Turnout by Republicans Was Great. It's Just That Many of Them Didn't Vote for Republicans

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Several points to note:

Georgia is a fine example. While Walker may blame turnout for his poor showing in November and earlier this week, other Republican candidates seemed to have no problem at all. Gov. Brian Kemp won by nearly 8 points over Stacey Abrams; Republican candidates for House won the most votes on the same day.

Yet Sen. Raphael Warnock won in Georgia anyway because a large group of voters willing to back other Republicans weren’t willing to back Walker.

Take Maricopa County in Arizona. It’s home to Phoenix and around 70% of the state’s voters. Some Republicans say — without any clear evidence — they faltered in Arizona because some Maricopa voters were unable to cast ballots at the polls on Election Day, but the final turnout data shows that 75% of registered Republicans turned out, compared with 69% of Democrats. That was enough to yield an electorate in which registered Republicans outnumbered Democrats by 9 percentage points. Yet Republicans like Masters and Kari Lake lost their races for Senate and governor.

Or consider Clark County in Nevada. There, 67% of Republicans voted, compared with 57% of Democrats, implying that Republicans probably outnumbered Democrats statewide. Yet the Democrat — Catherine Cortez Masto — prevailed in the Senate while Republicans won the governorship and also won the most votes for the House.

It’s fair to say voters in these key states probably preferred Republican control of government, in no small part because more Republicans showed up to vote. They just didn’t find Republican candidates they wanted to support at the top of the ticket.

Candidate quality matters. It's the reason Kemp easily won reelection in Georgia while Walker failed, why Sununu easily won reelection in New Hampshire, while the Congressional candidates failed. It's why Republicans did well in the Arizona House races and the Republican State Treasurer candidate won easily, but their gubernatorial and Senate candidates came up short. "Stop the Steal" is a failed platform to run on and some of them, like Kari Lake, still haven't learned their lesson. Throw in backlash to the Dobbs ruling also. The Trump sycophants got their clocks cleaned and it will happen again in the next election if Republican voters don't wise up.

Its amazing when people look at the full ballots of each state the GOP won up and down the ballot except in key senate races where the dems could not afford to lose... I find that unusual to say the least... everywhere the dems could not lose because it would cost them the senate they won.... but they lost everywhere else....

Its amazing when people look at the full ballots of each state the GOP won up and down the ballot except in key senate races where the dems could not afford to lose... I find that unusual to say the least... everywhere the dems could not lose because it would cost them the senate they won.... but they lost everywhere else....
Nothing unusual about it. You let Trump pick your candidates. That’s your problem.

Several points to note:

Candidate quality matters. It's the reason Kemp easily won reelection in Georgia while Walker failed, why Sununu easily won reelection in New Hampshire, while the Congressional candidates failed. It's why Republicans did well in the Arizona House races and the Republican State Treasurer candidate won easily, but their gubernatorial and Senate candidates came up short. "Stop the Steal" is a failed platform to run on and some of them, like Kari Lake, still haven't learned their lesson. Throw in backlash to the Dobbs ruling also. The Trump sycophants got their clocks cleaned and it will happen again in the next election if Republican voters don't wise up.
I would put this is Conspiracy theories. No one can read minds or prove what is said. Therefore is must be a conspiracy.

"It’s fair to say voters in these key states probably preferred Republican control of government, in no small part because more Republicans showed up to vote. They just didn’t find Republican candidates they wanted to support at the top of the ticket."

Or maybe they weren't republicans in the 1st place. How many lefties do you suppose registered as republicans so they could put the poorest candidate on the ballot that they believed could be beaten by a democrat? Some? Maybe, but I do not believe those numbers in the link. I would not discount the Trump effect in the GOP and also among the Indies that his endorsement was shall we say somewhat less than helpful in certain areas. One wonders if Trump is that stupid, to nominate so many unsuitable or unelectable people such as Herschel Walker, or if he really knew them in that sense. He might be really good at business dealings, but he totally sucks at politics IMHO.

I have said several times in the past that I thought Trump could and would beat whoever the democrat is in 2024, but now I am not so sure. Like a TV program that falls in the ratings and gets cancelled, I think Trump may be in that same process politically. The really said thing is, the only alternative (assuming he will be the GOP nominee) is to vote for the democrat and IMHO that is an even worse choice. Why? Because as much of an asshole as he is, his policies will be more beneficial to the country than any democrat would be.

Several points to note:

Yeah, nothing like people going out and not vote for a Candidate, knowing full well the other candidate is a rubber stamp for Joe the shitter Biden, who caused fuel prices to necessarily skyrocket, to get 13 servicemen to be killed on the last day in Afghanistan, to have a shortage of baby formula, to have record inflation, while allowing millions of diseased illegals cross our borders. Sure i believe that those voters just sat back and did nothing, just like the 2am ballot dump in those same 5 states that always have problems with voting.....

Comparing the 2022 governor's race to that of 2018 here in Arizona, there were 313 precincts that switched from Republican to Democrat. Only 6 went the other way, where the Democrat won in 2018 but switched to Republican this year. (Source: Analysis: Republican defection responsible for Lake's defeat )
That reflects my switch to the Democrat this year, and also the switch of the precinct where I reside.

Forum List

Back