UDSA Raises Food Price Forecast to Highest Level in 42 Years, Third Wave of U.S. Food Inflation Will Dwarf Prior Price Increases

I am not engaging in any retail investing now, and haven't for over a year.
Unless you have HOURS and HOURS a day to constantly watch your investments... you will not make money.
I have played in the markets for years, and done pretty well overall. 2018 and 2019 was amazing. Even parts of 2020 was too. But by mid 2021... Jesus Christ... the ups and downs are too much and too quick.
There's a lot of dry reading and weather forecasts to watch....I absolutely agree.
Commodity investing is even more reading than equities because of the forex exchange and the related economies you have to watch. (Money never sleeps but I do need 6 hours a night)

When the "market stimulus " started I became fearful by how early it started and the volume that was used. The current inflation situation was a given at that time but so many retail investors never took the clue. It has added a volatility to the market that is insane.

I know that they felt it was necessary to start it when they did....but a bigger bang for their buck could have been had later and with half the amount they used. Also the current inflation rate would be smaller.

That alone would have helped tremendously if they had used some calm prudence instead of the panic and manic/depressive nature the markets usually generate.

If only we had some adults in charge instead of greedy children.

I have some friends who farm several thousand acres. Fertilizer was $40/acre last year and they applied it to the fields. Now it’s $110 and the farmer must apply it.

Don’t worry. Joe and Nancy are on it.
Remember: Democrats care about the poor.

Don't underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up​

I have some friends who farm several thousand acres. Fertilizer was $40/acre last year and they applied it to the fields. Now it’s $110 and the farmer must apply it.

Cool story, but total BS. Anyone with that much land bought their fertilizer a year ago for this year's crop

Shitforbrains think businesses fork over money for something they don’t need until next year.

Of course they do. You are just proving you made up the story. If you are working a few thousand acres you cannot wait till the last minute to buy these things, you have to plan it them out as far as head a possible.

I will also call BS on the applying it themselves. If they had the equipment to do that they would have done so from the start, it is not like they are out there applying it by hand.

If you are going to make up a BS story , stick to something you know.

Of course they do. You are just proving you made up the story. If you are working a few thousand acres you cannot wait till the last minute to buy these things, you have to plan it them out as far as head a possible.

I will also call BS on the applying it themselves. If they had the equipment to do that they would have done so from the start, it is not like they are out there applying it by hand.

If you are going to make up a BS story , stick to something you know.
What a Dufus!
Let me rephrase it.

Non Leftard businesses do not fork over money for something they don’t need for another year.

You Leftards are stupid enough to do it.

What a Dufus!
Let me rephrase it.

Non Leftard businesses do not fork over money for something they don’t need for another year.

You Leftards are stupid enough to do it.

You keep proving you made the story up and that you know nothing about farming or agricultural.

This might be a shock to you, but they cannot just go down the to the local Ace Hardware and buy it off the shelf.

Anyone with thousands of acres is having their fertilizer custom mixed just for them and they will vary the amounts that goes on each 1/4 acre based off of the latest soil test. This is always planned well in advance.

But please, continue on with your fake story...so what are these people growing in their 1000s of acres?

Anyone with thousands of acres is having their fertilizer custom mixed just for them and they will vary the amounts that goes on each 1/4 acre based off of the latest soil test. This is always planned well in advance.
I would think that where the fertilizers were ordered and contracted the final price of the fertilizers was not agreed to.

And besides....most crops are contract crops to begin with. Meaning someone else is providing seed, pesticides, and fertilizers....you just provide land, labor, and equipment...and are paid on yield.

I would think that where the fertilizers were ordered and contracted the final price of the fertilizers was not agreed to.

The price is also negotiated at the time of the contract.

And besides....most crops are contract crops to begin with. Meaning someone else is providing seed, pesticides, and fertilizers....you just provide land, labor, and equipment...and are paid on yield.

Some are, not all. Some of the farmers I work with had held on to last years corn and soy and made out like bandits when they sold it this spring.

You keep proving you made the story up and that you know nothing about farming or agricultural.

This might be a shock to you, but they cannot just go down the to the local Ace Hardware and buy it off the shelf.

But please, continue on with your fake story...so what are these people growing in their 1000s of acres?
What a Dufus!
You’re obviously a city dweller. And a moron who thinks farms or any businesses pay for items a year in advance.

Looks like my friends got a deal for their crop.

“Fertilizer costs to harvest 200 bushel per acre corn based on retailer quotes from USDA’s Illinois Department of Ag Market News Service pegged 2022 per acre corn production costs at $213-$236/acre. Those same prices six months earlier stood at $126-$149/acre, representing a staggering 58%-69% increase in fertilizer expenses in just six months.”

The price is also negotiated at the time of the contract.

Some are, not all. Some of the farmers I work with had held on to last years corn and soy and made out like bandits when they sold it this spring.
Bullshit liar.
Shitforbrains thinks a fertilizer company is going to take cash for something a year in advance not knowing what prices will be.

This year's business is almost over....except for the harvesting. Projected yields are already done...which is why the CPI forecast is complete for this Fall. It will probably worsen for winter...but hey, you needed to lose weight anyway.

Most I know are working on next year's budget and crops. Which is going to depend on Brazil's production and African crops. (Always something of a wildcard)

What a Dufus!
You’re obviously a city dweller. And a moron who thinks farms or any businesses pay for items a year in advance.

Looks like my friends got a deal for their crop.

“Fertilizer costs to harvest 200 bushel per acre corn based on retailer quotes from USDA’s Illinois Department of Ag Market News Service pegged 2022 per acre corn production costs at $213-$236/acre. Those same prices six months earlier stood at $126-$149/acre, representing a staggering 58%-69% increase in fertilizer expenses in just six months.”

you keep proving your story is bull shit time and time again.

Even your link does not support your bull shit claims. you still have not told us what they are growing

you keep proving your story is bull shit time and time again.

Even your link does not support your bull shit claims. you still have not told us what they are growing
Hilarious! Yeah. The huge spike in prices prove there’s no huge spike in prices!

Shitforbrains, where’s your link farmers pay a year in advance and fertilizer companies lock in prices a year in advance not knowing what the market will do.

And it’s cotton, Leftard liar.

Hilarious! Yeah. The huge spike in prices prove there’s no huge spike in prices!

nobody claimed there was not a huge spike in prices. You know you are caught in a lie so you try another lie to get out of the first lie. That is the problem with lies

Shitforbrains, where’s your link farmers pay a year in advance and fertilizer companies lock in prices a year in advance not knowing what the market will do.

Not a year ahead, they buy it in the fall for the spring. Do try and keep up.

You really are not very good at this.

nobody claimed there was not a huge spike in prices. You know you are caught in a lie so you try another lie to get out of the first lie. That is the problem with lies

Not a year ahead, they buy it in the fall for the spring. Do try and keep up.

You really are not very good at this.
You’re so full of shit I’d think you’d have a clue about fertilizer. Payment is made when product is delivered.

Or are you stupid enough to pay your car maintenance bills in advance? Specialized parts are required!

Dumbass.

Forum List

Back