Tulsa goes grave digging as it looks for answers in infamous 1921 race riot

You'll need a little bit of intelligence to understand this:

Nearly a century after one of the most horrific episodes in American history, the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma, may soon be getting insight into a crime scene that was never fully investigated.

"This is blood land, this was a sacred space where people were burned alive," said Rev. Dr. Robert Turner. "The Greenwood District is not just a tourist site, it's a crime scene."

Turner leads the only African-American church in the Greenwood area that was left standing after the infamous 1921 Tulsa Race Riot, which destroyed one of the nation's wealthiest black communities. But Vernon Chapel A.M.E. Church, he said, was not left unscarred by the violence that took place on May 31, 1921.

"We have the only building that survived the massacre," Turner said — but he added, "we have members who died on that day."

A 2001 report by an Oklahoma commission dedicated to the event shows that the rampage was sparked by an incident when a black shoe shiner tripped over a white elevator operator and was accused of sexual assault of the 17-year-old girl.

Shortly after news broke out of the alleged assault, a white lynch mob was formed around the jail where the shoe shiner was being held. That prompted a group of armed black men to offer their services to protect the inmate, and it wasn't long before a confrontation broke out between a black and white man that led to an accidental shot being fired.

This signaled the start of a gunfight that would eventually stream into Greenwood as a white mob entered the city and destroyed much of its property.

Buildings and homes were burned and looted, and what was left of what was a bustling financial district — which Booker T. Washington and others called "Negro Wall Street" — looked charred and dismal. While accounts vary, the report estimated 30 to 300 deaths and the displacement of a majority of the town's black residents.
“Tripped”? “Accidentally”? Riiight! And they know these details ; how? Oh... that’s right. They don’t. They’re just trying to am up the sympathy for the negros in the story...
Your vile use of bigoted terms aside, i cant argue with that. A black man tripping caused a riot? That sounds SUPER far fetched to me. And dont give me any of this "thats how bad it was back then" bullshit. No way. Im sure it was bad, but it wasnt THAT bad. There were certainly black murderers back then that the racists could have focused their hate on, so they didnt need to start a riot over a guy tripping.

Theyve looked for these supposed mass graves before, but they never find anything because its just an urban legend.
The events occurred, including another in Rosewood, Florida. Our nation's history isn't one of innocence. We've committed genocide against Native Americans, forcing them onto reservations, had slavery (no where near as much as Islamic nations and South of the Border had), and racist crimes against blacks. But, that's the past and all nations have had slavery and massive killings before. At least this nation acknowledges its past and sought to rectify it. As for investigating a crime scene from 1921, I do fail to see the point, as hardly anyone alive today was alive then and thus it's highly unlikely any guilty party could be rounded up.
The reason why it is a good idea to investigate it is because we still have people on this very post who despite their blatant ignorance on the subject -- still has this righteous indignation that their ignorance is truth and that it is impossible something like this has ever happened.
Uhuh, and when youre investigation turns up nothing, youll still say it happened. Black people werent bombed by planes. Get a grip people!

You forgot the most amazing thing , the only US city bombed from the air.

You're correct of course but that's a terrible thing to be famous or infamous for

I was always fascinated with this, what would of happened if jealous whites would of just left them alone and flourish? I keep on thinking this would of been a different future if they had
Yeah, they would all be kings and queens now, just like they are in Africa, right? I think people have a tendency to over romanticize the past when their present sucks.
And closet racists always love to discount the plight of minorities while simultaneously clutching their pearls at anything they perceive as a slight against themselves
Says the weirdo who thinks black neighborhoods were bombed by planes. :laugh:

Here is the second time that a US city was bombed from the air --but in this case, it was really a black democrat that ordered it -- so conservatives can relax...

Why Have So Many People Never Heard Of The MOVE Bombing?
1961.jpg

This is what I immediately thought of as well but I didn't think they bombed them from the air.

You're correct of course but that's a terrible thing to be famous or infamous for

I was always fascinated with this, what would of happened if jealous whites would of just left them alone and flourish? I keep on thinking this would of been a different future if they had
Yeah, they would all be kings and queens now, just like they are in Africa, right? I think people have a tendency to over romanticize the past when their present sucks.
And closet racists always love to discount the plight of minorities while simultaneously clutching their pearls at anything they perceive as a slight against themselves

Learn your history , yes they were.

Learn your history , yes they were.

A Long-Lost Manuscript Contains a Searing Eyewitness Account of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

Ten-page manuscript is typewritten, on yellowed legal paper, and folded in thirds. But the words, an eyewitness account of the May 31, 1921, racial massacre that destroyed what was known as Tulsa, Oklahoma’s “Black Wall Street,” are searing.

“I could see planes circling in mid-air. They grew in number and hummed, darted and dipped low. I could hear something like hail falling upon the top of my office building. Down East Archer, I saw the old Mid-Way hotel on fire, burning from its top, and then another and another and another building began to burn from their top,” wrote Buck Colbert Franklin (1879-1960).

The Oklahoma lawyer, father of famed African-American historian John Hope Franklin (1915-2009), was describing the attack by hundreds of whites on the thriving black neighborhood known as Greenwood in the booming oil town. “Lurid flames roared and belched and licked their forked tongues into the air. Smoke ascended the sky in thick, black volumes and amid it all, the planes—now a dozen or more in number—still hummed and darted here and there with the agility of natural birds of the air.”

Read more: A Long-Lost Manuscript Contains a Searing Eyewitness Account of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Nearly a century after one of the most horrific episodes in American history, the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma, may soon be getting insight into a crime scene that was never fully investigated.

"This is blood land, this was a sacred space where people were burned alive," said Rev. Dr. Robert Turner. "The Greenwood District is not just a tourist site, it's a crime scene."

Turner leads the only African-American church in the Greenwood area that was left standing after the infamous 1921 Tulsa Race Riot, which destroyed one of the nation's wealthiest black communities. But Vernon Chapel A.M.E. Church, he said, was not left unscarred by the violence that took place on May 31, 1921.

"We have the only building that survived the massacre," Turner said — but he added, "we have members who died on that day."

A 2001 report by an Oklahoma commission dedicated to the event shows that the rampage was sparked by an incident when a black shoe shiner tripped over a white elevator operator and was accused of sexual assault of the 17-year-old girl.

Shortly after news broke out of the alleged assault, a white lynch mob was formed around the jail where the shoe shiner was being held. That prompted a group of armed black men to offer their services to protect the inmate, and it wasn't long before a confrontation broke out between a black and white man that led to an accidental shot being fired.

This signaled the start of a gunfight that would eventually stream into Greenwood as a white mob entered the city and destroyed much of its property.

Buildings and homes were burned and looted, and what was left of what was a bustling financial district — which Booker T. Washington and others called "Negro Wall Street" — looked charred and dismal. While accounts vary, the report estimated 30 to 300 deaths and the displacement of a majority of the town's black residents.
“Tripped”? “Accidentally”? Riiight! And they know these details ; how? Oh... that’s right. They don’t. They’re just trying to am up the sympathy for the negros in the story...
Your vile use of bigoted terms aside, i cant argue with that. A black man tripping caused a riot? That sounds SUPER far fetched to me. And dont give me any of this "thats how bad it was back then" bullshit. No way. Im sure it was bad, but it wasnt THAT bad. There were certainly black murderers back then that the racists could have focused their hate on, so they didnt need to start a riot over a guy tripping.

Theyve looked for these supposed mass graves before, but they never find anything because its just an urban legend.

I think there's plenty of documentation to say this really happened. I think it's very accurate to say there were areas in the US where animosity against Black people was very high in the 1920s. I think it was the shooting that started the riots, not the rape accusation....and one could imagine word of mouth back then would get a lot wrong.

I think there's plenty of documentation to say this really happened. I think it's very accurate to say there were areas in the US where animosity against Black people was very high in the 1920s. I think it was the shooting that started the riots, not the rape accusation....and one could imagine word of mouth back then would get a lot wrong.
My recollection of the news account was that a white mob turned up at the courthouse to try to take Rowlands away and lynch him. They were demanding that the sheriff turn him over and the black citizens had shown up in order to protect him and keep the mob from getting their hands on him. The charges against him were ultimately dismissed.

Rioting and burning down the entire city was not a rational response to a defensive shooting situation. If the mob hadn't tried to remove Rowlands from custody perhaps the riot may not have ever occurred. On the other hand though, if it was motivated by racism and envy then it's possible they would have found some other excuse to torch and destroy what at the time was the most prosperous and independant African American community in the U.S. Black people were not expected to be armed and stand their ground against whites and when they t idud.do they inevitably end up being blamed.

It is said that 1500 whites participated in this riots, yet not a single one of them was charged or prosecuted with the exception of the sheriff who was protecting Rowlands, while 88 blacks were indicted.

More information
Race Riots | Tulsa World

My recollection of the news account was that a white mob turned up at the courthouse to try to take Rowlands away and lynch him. They were demanding that the sheriff turn him over and the black citizens had shown up in order to protect him and keep the mob from getting their hands on him. The charges against him were ultimately dismissed.

Rioting and burning down the entire city was not a rational response to a defensive shooting situation. If the mob hadn't tried to remove Rowlands from custody perhaps the riot may not have ever occurred. On the other hand though, if it was motivated by racism and envy then it's possible they would have found some other excuse to torch and destroy what at the time was the most prosperous and independant African American community in the U.S. Black people were not expected to be armed and stand their ground against whites and when they t idud.do they inevitably end up being blamed.

It is said that 1500 whites participated in this riots, yet not a single one of them was charged or prosecuted with the exception of the sheriff who was protecting Rowlands, while 88 blacks were indicted.

More information
Race Riots | Tulsa World

Well, it was a sad chapter. I think your right it was probably envy

Nearly a century after one of the most horrific episodes in American history, the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma, may soon be getting insight into a crime scene that was never fully investigated.​
"This is blood land, this was a sacred space where people were burned alive," said Rev. Dr. Robert Turner. "The Greenwood District is not just a tourist site, it's a crime scene."​
Turner leads the only African-American church in the Greenwood area that was left standing after the infamous 1921 Tulsa Race Riot, which destroyed one of the nation's wealthiest black communities. But Vernon Chapel A.M.E. Church, he said, was not left unscarred by the violence that took place on May 31, 1921.​
"We have the only building that survived the massacre," Turner said — but he added, "we have members who died on that day."​
A 2001 report by an Oklahoma commission dedicated to the event shows that the rampage was sparked by an incident when a black shoe shiner tripped over a white elevator operator and was accused of sexual assault of the 17-year-old girl.​
Shortly after news broke out of the alleged assault, a white lynch mob was formed around the jail where the shoe shiner was being held. That prompted a group of armed black men to offer their services to protect the inmate, and it wasn't long before a confrontation broke out between a black and white man that led to an accidental shot being fired.​
This signaled the start of a gunfight that would eventually stream into Greenwood as a white mob entered the city and destroyed much of its property.​
Buildings and homes were burned and looted, and what was left of what was a bustling financial district — which Booker T. Washington and others called "Negro Wall Street" — looked charred and dismal. While accounts vary, the report estimated 30 to 300 deaths and the displacement of a majority of the town's black residents.​

More information
Race Riots | Tulsa World

Nothing of the sort....the whites were fired on by blacks and there was no attempt made by the whites to drag the accused out of jail. They may have or may not have been thinking about it but no action was taken by whites to seize the black boy accused of sexual assault.

hehheh.....the blacks were living high on the hog....they had gotten Nigah rich when they were given land owned by the Indians because they had been enslaved by the indians.

The problem being the blacks were uneducated and did not know how to manage what was given them...they would have burnt(no pun intended) through it pretty quickly.

Nearly a century after one of the most horrific episodes in American history, the city of Tulsa, Oklahoma, may soon be getting insight into a crime scene that was never fully investigated.​
"This is blood land, this was a sacred space where people were burned alive," said Rev. Dr. Robert Turner. "The Greenwood District is not just a tourist site, it's a crime scene."​
Turner leads the only African-American church in the Greenwood area that was left standing after the infamous 1921 Tulsa Race Riot, which destroyed one of the nation's wealthiest black communities. But Vernon Chapel A.M.E. Church, he said, was not left unscarred by the violence that took place on May 31, 1921.​
"We have the only building that survived the massacre," Turner said — but he added, "we have members who died on that day."​
A 2001 report by an Oklahoma commission dedicated to the event shows that the rampage was sparked by an incident when a black shoe shiner tripped over a white elevator operator and was accused of sexual assault of the 17-year-old girl.​
Shortly after news broke out of the alleged assault, a white lynch mob was formed around the jail where the shoe shiner was being held. That prompted a group of armed black men to offer their services to protect the inmate, and it wasn't long before a confrontation broke out between a black and white man that led to an accidental shot being fired.​
This signaled the start of a gunfight that would eventually stream into Greenwood as a white mob entered the city and destroyed much of its property.​
Buildings and homes were burned and looted, and what was left of what was a bustling financial district — which Booker T. Washington and others called "Negro Wall Street" — looked charred and dismal. While accounts vary, the report estimated 30 to 300 deaths and the displacement of a majority of the town's black residents.​

More information
Race Riots | Tulsa World

Nothing of the sort....the whites were fired on by blacks and there was no attempt made by the whites to drag the accused out of jail. They may have or may not have been thinking about it but no action was taken by whites to seize the black boy accused of sexual assault.
Here is another racist liar wanting to change history to protect the racist past of this nation.

The events occurred, including another in Rosewood, Florida. Our nation's history isn't one of innocence. We've committed genocide against Native Americans, forcing them onto reservations, had slavery (no where near as much as Islamic nations and South of the Border had), and racist crimes against blacks. But, that's the past and all nations have had slavery and massive killings before. At least this nation acknowledges its past and sought to rectify it. As for investigating a crime scene from 1921, I do fail to see the point, as hardly anyone alive today was alive then and thus it's highly unlikely any guilty party could be rounded up.
Planes bombed "Black Wall Street"? Get the fuck out of here! :laugh:
No they did it in paper sacks.

hehheh.....the blacks were living high on the hog....they had gotten Nigah rich when they were given land owned by the Indians because they had been enslaved by the indians.

The problem being the blacks were uneducated and did not know how to manage what was given them...they would have burnt(no pun intended) through it pretty quickly.
It is amazing listening to the arrogance of racist trash, what I have noticed is the white folks who love to pat themselves on the back for the accomplishments of other white folks in this country haven't done a damn thing to contribute to this country.

Story has holes in it. The armed black men attacked the prison in two major waves before being beat off both times. They were lead by the Hotel owner/gambling hall other 'businesses" owner Stradford who had said that he was paying for armed men from tuskogee to come in. Stradford was charged with inciting the violence and fled the area never to return again........

ESTIMATE of dead? DEAD leave bodies while stories get exaggerated and facts hidden-----------

Negroids have been rioting since forever when exposed to Western civilization. This ridiculous incident is not even in my Encyclopedia Britannica. The "Wall Street" thing Fake News apply to whatever went down is cluelessly hilarious.

Forum List

Back