UDSA Raises Food Price Forecast to Highest Level in 42 Years, Third Wave of U.S. Food Inflation Will Dwarf Prior Price Increases

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
I have some friends who farm several thousand acres. Fertilizer was $40/acre last year and they applied it to the fields. Now it’s $110 and the farmer must apply it.

Don’t worry. Joe and Nancy are on it.
Remember: Democrats care about the poor.

I have some friends who farm several thousand acres. Fertilizer was $40/acre last year and they applied it to the fields. Now it’s $110 and the farmer must apply it.

Yeah but how much will avocado toast be?

12 a dozen

Time to buy some chickens

Well they received like 24B dollars during the blob's one term.... on top of their subsidies. Food should be freaking free by now.

Winter wheat & corn need the nitrogen fertilizer the most so these commodities will most likely be @ the top of the pyramid regarding price increase.

The shipping and export of goods is what strengthens our economy.

And it all has a relationship with other goods. Including energy and fertilizers for groceries.

Because of the global situation...we have severe issues with the global economy. Russia is just one part of the problem. Quarantines and shipping containers are another. The high price of fuel and labor is also crushing the global economy.

With the fear of covid, people do not go to work. Period. And that is not just an American issue...it's a global problem.

Industrialization in America is part of America's problem. As in they do not have the industrial factories they once did. Parts are made all over the globe. Copper from Australia makes wire and motors in Thailand, which then get assembled into products in India and shipped to Canada and America. And of course these things are controlled by computer chips made in Taiwan. (Which gets its pure, refined silicon from PRC)

Products with three countries or more involved in their production are super expensive anymore. Because any one of the three stops along the way are having labor issues. Just like the car lots of incomplete vehicles at GM and Ford. They can't sell them until they get the parts to complete them.

Groceries also heavily depend on petroleum products....both in their chemical makeup, transportation, and distribution in the field.

Also everything from ships to tractors need parts and fluids and filters and computer chip boards.

The supply chains are overextended. That's both a boon and a hindrance. Anyone who can fix current supply chain issues is going to come out on top.

Usually America gets a huge amount of Groceries from South America...usually Brazil. Brazil had a horrendous drought and frost last growing season. This year looks good so far...but it's not over yet. The western part of the US also has had a drought....some parts for the last 20 years.

Pray for rain.

This was Biden Democrats plan all along, to cause panic and chaos and blame it on Republicans. They have been sowing racial discord since Obama and now they're adding economic despair to justify a government takeover of even more of our lives. Democrats are evil totalitarians.

This was Biden Democrats plan all along, to cause panic and chaos and blame it on Republicans. They have been sowing racial discord since Obama and now they're adding economic despair to justify a government takeover of even more of our lives. Democrats are evil totalitarians.
When consumers are hurting democrats are happy

That makes more people dependent on government

Get better fields.
I'm sure your friends could ask Monsanto for help...LOL

The shipping and export of goods is what strengthens our economy.

And it all has a relationship with other goods. Including energy and fertilizers for groceries.

Because of the global situation...we have severe issues with the global economy. Russia is just one part of the problem. Quarantines and shipping containers are another. The high price of fuel and labor is also crushing the global economy.

With the fear of covid, people do not go to work. Period. And that is not just an American issue...it's a global problem.

Industrialization in America is part of America's problem. As in they do not have the industrial factories they once did. Parts are made all over the globe. Copper from Australia makes wire and motors in Thailand, which then get assembled into products in India and shipped to Canada and America. And of course these things are controlled by computer chips made in Taiwan. (Which gets its pure, refined silicon from PRC)

Products with three countries or more involved in their production are super expensive anymore. Because any one of the three stops along the way are having labor issues. Just like the car lots of incomplete vehicles at GM and Ford. They can't sell them until they get the parts to complete them.

Groceries also heavily depend on petroleum products....both in their chemical makeup, transportation, and distribution in the field.

Also everything from ships to tractors need parts and fluids and filters and computer chip boards.

The supply chains are overextended. That's both a boon and a hindrance. Anyone who can fix current supply chain issues is going to come out on top.

Usually America gets a huge amount of Groceries from South America...usually Brazil. Brazil had a horrendous drought and frost last growing season. This year looks good so far...but it's not over yet. The western part of the US also has had a drought....some parts for the last 20 years.

Pray for rain.
A lot of typing there.
All you had to say, which is the absolute lionshare of why food costs have risen/continue to raise is fuel and energy costs.
A quick Google states that, on average, there are 2,000,000 semis on the road everyday just to transport food.
These trucks average 6 mpg. Each truck driving several 100 miles per day = 32,000,000 million gallons.
That is a little over $1 BILLION per week in fuel.
Last year that was $313,000,000 per WEEK cheaper. Over $1 billion a month less than now.

Remember folks....

Biden called high gas prices an "important transition".
And then his handlers went into overdrive to try and cover for him saying it.
But not only did he say it, he went on to explain what he meant.

A lot of typing there.
All you had to say, which is the absolute lionshare of why food costs have risen/continue to raise is fuel and energy costs.
A quick Google states that, on average, there are 2,000,000 semis on the road everyday just to transport food.
These trucks average 6 mpg. Each truck driving several 100 miles per day = 32,000,000 million gallons.
That is a little over $1 BILLION per week in fuel.
Last year that was $313,000,000 per WEEK cheaper. Over $1 billion a month less than now.

Sorry I had a little drift....
But I was investing in commodities earlier this year and got out because I too busy with other things.

Groceries are commodities. COGS and the global supply relate to grocery prices as much or more than anything. So does the exchange rate of currencies. It's not exactly as cut and dry as you are explaining. Our export economy has as much to do with the prices of Groceries as the COGS.

AND I DIDN'T explain it well...but it is complicated.

But nobody on the planet is growing enough Groceries...that's why they are going to be really expensive.

Sorry I had a little drift....
But I was investing in commodities earlier this year and got out because I too busy with other things.

Groceries are commodities. COGS and the global supply relate to grocery prices as much or more than anything. So does the exchange rate of currencies. It's not exactly as cut and dry as you are explaining. Our export economy has as much to do with the prices of Groceries as the COGS.

AND I DIDN'T explain it well...but it is complicated.

But nobody on the planet is growing enough Groceries...that's why they are going to be really expensive.
I am not engaging in any retail investing now, and haven't for over a year.
Unless you have HOURS and HOURS a day to constantly watch your investments... you will not make money.
I have played in the markets for years, and done pretty well overall. 2018 and 2019 was amazing. Even parts of 2020 was too. But by mid 2021... Jesus Christ... the ups and downs are too much and too quick.

It's time for you people to start a vegetable garden

Good quality produce is always cheap at the Hutterite colony just a few miles from me.

1653742808991.png

1653743226756.png

Forum List

Back