Trump takes aim at Scientology tax exemption !

A churches tax exempt status should not extend to hotels, motels and parking lots.
And compounds where members are beaten into submission for failing to kiss the Grand Guru's ass.

Scientology's version of Gitmo? Hemet CA.

Gold_Base_aerial_view.jpg

It’s about to get real! I guess trump is pals wh Leah Remini, And is on board with taking out their religion status that makes them tax exempt .

I am no fan of Scientology, but those dudes are crazy ! Ever watch those documentaries about them? They will go all out on the Don.

And the motive ? Target non Christians ?

Trump reportedly supports revoking Church of Scientology's tax-exempt status

The 1st amendment of the US constitution forbids the US government from deciding what is or is not a religious institution in the first place.

It’s about to get real! I guess trump is pals wh Leah Remini, And is on board with taking out their religion status that makes them tax exempt .

I am no fan of Scientology, but those dudes are crazy ! Ever watch those documentaries about them? They will go all out on the Don.

The 1st amendment of the US constitution forbids the US government from deciding what is or is not a religious institution in the first place.

That’s not really true . You just can’t make
Somthing up and then get tax exempt status.

What happened to “freedom of religion”. I guess it’s OK to believe what you want as long as you’re a Christian but if you’re not, if you’re a Muslim, or a Scientologist or some other fringe religion, your beliefs don’t matter.

When you start saying one religion gets special favours over another, or is subject to special scrutiny like “extreme vetting” then you don’t have freedom of religion. The US was founded by Puritans seeking to escape religious persecution and now Donald Trump is re-introducing the idea that it is acceptable to persecute Jews, Muslims and now Scientologists, in the US.

Scientology is not a religion.

Yeah it is. It a scam and a cult but it is a religion. I don’t think “prosperity Christians” like Joel Osteen should have a tax exempt status either but as long as they’re not doing blood sacrifice or sexually abusing children, I guess were OK with it.

Oh wait - Catholics and Warren Jeffs and friends, and Witnesses. Scratch the abusing children part. Just no blood sacrifice.

No, it is a business that calls itself a religion.

Calling it a business is being generous. At best it is a pyramid scheme.

It is amazes they've been able to stay in business with so few "members".

The people involved call it a religion. As does Joel Osteen but there is precious little of “sell all of your possessions and follow me” in his preaching.

That’s not really true . You just can’t make
Somthing up and then get tax exempt status.
Read the 1st amendment.

What happened to “freedom of religion”. I guess it’s OK to believe what you want as long as you’re a Christian but if you’re not, if you’re a Muslim, or a Scientologist or some other fringe religion, your beliefs don’t matter.

When you start saying one religion gets special favours over another, or is subject to special scrutiny like “extreme vetting” then you don’t have freedom of religion. The US was founded by Puritans seeking to escape religious persecution and now Donald Trump is re-introducing the idea that it is acceptable to persecute Jews, Muslims and now Scientologists, in the US.

Scientology is not a religion.

Yeah it is. It a scam and a cult but it is a religion. I don’t think “prosperity Christians” like Joel Osteen should have a tax exempt status either but as long as they’re not doing blood sacrifice or sexually abusing children, I guess were OK with it.

Oh wait - Catholics and Warren Jeffs and friends, and Witnesses. Scratch the abusing children part. Just no blood sacrifice.

No, it is a business that calls itself a religion.

Calling it a business is being generous. At best it is a pyramid scheme.

It is amazes they've been able to stay in business with so few "members".

The people involved call it a religion. As does Joel Osteen but there is precious little of “sell all of your possessions and follow me” in his preaching.

It is not the purview of the government to decide what is or is not religious.

Sounds like yet a other win to me.

It's almost starting to get tiring.

I'm an agnostic. I celebrate "freedom of Religion" everyday!

I think you mean freedom from religion...

The smart and fair thing to do would be to remove tax exemption for all religions.

Who are any of us to say Scientology is "not a religion"? Of course it is.
I think there is a good reason to keep churches tax exempt, because it maintains separation of church and state. The law currently is that these churches cannot promote politicians, although its poorly enforced. If churches are taxed, then politics would become inseparable from religion. Keep the separation of church and state, keep churches out of business activity (or tax it as such), and keep churches out of politics.

But about Scientology: nobody in there considers this a religion, its an "applied philosophy" all about pumping up your ego. They only give a "shore story" about them being a region for tax exempt purpose. All of Scientology is a "shore story", Hubbard was a liar and a crank. But its a great story on the importance of family and the love that goes with that, because its completely absent in Scientology. Taxation is difficult because legal definition of religion.

"then politics would become inseparable from religion."

How so? we already have much of the Congress lying about believing in God... they lie to Americans and say they do not believe in evolution...

"Sounds like yet a other win to me. "

Yeah, you Trumpkins always seem to confuse declarations of victory with actual victories. ;)

"Sounds like yet a other win to me. "

Yeah, you Trumpkins always seem to confuse declarations of victory with actual victories. ;)

You could not recognize an actual victory if it hit you on the face.

No wonder, you don't have the experience to recognize a win. Losing, more losing and loserdom... probably cried like a baby on the election night.

I don’t like Scientology but this is a bad idea....slippery slope.

A long as we have racism, hate, and war, we'll never have freedom from religion.

Problem is, he and the Rs would gleefully take non-profit away from those with whom they disagree but wouldn't do the same across the board.

But yeah, the time for religions to lose their non-profit scam is long past.

Thoughtful and thought provoking ^^^.

A long as we have racism, hate, and war, we'll never have freedom from religion.

Problem is, he and the Rs would gleefully take non-profit away from those with whom they disagree but wouldn't do the same across the board.

But yeah, the time for religions to lose their non-profit scam is long past.
Im a right winger. I say remove all tax exemptions for all groups, period.

Forum List

Back