Trump desire to suspend the Constitution is not a deal breaker to Republicans

Every American should be condemning what trump said, here you're twisting it, trying to make it a political thing and talking about other scenarios. It's a stupid tactic, please try to stay on subject. trump is a serious threat to our national security now. Maybe the biggest threat. We are better than this.
So, with the revelation of MASSIVE & WIDESPREAD FRAUD & DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC, & the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great “Founders” did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!
You are correct, Trump did not say suspend……He said TERMINATE
I don't think it's unfair to assume that many of these people would be fine with what Trump wants.

And there, of course, is the problem. Not what Trump said, but that they will not hold him accountable. What he has said does not disqualify him with them.

They're now so driven by rage and paranoia that they're willing to sacrifice our Constitution to avoid whatever it is they're being told will happen if they don't.

That's just where we are. It's out in the open now.

What is the dnc doing partering with a private company, to supress first amendment rights, it was electioneering it was an attack on the constitution, however I have seen that what you state, would be the defense democrats use to excuse suppressing first amendment rights. So nice talking poijnts

The DNC is a private entity, not a part of the Government.

Is what Twitter did any worse than FoxNews host getting on stage and opening campaigning with Trump?

I don't think it's unfair to assume that many of these people would be fine with what Trump wants.

And there, of course, is the problem. Not what Trump said, but that they will not hold him accountable. What he has said does not disqualify him with them.

They're now so driven by rage and paranoia that they're willing to sacrifice our Constitution to avoid whatever it is they're being told will happen if they don't.

That's just where we are. It's out in the open now.
What is most upsetting is that Trump tells his base to throw out an election and declare him the winner

And they CHEER

It is nothing like that. Repub voters have looked for an oasis in the desert for a long time. Cutting ties with one of the very few who have heard them is a tough choice to make.
He hasn't heard them. He only pretends. He's a Con Artist and the MAGAts (they predate Rump) grabbed on with both butt cheeks.

Upsetting yes, but not surprising.
I see lots of posts about dumb Don this morning, but where are the threads on Twitter, Biden, and the DNC stealing the election? They committed an INSURRECTION! They ignored our SACRED CONSTITUUUUUTION.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!
1670246977544.gif

Is there anything Trump can say or do that IS a Deal Breaker to Republicans?

But Stephanopoulos pressed further, and Joyce ultimately said that Trump's comment should be taken "in context" but that it wouldn't prevent him from supporting Trump if he ends up winning the nomination.

You can't come out against someone who's for suspending the Constitution?" Stephanopoulos pushed back once again.

"He says a lot of things, but that doesn't mean that it's ever going to happen. So you got to [separate] fact from fantasy
People and Trump say a lot of shit. Just because someone says that the Constitution should be suspended doesn't mean it will be. I guess you forgot that we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. One man can't do that.

People and Trump say a lot of shit. Just because someone says that the Constitution should be suspended doesn't mean it will be. I guess you forgot that we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. One man can't do that.

That is not the point, the point is that he thinks the rules of the Constitution terminated. Not suspended, but terminated.

Do you agree with him?

So you are claiming that just because Trump can’t actually do it…….It is acceptable for him to advocate that it be done?

So you are claiming that just because Trump can’t actually do it…….It is acceptable for him to advocate that it be done?

Which murders people in masses. It's gone way past the cute stage. Now (starting on J6) it's getting people killed.

Trump’s call for suspending the Constitution is too dangerous to ignore​

There was a time, in the naive spring and summer of 2015, when I deemed Donald Trump beneath my notice and refused to write about him: Why soil myself, I thought, and also: Surely he will fade away.
I finally caved, in July 2015, with this prescient sentence: “Do not worry about Donald Trump becoming president.
There was a time, in the increasingly appalling months and years that followed, that I deemed Trump too dangerous to disregard and I could not stop calling out his never-ending, ever-escalating outrages against American democracy. Mexican judges. Enemies of the state. Fake news. Muslim bans.
Even a columnist gets tired of repeating herself. And so, during his final stretch in office, and in the years since, I mostly averted my gaze. I called out Trump last August, when he warned darkly of “riots in the streets” after the Justice Department’s search of his Mar-a-Lago residence and before that, in December 2020, when he released a 46-minute video rant assailing the election.

But I mostly thought: Why bother? Shaming targets and convincing readers are the columnist’s goals. With Trump, no minds will be changed, and neither will his behavior.
And yet, there are times when attention must be paid — if only to lay down a marker, if only (grandiose as this may sound) so historians will understand: This went too far. This cannot be allowed to stand without being denounced.
I might have made this choice in the aftermath of Trump’s dinner with antisemites and Nazi sympathizers Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) and Nick Fuentes. Who could have imagined, in the time before Trump, that a former president of the United States and declared candidate for president would so sully himself and the office?

But I am moved, now, to write about Trump’s latest post, on his Truth Social network, because it is at least equally dangerous and even more insidious.

“So, with the revelation of MASSIVE & WIDESPREAD FRAUD & DECEPTION in working closely with Big Tech Companies, the DNC & the Democrat Party, do you throw the Presidential election results of 2020 OUT and declare the Rightful Winner, or do you have a new election,” Trump posted. “A massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution. Our great Founders did not want, and would not condone, False & Fraudulent Elections!”
And, he followed up, “UNPRECEDENTED FRAUD REQUIRES UNPRECEDENTED CURE!”

Pause to take this in. The former and would-be future president has suggested suspending the Constitution in support of his deranged belief that he won the election and that its results are subject to change. A man who took an oath to “preserve, protect and defend” the Constitution now has hijacked “our great Founders” in the service of his megalomania.

No.
This is insurrectionism by social media. Nothing — and certainly not imaginary “Fraud,” capitalized or not — “allows for the termination” of constitutional guarantees. Trump is laying the groundwork for a coup.
We can dismiss the post as just the latest Trumpian bluster, something he will never be capable of implementing. Yet the mere willingness to entertain and encourage extra-constitutional action is alarming coming from a man who is seeking to return to office.

Which is why Trump’s words must be highlighted — and called out. I’m past expecting Republican leaders to speak out. We know that, for most, their spines have collapsed and their courage reduced to a shrunken kernel.
Trump “says a lot of things, but that doesn’t mean that it’s ever going to happen,” was the most that Rep. David Joyce (Ohio), chair of the Republican Governance Group, could choke out in response to questions by ABC’s George Stephanopoulos.

The White House was right to rebuke Trump. “Attacking the Constitution and all it stands for is anathema to the soul of our nation and should be universally condemned,” spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement. If anything, the words should have been issued in the name of the president himself.

Others made more puzzling choices. For a full day, the New York Times, so far as I can find, made no mention of Trump’s post. I assume this was not an oversight but a deliberate decision not to let Trump hijack its product for his unpatriotic purposes.
I get it, but I’m glad the Times relented with a news report Sunday afternoon. The episode embodies the paradox of dealing with Donald Trump. We do not want to give him oxygen, yet there are times we dare not ignore him. This is one. It should be neither excused nor forgotten.

Forum List

Back