Zone1 Two iconic movies from 1994 that could not be made today.

1713746239968.jpeg

Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump both were in theaters in 1994. They were iconic films and depicted close relationships between a White man and a Black man. There was not a hint of Racism in either film and instead focused on telling a great story of struggle and triumph.

Now 30 years later, those scripts would be rejected by the Hollywood Elite because of the lack of racism and conflict. It would be interesting to see what a 2024 remake of those films would look like. My guess is, they would fall far short of the original films.

Øbama, The Divider In Chief.

Saving Private Ryan- too many whites.
Schindler’s list - ditto
Braveheart - ditto
Titanic - ditto
Toy Story- ditto
Jurassic park - ditto
The Fugitive- ditto
Apollo 13 - ditto

See the crew NASA picked for an endurance test for a future manned Mars mission. White men need not apply.

Jason Lee, Stephanie Navarro, Shareef Al Romaithi, and Piyumi Wijesekara

Saving Private Ryan- too many whites.
Schindler’s list - ditto
Braveheart - ditto
Titanic - ditto
Toy Story- ditto
Jurassic park - ditto
The Fugitive- ditto
Apollo 13 - ditto
Jurassic Park had a black in a supervisory role. He ran the computer system that ran the park.

Blazing Saddles
/Thread

WW

Actually, the problem with remaking Blazing Saddles today is that modern audiences wouldn't understand what it was parodying.

While the "wholesome western" dominated TV and movies in the 1950s, this genre is almost unknown to current movie audiences. Today, all we know are "gritty" westerns, such as HBO's Deadwood or any of Clinton Eastwood's works in the genre.

So, most of the humor would be right over the audiences' heads, even with the subversion of putting a black guy in the typical role that John Wayne or Randolph Scott would fill. Scott was a punchline in the movie, but today, no one remembers who he was. People wouldn't get why this juxtaposition would be subversive.

Other jokes in Saddles wouldn't work because they've been overdone. The campfire scene was hilarious at the time, because movies like to pretend flatulence wasn't a thing. Today, every cheap comedy does at least one fart joke, it's just not that funny anymore.

The movie contained two jokes where rape was a punchline. That would be completely unacceptable today, as it should be. Conversely, we've rethought our history and realized that the "Old West" was built on the genocide of Native Americans. So the scene with Mel Brooks in 'red-face' speaking Yiddish just wouldn't be funny.

Incidentally, I first saw Saddles in 1974 at a drive-in. We don't have drive-in movies anymore, either.

Last edited:
Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump both were in theaters in 1994. They were iconic films and depicted close relationships between a White man and a Black man. There was not a hint of Racism in either film and instead focused on telling a great story of struggle and triumph.

Now 30 years later, those scripts would be rejected by the Hollywood Elite because of the lack of racism and conflict. It would be interesting to see what a 2024 remake of those films would look like. My guess is, they would fall far short of the original films.
If the film stayed true to the book, Red would be a white Irishman.

Actually, the problem with remaking Blazing Saddles today is that modern audiences wouldn't understand what it was parodying.

While the "wholesome western" dominated TV and movies in the 1950s, this genre is almost unknown to current movie audiences. Today, all we know are "gritty" westerns, such as HBO's Deadwood or any of Clinton Eastwood's works in the genre.

So, most of the humor would be right over the audiences' heads, even with the subversion of putting a black guy in the typical role that John Wayne or Randolph Scott would fill. Scott was a punchline in the movie, but today, no one remembers who he was. People wouldn't get why this juxtaposition would be subversive.

Other jokes in Saddles wouldn't work because they've been overdone. The campfire scene was hilarious at the time, because movies like to pretend flatulence wasn't a thing. Today, every cheap comedy does at least one fart joke, it's just not that funny anymore.

The movie contained two jokes where rape was a punchline. That would be completely unacceptable today, as it should be. Conversely, we've rethought our history and realized that the "Old West" was built on the genocide of Native Americans. So the scene with Mel Brooks in 'red-face' speaking Yiddish just wouldn't be funny.

Incidentally, I first saw Saddles in 1974 at a drive-in. We don't have drive-in movies anymore, either.
thanks for verifying the op ..

thanks for verifying the op ..
Not so sure I verified it as gave a different perspective.

The last Mel Brooks movie I saw was "Dracula: Dead and Loving It". Despite having Leslie Neilsen and Brooks stock actor Harvey Korman in it, it just wasn't funny.

Not necessarily because Mel had changed his approach, he was doing the same stuff he's been doing since the 1960s. But comedy tastes have changed since the 1970s.

On the other hand, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is still hilarious 50 years later.

Not so sure I verified it as gave a different perspective.

The last Mel Brooks movie I saw was "Dracula: Dead and Loving It". Despite having Leslie Neilsen and Brooks stock actor Harvey Korman in it, it just wasn't funny.

Not necessarily because Mel had changed his approach, he was doing the same stuff he's been doing since the 1960s. But comedy tastes have changed since the 1970s.

On the other hand, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is still hilarious 50 years later.
Completely irrelevant rambling.

Forum List

Back