happen in sports is when the OFFICIAL makes an error that impacts the outcome of a game. Hence, the electronic calling of balls and strikes is long overdue.

To the person who opined above that the strike zone is three-dimensional, while that may be theoretically true, no human set of eyes can accurately judge that ball placement. I prefer a two-dimensional strike zone, known and agreed by all, with an electronic sensor detecting strikes and non-strikes.

Furthermore, I would say that the strike zone itself should be standardized. It is not possible to accurately place the top of the strike zone per the rule book ("the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants" ). And you can still have the Ricky Henderson phenomenon where the batter squats down when standing in at the plate. Bullshit. Make the strike zone 28" above home plate to 48" above home plate, and every batter will have to deal with it.

There is only one thing preventing this logical innovation - bullshit from the umpire's union.

One of the worst things that can happen in sports is when the OFFICIAL makes an error that impacts the outcome of a game. Hence, the electronic calling of balls and strikes is long overdue.

To the person who opined above that the strike zone is three-dimensional, while that may be theoretically true, no human set of eyes can accurately judge that ball placement. I prefer a two-dimensional strike zone, known and agreed by all, with an electronic sensor detecting strikes and non-strikes.

Furthermore, I would say that the strike zone itself should be standardized. It is not possible to accurately place the top of the strike zone per the rule book ("the area over home plate from the midpoint between a batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants" ). And you can still have the Ricky Henderson phenomenon where the batter squats down when standing in at the plate. Bullshit. Make the strike zone 28" above home plate to 48" above home plate, and every batter will have to deal with it.

There is only one thing preventing this logical innovation - bullshit from the umpire's union.

"Hence, the electronic calling of balls and strikes is long overdue."

AMEN!!!

As I like to say...

I don't think NBA basketball hoops should be 9 feet 11 inches one night and then 10 feet 1 inch the other. 10 feet every time.

Much like sensors.. same strike zone for all, every night.

Where being accurate is part of being an umpire...I enjoy yelling "hey blue" during the game at least once.
It's just part of the game....there's so many games that a few bad calls aren't really going to make anyone win or lose a season.

Even the world series is a series of games in a variety of Venues.

Make the strike zone 28" above home plate to 48" above home plate, and every batter will have to deal with it.
Can't do that. Jose Altuve would have strikes at his shoulders and Aaron Judge would have strikes at his shins.

Sensors will take over eventually. It’s just a matter of time before the technology is perfected. I don’t really have a strong opinion on whether they should replace umps or not, but I do think it’s inevitable

Forum List

Back