Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

so why did people who voted for obammy vote for trump? explain it.
Well, I don't think that too many people really fit that description. I think a lot of people who normally don't vote came out and voted for trump, while a lot of sleepy liberals stayed home and did not vote.

But, I would say, becauser they saw a guy who would make sure their niche was carved out. Remember, Romney called most of them part of the "47%" that are parasites. trump, on the other hand, made them feel smart, as stupid was suddenly normalized.

thanks for asking!

huh? this isn't logical.
Of course it is, and it is factual. The younger generation (of which I harbor two individuals) is really amazed at how much bigotry is entrenched in our society, and at how we have let it fester, despite knowing for over 50 years that it is simply not okay.

This generation has gay classmates that are not beaten and shamed out of school. They see US as "abnormal", and think we should be ashamed of being somewhat complicit with the bigotry of our society.

And they are 100% correct.

so why did people who voted for obammy vote for trump? explain it.
Well, I don't think that too many people really fit that description. I think a lot of people who normally don't vote came out and voted for trump, while a lot of sleepy liberals stayed home and did not vote.

But, I would say, becauser they saw a guy who would make sure their niche was carved out. Remember, Romney called most of them part of the "47%" that are parasites. trump, on the other hand, made them feel smart, as stupid was suddenly normalized.

thanks for asking!
well I didn't ask you for the count, i merely asked you to explain why they did vote for trump. and you didn't answer. go figure. somehow you even figured out how to get Romney into the discussion. wow. dude that's a big lap.

i merely asked you to explain why they did vote for trump. and you didn't answer.
What, you weirdo? I clearly answered very directly. Pay attention when I post to you!:

"I would say, becauser they saw a guy who would make sure their niche was carved out. Remember, Romney called most of them part of the "47%" that are parasites. trump, on the other hand, made them feel smart, as stupid was suddenly normalized."

Yes, Romney is a part of the discussion, as people who did not vote for him (and instead, voted Obama) then voted for trump. So yes, in the conditions YOU set for the question, Romney is relevant.

Damn son, you ask people to answer your questions, then you whine like a b**** when they do. I think maybe you like to whine.

i merely asked you to explain why they did vote for trump. and you didn't answer.
What, you weirdo? I clearly answered very directly. Pay attention when I post to you!:

"I would say, becauser they saw a guy who would make sure their niche was carved out. Remember, Romney called most of them part of the "47%" that are parasites. trump, on the other hand, made them feel smart, as stupid was suddenly normalized."

Yes, Romney is a part of the discussion, as people who did not vote for him (and instead, voted Obama) then voted for trump. So yes, in the conditions YOU set for the question, Romney is relevant.

Damn son, you ask people to answer your questions, then you whine like a b**** when they do. I think maybe you like to whine.
dude, that is pure 100% mumbo jumbo and means absolutely nothing. Not an answer to my question at all. you're just filling space on a computer screen. LOL.:21::21:

Not an answer to my question at all.
It is a direct answer to your question. I think a lot of the people who flipped their vote from Obama to trump (and I don't think there were really too many of those) did so because they saw Trump as promising to carve and maintain a niche for them, in contrast to Romney.

that is a direct answer to your question, you crybaby. Good grief, man... I think you like whining...

Not an answer to my question at all.
It is a direct answer to your question. I think a lot of the people who flipped their vote from Obama to trump (and I don't think there were really too many of those) did so because they saw Trump as promising to carve and maintain a niche for them, in contrast to Romney.

that is a direct answer to your question, you crybaby. Good grief, man... I think you like whining...
Trump as promising to carve and maintain a niche for them

what the fk does this mean?

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

The other surveys supported the cultural anxiety explanation, too.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.

Traditionally the Democratic Party has been based on class hatred, religious bigotry and racial politics.
The Democrats regard mainstream middle class Americans as their enemy.
Hillary really exposed this fact with her comment about "deplorable" voters.
The Democrat Politicians are despicable demagogues and they exploit the dumb Democrat Voter hatred.
I'm not a Hillary fan...and would have never voted for her...But it is clear that your attempt to conflate 'mainstream middle class Americans' with her deplorable comment is a fail.
It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.

As far as your comment on 'racial politics'---I got quite the laugh. Trump's campaign was a masterful illustration of racial politics...and many fell for it--Hell, many had been waiting for something like it for a long time!

GOP gained ground in middle-class communities in 2016

GOP gained ground in middle-class communities in 2016

“It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.”

I can remember when the Democrats thought that these same working class Americans were noble and salt of the earth. Guess what, people will not vote for candidates who hate them.

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

The other surveys supported the cultural anxiety explanation, too.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.
Of course people vote to protect their status, as the report states.

WTF is wrong with people?

Being replaced in the job market by Idolators?
You tell me.
Not sure what you mean...or why you would think it matters?
I honestly don’t believe religion has anything to do with realizing Corporate America is creating a slave class.
I don't remember people getting paid who were slaves? But liberals pay people tax dollars to keep them voting for those very liberals.

War on poverty cost
The War on Poverty has cost $22 trillion -- three times more than what the government has spent on all wars in American history. Federal and state governments spend $1 trillion in taxpayer dollars on America's 80 means-tested welfare programs annually.
The War on Poverty Has Cost $22 Trillion
ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?article_id=25288
I’m in Nassau County and the American plumbers, carpenters and electricians are getting steady work for the first time in many years.
Just by chance, who is the President of the United States again?
Trump has given people confidence in the economy and his ICE game is on.

What happens to your identity when you’re a 49 year old MD and Congress tells you your skills are outdated?
What does that have to with Christ?
You tell me.
I honestly don’t believe religion has anything to do with realizing Corporate America is creating a slave class.
From the OP
White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.
It appears we are discussing two different things. I apologize, but imo you are discussing something not in the OP
No, we’re not.
The article is looking for a bullshit reason to explain Trump’s win.
Trump ran on pro-US, including minorities.

What does that have to with Christ?
You tell me.
From the OP
White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.
It appears we are discussing two different things. I apologize, but imo you are discussing something not in the OP
No, we’re not.
The article is looking for a bullshit reason to explain Trump’s win.
Trump ran on pro-US, including minorities.
yeah. But there's no disputing that evangelicals support Trump more than any pol in recent history, nor is there any dispute that rural rust belt districts flipped from 2008 and 12.

Again, the OP mixed the evangelical support with the economic support. I apologize for my confusion over your posts.

Trump as promising to carve and maintain a niche for them
They saw trump as not just vocalizing their thoughts, but as a person that would carve out space for them to exist. They fear that the America they dream of is disappearing.

Come on man, this isn't rocket surgery. You asked a simple question, and i gave a simple answer. And here we are, 2 pages later, trying to help you understand simple English words. stop wasting my time.

The only real status they have that they didn't have before is owning a stupid red cap.

Forum List

Back