Trump Indictment Would Probably Be Overturned on Appeal: Dershowitz

I doubt Dersh said an indictment would be overturned on appeal because you don't appeal indictments.

A made-up charge that the NY Times says is a 'novel legal theory'.

Democrats turning America into a 🍌 republic. (A huge cadre of military-aged men decamped near our southern border recently).

If former President Donald Trump is indicted, he’ll probably be convicted but an appeal would likely lead to the conviction being thrown out, legal expert Alan Dershowitz said on March 18.​
“I don’t think there will be a motion to dismiss that succeeds. This is New York justice. In New York, of course you can indict a ham sandwich. But in New York, you can also convict a ham sandwich because the jury pool will be very much against Trump and the judges will be very much against Trump,” Dershowitz, professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, said during an appearance on Fox News.​
“So, if I were him, I would be worried today. He’ll probably ultimately win on appeal, but do judges today have the courage … to do something favorable to Trump in a city which overwhelmingly despises Trump? That’s what’s wrong with this justice system.”​
Trump is reportedly set to face an indictment for a payment made to Stormy Daniels, an adult actress who has made the contested claim that he had an affair with her. The payment was made by Trump lawyer Michael Cohen, and Trump reimbursed the lawyer. Trump has said the allegations were “debunked.”​
Dershowitz, who was part of Trump’s impeachment defense team in 2020, agreed. “There is no crime here,” he said.​

‘Used His Own Money’​

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said in a statement that most campaign finance violations involve spending other people’s money illegally or accepting money that you should not.​
“Trump did neither. He used his own money to resolve a private dispute, irrespective of any campaign. The impending indictment is based on an untested, tortured legal theory. This is an absurd abuse of the criminal process in our politics. It must be seen for the partisan pathetic ploy it is,” Gaetz, a Trump supporter, said.​
...​

There is much precedent showing this is not something you arrest people for. But the dems don't care. They would love to see Trump in handcuffs even if he gets right back out and is never convicted. It's called TDS.

There is much precedent showing this is not something you arrest people for. But the dems don't care. They would love to see Trump in handcuffs even if he gets right back out and is never convicted. It's called TDS.
After 6 years the one and only defense of Trump is screeching TDS and running away. This case will not get Dear Leader locked up but things will be different in Georgia. Stand outside the courtroom and scream TDS! Tell them all about Brandon too! :abgg2q.jpg:
Remind them that Hunter Biden owns a laptop!

After 6 years the one and only defense of Trump is screeching TDS and running away. This case will not get Dear Leader locked up but things will be different in Georgia. Stand outside the courtroom and scream TDS! Tell them all about Brandon too! :abgg2q.jpg:
Remind them that Hunter Biden owns a laptop!
All we've heard for six years is, "Be patient. It's right around the corner".

...​
Writing in his Substack newsletter, Dershowitz, a member of Trump's defense team during his first impeachment trial, asked, "Does anyone actually believe that if someone else were accused of paying hush money to avoid a sex scandal in the manner that Mr. Trump is suspected of doing, he would be prosecuted?"
The former president "should not be indicted for novel and unprecedented technical crimes for which no one else would be prosecuted," he wrote.​
Decrying "partisan selective prosecution," the renowned civil liberties lawyer concluded: "Equal protection of the law requires equal application and non-application of criminal statutes. Mr. Bragg would be violating that important principle if he seeks a grand jury indictment based on what now appears to be the slim evidence and even slimmer legal basis."

2aqcc7kmb7pa1.png

So I was right, Trump is a victim of racism....

It's a sad day in America......this is a racist country.....time to fight back

The guy in Pittsburgh who murdered 11 people in a synagogue in 2018 hasn`t been tried yet either. That doesn`t mean he`s off the hook.
You guys have been a constant, "Be patient. It's right around the corner" as every case falls apart one by one by one.

A made-up charge that the NY Times says is a 'novel legal theory'.

Democrats turning America into a 🍌 republic. (A huge cadre of military-aged men decamped near our southern border recently).

If former President Donald Trump is indicted, he’ll probably be convicted but an appeal would likely lead to the conviction being thrown out, legal expert Alan Dershowitz said on March 18.​
“I don’t think there will be a motion to dismiss that succeeds. This is New York justice. In New York, of course you can indict a ham sandwich. But in New York, you can also convict a ham sandwich because the jury pool will be very much against Trump and the judges will be very much against Trump,” Dershowitz, professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, said during an appearance on Fox News.​
“So, if I were him, I would be worried today. He’ll probably ultimately win on appeal, but do judges today have the courage … to do something favorable to Trump in a city which overwhelmingly despises Trump? That’s what’s wrong with this justice system.”​
Trump is reportedly set to face an indictment for a payment made to Stormy Daniels, an adult actress who has made the contested claim that he had an affair with her. The payment was made by Trump lawyer Michael Cohen, and Trump reimbursed the lawyer. Trump has said the allegations were “debunked.”​
Dershowitz, who was part of Trump’s impeachment defense team in 2020, agreed. “There is no crime here,” he said.​

‘Used His Own Money’​

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) said in a statement that most campaign finance violations involve spending other people’s money illegally or accepting money that you should not.​
“Trump did neither. He used his own money to resolve a private dispute, irrespective of any campaign. The impending indictment is based on an untested, tortured legal theory. This is an absurd abuse of the criminal process in our politics. It must be seen for the partisan pathetic ploy it is,” Gaetz, a Trump supporter, said.​
...​

No ham sandwich has ever been convicted by a jury

Can an indictment be appealed?
It can only be shot down on appeal If the defense council proves there were errors in the poceedings and were such that had they not occurred It is reasonable to assert that a different outcome would have been obtained

I am not a lawyer and this is my understanding of the law as a layman.

It can only be shot down on appeal If the defense council proves there were errors in the poceedings and were such that had they not occurred It is reasonable to assert that a different outcome would have been obtained

An indictment is nothing but a formal charge or accusation of a serious crime. Then it goes to court to see if it is accurate. What could there possibly be to appeal till after the trial part

If the indictment is not up to par, then that will come out in the trail.

He more than knew Epstein. He was a regular passenger on his plane and helped get him his initial sweatheart deal.

There is NO reason anyone still gives him the time of day.
Hmmm, does your outrage about Epstein's airplane extend to ALL the people who flew on it, or is this just a convenient mud ball to throw?

I'm not sure an indictment can be appealed. Dershowitz was saying that on appeal of a conviction they could seek to overturn the indictment. But that's a unique legal theory, because any failure of presenting exculpatory evidence to the grand jury, was corrected by the pre-trial discovery disclosure requirements.

So any errors in the indictment, were already corrected before the trial.

Dersch has been losing it for years and even he wasn't crazy enough to sign onto any of Trump's legal teams after the first impeachment trial. He just lobs a poop filled diapers out there every time Trump breaks the law.
0f course, he's spent his whole career getting guilty people acquitted. Notice he didn't say Trump was innocent or even not guilty.
That's because he's focused on the particulars of the legal case. Innocence and guilt are largely irrelevant when an attorney is commenting on apparent prosecutorial overreach.

Forum List

Back