Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

The other surveys supported the cultural anxiety explanation, too.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

No dummy that' not what it means at all, come here :itsok: there now go sit down and don't do a lot of talking while team Trump cleans up the Dem's mess and implements MAGA!

So where the fuck did this insane hatred of whites and Christians come from?
Huh! I don't see any 'insane hatred' so I guess one of us is deluded. But...just to speculate...if my family had been on the bottom in this country..for 200 years...I can see some resentment and, yes, even hatred..of the class that I thought was responsible. I'm not saying it should be that way..but human nature being what it is.....

Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged.

I think that many on the extreme Right have an investment in being seen as victims--especially some of the young White males. I also see a lot of identity politics from both sides--and many weak-minded people..of both sides...buy into them.

So where the fuck did this insane hatred of whites and Christians come from?

^^^^^^^^
Boom!

Mic

Floor

[/thread]
The same place that this insane hatred of African/Americans came from. The same place that knee-jerk hatred of any others who are different came from.

I suspect that you did not read the article--better pick up that mic----

I think that many on the extreme Right have an investment in being seen as victims--especially some of the young White males. I also see a lot of identity politics from both sides--and many weak-minded people..of both sides...buy into them.
Yes. Weak-minded tend to view others in terms of identity rather than content of character.

Liberals luvs them some 'studies', don't they? Ignore the obvious facts in front of your face and go find a study from some seething Liberal professor. Fear of losing status? :21: Uh no that is not why I voted for Donald Trump.

No dummy that' not what it means at all, come here :itsok: there now go sit down and don't do a lot of talking while team Trump cleans up the Dem's mess and implements MAGA!
Not happening---but enjoy your echo chamber...

Forum List

Back