Trump doing great for the economy.

Your argument is appeal to authority. It’s weak. Even your own attempt to make an argument failed. I can see why you want me to debate Rubenstein.
Authority? This is a CEO of multi billion asset manager who is not a Trump guy telling you the truth about the economy. Why is going to SMEs a bad debate

Appeal to authority is a weak debate tactic. It shows you can’t make the argument yourself so you point so someone to make it for you. I can’t discuss the issue with someone who isn’t present.
I disagree. So if you and I have a disagreement about basketball and Coach K agrees with me over you, that should be ignored? Why? That is illogical. You’re just upset because the economy is doing very well under a President you despise and you know that will likely lead to his re-election. Be honest with yourself.

I am honest with myself. I’m not claiming that Trump is cratering the economy. I’m not saying he’s a disaster. That’s the nonsense the people said about Obama (Trump especially).

The weakness in the appeal to authority goes like this:
You: Coach K agrees with me
Me: I disagree with Coach K for these reasons.
You: Lol, you think you know more than Coach K?

You can pretend to win any argument without having to make an argument if you happen to find one “expert” who agrees with you. Further, perhaps I come up with my own expert that disagree. Then we get into a useless argument about who’s expert is better.

Now, if you want to adopt a point made by someone as your own, go ahead, but you have to be able to 1. Explain the point and 2. Be able to defend it. You’re not really doing it.

Also; it’s funny to think of the average American worried about the ownership of corporate IP. If you think that’s what the Trump base isn’t worried about, you don’t know them very well.

Hold on. If you and I disagree on a basketball strategy. If you and I disagree and Coach K breaks the tie, then I win. Sorry. Coach K is arguably the GOAT. When my kids argue and I break the tie, then yes I am the authority. That is how life works. I have made several points, you disagreed, I broke the tie with the CEO from the Carlyle Group. He is not even a Trump guy. Who is an "average American"? I am sure most educated Americans do worry about it.
LOLOL

The tightwing Carlyle group is your tie breaker? The group that was connected to the Bush family?

1348488761322-smiley_rofl.gif

Even Yahoo! published an article stating as such. Excellent! - This is from the CEO of the Carlyle Group.

“He wouldn't be the first politician to exaggerate how his policies have been better than maybe they have been, but I think his policies have worked or something's working because the economy's doing well,” Rubenstein said. “Unemployment is low, interest rates are low, consumer spending is up, business spending is in pretty good shape, stock markets are at record highs.”

“What more can you ask of somebody is what I would say,” he added. “So there's a lot of consternation about him personally and some of his policies, but in the economy, it's hard to criticize him on the economy.”

The recovery started under Obama not Trump. The unemployment rate when Trump took over was 4.7%. Interest rates were low as well. Consumer spending was rising.

Rates started rising under Trump, they were not at historic lows. Recovery started under Bush by your logic as his admin passed TARP and began lowering the rates to the bottom, which cause stocks to jump up.

actually even with that tiny rise in rates they were still historically low...and still are. We will pay the price for that during the next recession.

Yes, that is true. Do not disagree.

Even Yahoo! published an article stating as such. Excellent! - This is from the CEO of the Carlyle Group.

“He wouldn't be the first politician to exaggerate how his policies have been better than maybe they have been, but I think his policies have worked or something's working because the economy's doing well,” Rubenstein said. “Unemployment is low, interest rates are low, consumer spending is up, business spending is in pretty good shape, stock markets are at record highs.”

“What more can you ask of somebody is what I would say,” he added. “So there's a lot of consternation about him personally and some of his policies, but in the economy, it's hard to criticize him on the economy.”

The recovery started under Obama not Trump. The unemployment rate when Trump took over was 4.7%. Interest rates were low as well. Consumer spending was rising.

Rates started rising under Trump, they were not at historic lows. Recovery started under Bush by your logic as his admin passed TARP and began lowering the rates to the bottom, which cause stocks to jump up.

actually even with that tiny rise in rates they were still historically low...and still are. We will pay the price for that during the next recession.

But Golfing Gator, that explanation requires understanding BASIC MATH, which 95% of those who post here do not....

STFU, you racist POS. So out of 100 posters here you claim 95 do not understand that 2+2=4? You're an idiot. Go jump in a frozen racist lake.

Authority? This is a CEO of multi billion asset manager who is not a Trump guy telling you the truth about the economy. Why is going to SMEs a bad debate

Appeal to authority is a weak debate tactic. It shows you can’t make the argument yourself so you point so someone to make it for you. I can’t discuss the issue with someone who isn’t present.
I disagree. So if you and I have a disagreement about basketball and Coach K agrees with me over you, that should be ignored? Why? That is illogical. You’re just upset because the economy is doing very well under a President you despise and you know that will likely lead to his re-election. Be honest with yourself.

I am honest with myself. I’m not claiming that Trump is cratering the economy. I’m not saying he’s a disaster. That’s the nonsense the people said about Obama (Trump especially).

You can pretend to win any argument without having to make an argument if you happen to find one “expert” who agrees with you. Further, perhaps I come up with my own expert that disagree. Then we get into a useless argument about who’s expert is better.

Now, if you want to adopt a point made by someone as your own, go ahead, but you have to be able to 1. Explain the point and 2. Be able to defend it. You’re not really doing it.

Also; it’s funny to think of the average American worried about the ownership of corporate IP. If you think that’s what the Trump base isn’t worried about, you don’t know them very well.

Hold on. If you and I disagree on a basketball strategy. If you and I disagree and Coach K breaks the tie, then I win. Sorry. Coach K is arguably the GOAT. When my kids argue and I break the tie, then yes I am the authority. That is how life works. I have made several points, you disagreed, I broke the tie with the CEO from the Carlyle Group. He is not even a Trump guy. Who is an "average American"? I am sure most educated Americans do worry about it.
LOLOL

The tightwing Carlyle group is your tie breaker? The group that was connected to the Bush family?

Did you not see the link? He stated he was a Bloomberg guy. What is a "tightwing"?

Rates did not rise very much and the Fed has reverted back to cutting rates. The recovery started under Obama and that is a fact. What has happened under Trump was a continuation of that. The last President who had a major effect on the economy was Ronald Reagan and his large across the board tax cuts when the economy was in recession.

LOLOL

David Rubenstein - Political - LittleSis

Here are his donations....yeah...real (R) he is. :290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final:

Rates did not rise very much and the Fed has reverted back to cutting rates. The recovery started under Obama and that is a fact. What has happened under Trump was a continuation of that. The last President who had a major effect on the economy was Ronald Reagan and his large across the board tax cuts when the economy was in recession.

Who Really Dug Us Out of the Great Recession?

Bush had a lot to do with it too. So now what?

Your argument is appeal to authority. It’s weak. Even your own attempt to make an argument failed. I can see why you want me to debate Rubenstein.

This is a really weak argument. It’s also really boring because it has nothing to do with the topic.

The points you tried to make failed spectacularly at helping your case. Every statistic you pointed to backed up my argument.

Eh, the effects of Reagan’s tax cuts are also overblown. Politicians always overstate the effectiveness of their policies.

Volker has a far bigger impact in turning the economy around. It’s just that most of the pain associated with the necessary policies is attributed (unfairly I think) to Carter.

This is a really weak argument. It’s also really boring because it has nothing to do with the topic.

The points you tried to make failed spectacularly at helping your case. Every statistic you pointed to backed up my argument.

I disagree. I believe your arguments are weak. The election will decide who is right. Statistics do not tell the whole story.

Eh, the effects of Reagan’s tax cuts are also overblown. Politicians always overstate the effectiveness of their policies.

Volker has a far bigger impact in turning the economy around. It’s just that most of the pain associated with the necessary policies is attributed (unfairly I think) to Carter.
Carter? Reagan? I was born in 1980. First time I paid a minute attention to politics was in 2000 when I voted for Gore.

Carter? Reagan? I was born in 1980. First time I paid a minute attention to politics was in 2000 when I voted for Gore.

You should have studied history at your overpriced colleges.

Why? History is a worthless skill unless you're rich and don't need to earn a living. I studied business and finance. Hence I get to sit at airports frequently but get to learn what many businesses do all over the country. Fun times! YAY!!!!!!

Colleges are overpriced. I agree. But that is because students can borrow money freely and pay the overpriced fees.

Why? History is a worthless skill unless you're rich and don't need to earn a living. I studied business and finance. Hence I get to sit at airports frequently but get to learn what many businesses do all over the country. Fun times! YAY!!!!!!

Colleges are overpriced. I agree. But that is because students can borrow money freely and pay the overpriced fees.

Colleges aren’t overpriced for the students they want. A smart student pays far lower prices than an average one. In a way, it’s free market capitalism in education. Colleges want good students and they want average students who pay the bills for everyone else.

History is very useful to everyone. I don’t think you got your money’s worth.

LOLOL

Here are his donations....yeah...real (R) he is. :290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final:
Carlyle Group - Political - LittleSis

LOLOL

I think it’s reasonable to assume that the things an investment banker looks for in an economy isn’t exactly what average Americans look for.

I think an investment banker is going to put much heavier emphasis on corporate taxes, stock market gains, when those have not as much impact on half of the country who is looking primarily for better wages and better working conditions.

Colleges aren’t overpriced for the students they want. A smart student pays far lower prices than an average one. In a way, it’s free market capitalism in education. Colleges want good students and they want average students who pay the bills for everyone else.

To me they are overpriced. But no one is forcing students to pay those prices. Colleges want students who will receive a high paying job when graduating and can give back and make them look better. I sit on a board of one. I know. History is useful but not as a college major. That is a waste of money. You didn't pay for my college, I did, so with all due respect your opinion is irrelevant. My education garnered me a job to support my family and allowed my wife to stay home and raise our kids for 10 yrs. So IMO I got my "money's worth". Plus my school kicks ass in college hoops! Go Devils!!!

LOLOL

I think it’s reasonable to assume that the things an investment banker looks for in an economy isn’t exactly what average Americans look for.

I think an investment banker is going to put much heavier emphasis on corporate taxes, stock market gains, when those have not as much impact on half of the country who is looking primarily for better wages and better working conditions.

I disagree. I look for stable earnings, potential growth, ingenuity, etc. A lot of the companies I work with are not even public. They are family owned companies looking to make a transition.

LOLOL

Are we discussing the group or Rubenstein. You were wrong. Rubenstein is not a Trump guy. Many in his company could be but they also give a notable percentage the Democrats.

To me they are overpriced. But no one is forcing students to pay those prices. Colleges want students who will receive a high paying job when graduating and can give back and make them look better. I sit on a board of one. I know. History is useful but not as a college major. That is a waste of money. You didn't pay for my college, I did, so with all due respect your opinion is irrelevant. My education garnered me a job to support my family and allowed my wife to stay home and raise our kids for 10 yrs. So IMO I got my "money's worth". Plus my school kicks ass in college hoops! Go Devils!!!

Didn’t say anything about a history major. I think knowing history is what sets the informed public apart from the uninformed public.

Alumni donations account for a small percentage of their their funding. 10% in 2017.
Personal giving pushes donations to colleges and universities to new level in 2017

They lower their prices for better students, jack them up for worse students. The average is able to cover the bills but it lets dumb rich kids take up spots in higher education that would be better served by just trying to take the best you can find. The whole system is distortionary and one of the ways that our society perpetuates wealth by heritage. Anyway, that’s just my soapbox.

Forum List

Back