'It's embarrassing': Republicans worry they have no achievements to run on in 2024

‘When Congress began the new year, Rep. Andy Biggs gave a television interview and made a startling confession: House Republicans have done nothing they can run on.

“We have nothing. In my opinion, we have nothing to go out there and campaign on,” the Arizona Republican said on the conservative network Newsmax. “It’s embarrassing.”

Anchor Chris Salcedo responded with a bemused chuckle. “I know,” he said. “The Republican Party in the Congress majority has zero accomplishments.”

The exchange captured a dynamic that looms over Republican lawmakers heading into the 2024 election: They’ve passed little substantive legislation since winning the majority in 2022 and struggled to do the basics of governing with a Democratic-led Senate. Their first year was instead marked by fractiousness and chaos, complicating the party’s pitch to voters this fall. The challenge is accentuated by likely GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump making “retribution” against his enemies, rather than shared policy goals, the centerpiece of his comeback bid as he continues to spread fabricated claims that the 2020 election was stolen from him.’

And of course, blaming Democrats is both dishonest and a lie – Democrats were, and are, willing to pursue sound, responsible governance opposed by Republicans.

Worse, Republicans’ do-nothing obstructionism is intended to prevent President Biden from realizing legislative victories with Republicans lying about it being President Biden’s ‘fault’ for nothing getting done.
Where's that cure for cancer? And I have a quick analogy on the "obstructionist" argument. Let's say someone shows up to your house to beat you up for 5 minutes every week. The police say it's assault, but won't enforce the law. Eventually, your local lawmakers try to pass a bill that makes it legal for you to be beat for up to 5 minutes every week. Would you object that bill or just accept that you'll keep getting beat up?

Forum List

Back