Trump's lawyers: He didn't take an oath to defend the Constitution

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I ran out of adjectives to describe this disaster a long time ago. I know Trump's followers -- and I do mean followers -- will defend this.

From the Colorado case:

In a filing made to the Colorado Supreme Court, lawyers for former President Donald Trump say that he never took an oath “to support the Constitution of the United States’’ and should therefore not be banned from the state’s presidential ballots in 2024 based on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

I would ask the Trumpsters what they think of this, but I know they're fine with the idea.

I still can't believe this is happening here. In America. No way.

I ran out of adjectives to describe this disaster a long time ago. I know Trump's followers -- and I do mean followers -- will defend this.

From the Colorado case:

In a filing made to the Colorado Supreme Court, lawyers for former President Donald Trump say that he never took an oath “to support the Constitution of the United States’’ and should therefore not be banned from the state’s presidential ballots in 2024 based on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

I would ask the Trumpsters what they think of this, but I know they're fine with the idea.

Piss ignorant lawyers I'd say.

i agree trump's oath to "uphold and defend the constitution" is exactly what the 14th amendment is about and is exactly why he must NEVER be elected again.
The title is somewhat misleading. It says that Trump never took an oath to defend the constitution. In a follow-up post the allegation is that he violated an oath to support the constitution.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm

From the Colorado case:

to see a democrat complaining about someone else not defending the constitution is classic hypocrisy,,,

BULLFUCKINGSHIT..... :laughing0301:

It pays to be precise. If the charges against Trump include an allegation that he violated his oath to support the constitution, the entire complaint rests on whether there is, in fact, an oath to support the constitution. There is not. The complaint must fail.

to see a democrat complaining about someone else not defending the constitution is classic hypocrisy,,,

Cult 45 is here

From the Colorado case:

Trump is a sick man .

Here's the Presidential oath: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Technically, it doesn't use the word support, so the lawyers are correct.

Now let's look at the 14th Amendment, Section 3: No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

So aside from the fact that Trump didn't engage in rebellion or insurrection, the President doesn't take an oath to support the Constitution, so it doesn't apply to the office of President. Supreme Court justices likewise take no oath to support the Constitution, but Congressmen and the Vice President do.

believe it Mac.....

Donald Trump Is Plotting to Make Himself Dictator​

1701298519556.png
The American Prospect
https://prospect.org › politics › 2023-07-18-donald-tr...

Jul 18, 2023 — Given Trump's history, it's clear that should he become president again, he will try to set up a dictatorship. When Trump first came to power, ...

Trump's Recipe for a Shockingly Raw Power Grab​

1701298519588.png
Politico
https://www.politico.com › magazine › 2023/11/07 › t...

Nov 7, 2023 — See Damon Linker's recent piece on the intellectual foundation for a Trump dictatorship. The Dictators were an influential band but who ...

Trump is running as a dictator. He and the GOP must be ...​

1701298519638.png
Los Angeles Times
https://www.latimes.com › letters-to-the-editor › story › t...

Nov 13, 2023 — To the editor: Former President Trump has made it clear from his recent remarks he wants to be the first American dictator so he can punish ...

~S~

Soros/Yahoo sleaze bags leave out the part that the lawyers are talking about the period before Trump was elected president. It's a B.S. argument when the freaking world might be on the verge of nuclear catastrophy and Americans are forced to rely on a president who appears senile and indecisive.

Forum List

Back