Trump bragged that his tower withstood a fire — silent about lack of sprinklers

Yes, that's why Trump fought so hard against that law.

As did any owner of an existing building coming under the proposed law, in all of New York City.

Your hate and desperation certainly destroy your perspective on virtually everything. Sad.

:lol:

Of course all the other developers fought that law as well. But I'm confused about your comments about "perspective".

The vast majority of those developers are scum - but only one of the them is President.

You dance of the grave of a dead man, not because Trump is right - but because you're a disgusting human being.

That's just stupid. No other way to describe it, just stupid.

Go re-read the thread. Tell me what you think of his comments.

You made that comment, no one else.

Yes. But my comments were in reaction to this post:

If the little guy is dumb enough to live in a condo, not a chance!

Too bad, so sad!

Caveat emptor!

You can endlessly edit quotes to remove context, and then play dumb - but the whole thread is here. We can all see it.

How much money does Trump Tower make per year?

How does this matter?

It's super convenient to edit out the context, and then try to question it - isn't it?

It allows you to pretend that you've made a point.

So it does not matter whatsoever. What point did you think you were making?

A poster commented on the projected cost of installing sprinklers. I responded with a question of how much money the building makes, because quoting a cost without including the context of who is paying it is meaningless.

If Trump Tower pulls in $700 million dollars a year, $10 million to install sprinklers isn't really that big of a deal.

When I owned rental properties, mostly single houses but a few duplexes, I offered to install sprinklers if the tenants would agree to a $2/month rent increase. A figure that would cover the installation costs in about 2,500 months. For you mathematically challenged liberals, that's 208 years, 4 months. Not really expecting any tenant to stay that long nor even to own any of the properties that long. Point was, did they want sprinklers enough to put a tiny bit of skin in the game.

One tenant did. She was 83 years old at the time and valued every minute she had left. Her unit got a very high grade sprinkler system installed very quickly. The others? A few didn't want the mess of the installation; most objected to paying $24 more per years (libs: $2 per month times 12 months in a year = $24).

The others failed to see ANY value in sprinklers so I simply honored their wishes. Over the years one of the houses had a fire. A grease fire on the stove which would have been made worse by sprinklers. But the dumb shit living there tried to throw the flaming pan out a closed window so there was more damage than there should have been. Most of it to his clothing but enough skin damage to make him smart. Smart as in suffer a little pain - not to increase intelligence. Could have saved his skin had he put a tiny bit in the game.

I've been a Realtor in Tallahassee, FL and have traveled all over the state giving seminars and lectures. That has been over 40 years. I've never seen a single-family residence, duplex, quadruplex or anything of the sort with a sprinkler system. Complete waste of money. Quality smoke and CO2 alarms are more than sufficient.

If you don't understand the difference between the types of homes you just listed, and Trump Tower and a fire on the 50TH FLOOR, you are a piss poor Realtor.

I'm sure you thought you had a point when you hit "POST REPLY", might you explain?

A poster commented on the projected cost of installing sprinklers. I responded with a question of how much money the building makes, because quoting a cost without including the context of who is paying it is meaningless.

If Trump Tower pulls in $700 million dollars a year, $10 million to install sprinklers isn't really that big of a deal.

Because a business "pull in $700 million a year, does not mean their expenses are zero.

If the residential units are condominiums, then the homeowner's association would be responsible for the cost. The owners would vote to assess each owner a percentage of the cost.

When purchasing a condominium you receive a deed to your specific unit plus a percentage of all the common areas. If there are 100 units you would receive a deed for your specific unit plus 1/100th of all the common areas.

Of course all the other developers fought that law as well. But I'm confused about your comments about "perspective".

The vast majority of those developers are scum - but only one of the them is President.

The vast majority of developers are fine people who work hard, take big risks for which they are entitled to big returns.

Because a business "pull in $700 million a year, does not mean their expenses are zero.

If the residential units are condominiums, then the homeowner's association would be responsible for the cost. The owners would vote to assess each owner a percentage of the cost.

When purchasing a condominium you receive a deed to your specific unit plus a percentage of all the common areas. If there are 100 units you would receive a deed for your specific unit plus 1/100th of all the common areas.

It is made more complicated because Trump Tower is a mixed-used building - a large percentage of the real estate is office space or retail space, which is owned by the Trump Organization and rented. Only the residential space is condos.

I think the cost Trump was afraid of paying was the installation cost for unowned condos.

The vast majority of developers are fine people who work hard, take big risks for which they are entitled to big returns.

Let's reframe that.

Are the vast majority of NYC developers 20 years ago "fine people who work hard"?

When I owned rental properties, mostly single houses but a few duplexes, I offered to install sprinklers if the tenants would agree to a $2/month rent increase. A figure that would cover the installation costs in about 2,500 months. For you mathematically challenged liberals, that's 208 years, 4 months. Not really expecting any tenant to stay that long nor even to own any of the properties that long. Point was, did they want sprinklers enough to put a tiny bit of skin in the game.

One tenant did. She was 83 years old at the time and valued every minute she had left. Her unit got a very high grade sprinkler system installed very quickly. The others? A few didn't want the mess of the installation; most objected to paying $24 more per years (libs: $2 per month times 12 months in a year = $24).

The others failed to see ANY value in sprinklers so I simply honored their wishes. Over the years one of the houses had a fire. A grease fire on the stove which would have been made worse by sprinklers. But the dumb shit living there tried to throw the flaming pan out a closed window so there was more damage than there should have been. Most of it to his clothing but enough skin damage to make him smart. Smart as in suffer a little pain - not to increase intelligence. Could have saved his skin had he put a tiny bit in the game.

I've been a Realtor in Tallahassee, FL and have traveled all over the state giving seminars and lectures. That has been over 40 years. I've never seen a single-family residence, duplex, quadruplex or anything of the sort with a sprinkler system. Complete waste of money. Quality smoke and CO2 alarms are more than sufficient.

If you don't understand the difference between the types of homes you just listed, and Trump Tower and a fire on the 50TH FLOOR, you are a piss poor Realtor.

I'm sure you thought you had a point when you hit "POST REPLY", might you explain?

So you admit you are so incompetent that you don't realize the distinctive differences between needing a sprinkler system in a small structure versus that of a high rise building? Good to know. Can I have one of your business cards so in case I am ever shopping for a home in Florida I know who NOT to contact?

How do you think the people on floors 51 and up in Trump Tower felt during that fire? And now knowing there is not an adequate sprinkler system?

Trump bragged that his tower withstood a fire — but has been silent about the man who died in it

I guess the thought that he was against something that may have saved a life...escapes him?

Billionaire too cheap to install sprinklers.

"After the fire, Trump’s former opposition to a law requiring sprinklers in residential high-rise buildings came under scrutiny. In the 1990s and early 2000s, Trump lobbied against a bill that would have required sprinklers to be installed in all residential buildings in New York, backing down only after existing buildings such as his own were allowed to be grandfathered in, the New York Daily News reported.

On Saturday, Nigro confirmed to reporters to that no sprinklers were in place in the upper residential floors of Trump Tower, where the fire broke out.

Several residents also spoke of the fear and chaos that erupted after they realized their building was on fire.

“It was a very horrible experience . . . there was no evacuation system in place . . . we were at a loss of what to do. I almost fainted. I thought we would die,” Lalitha Mason, who lives on the 36th floor of Trump Tower, told the New York Post. “My husband is disabled and we were helpless. All we could do is put wet towels under the door and pray.”"

For the president, however, the fire seemed first a chance to boast of the construction quality of Trump Tower on Twitter, his preferred method of communicating with the public.

“Very confined (well built building),” Trump tweeted Saturday, about an hour after the fire broke out. “Firemen (and women) did a great job. THANK YOU!”

Fire at Trump Tower is out. Very confined (well built building). Firemen (and women) did a great job. THANK YOU!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 7, 2018
Trump also declared that the fire had been extinguished — before it actually had been.

The fire was still not considered to be under control then because of smoke conditions above the 50th floor, Nigro said Saturday. It was brought under control shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday, about an hour after Trump’s tweet, fire officials said.

“This was a very difficult fire. As you can imagine, the apartment is quite large; we are 50 stories up,” Nigro said. “The rest of the building had a considerable amount of smoke.”

Though Trump thanked the “firemen (and women)” who responded to the blaze, his tweet made no mention of those who had suffered injuries.

At the time, the resident who had been pulled from his burning Trump Tower apartment was listed in critical condition, and officials initially said four firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Officials later announced that the Trump Tower resident had died at Mount Sinai Hospital and identified him as 67-year-old Todd Brassner, who lived in unit 50C. They also revised the count of injured firefighters from four to six.

Nevertheless, Trump’s Saturday evening tweet has remained the only comment he has made regarding the fire in his building, where he keeps an office and a residence. The White House said Saturday that the first family was not in New York when the fire broke out.

On Sunday morning, Trump posted about a half-dozen tweets on a variety of subjects, including the “rigged” investigation into Hillary Clinton and how he and Chinese President Xi Jinping would “always be friends, no matter what happens with our dispute on trade.” But he has not revisited the Trump Tower fire, even after news of Brassner’s death.

Impeach 45!
Maybe y’all got something this time ( Trump left the iron out that started the fire maybe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had you actually read the article..which I doubt..most of you regs never do...you'd have noted that the issue was that New York City made it mandatory for ALL high-rises to have sprinklers..Trump fought that law until the city caved and grandfathered Trump's buildings in.

That's a flat-out lie. Are you so filled with hate that you are forced to make up stories?

ALL high rise residential buildings in existence were grandfathered in.

Having lied about something so easy to check renders your post useless.
What are you talking about? Ahh..I see..you think I meant only Trump's buildings--no where did I say that..you should read more closely. Trump did fight the law..and his opposition did eventually get all buildings built before a certain date grandfathered--thus getting his buildings exempted. You wold be a fool if you tried to assert that Trump did all this for all high rise owners..he did it for himself..obviously.

Are you so filled with hate you need to make up stories?

I've never seen a single-family residence, duplex, quadruplex or anything of the sort with a sprinkler system
How many of those were on the 50th floor?

How many 50-story single-family residence, duplex, quadruplex have you seen lately?

Well, I think his point was that there are inherent logistical differences in surviving a fire in a two-story home, and a fire in a high rise apartment building.

I grew up in a single family, three-story townhouse in Brooklyn. Had there been a fire, there were a lot of possible exits - 2 front doors, a back door, 4 windows on the first floor, 1 on the second that was safe to exit from, a ladder to the roof on the third floor, and a chain rope ladder we could drop out of the 3rd floor bathroom window.

Right now, I live on the 6th floor of an apartment building with about a hundred units. There's one exit, leading to a hallway that could easily be blocked or bottleneck, and is the only exit for 10 apartments.
So you admit you are not too bright?

Shhh. Adults are talking.

You should take your own advice there Spanky!

Only an idiot would live in a condo in the first place.

Why?

Just my humble opinion. You subject yourself to all the hazards of apartment living and then get to pat ridiculous amounts for them to take care of the common areas. I had an aunt that owned a condo. When she passed away, we put it on the market and it did not sell for even what she paid for it 20 years ago. Her condo fees were s much as her payment.

Yes, that's why Trump fought so hard against that law.

As did any owner of an existing building coming under the proposed law, in all of New York City.

Your hate and desperation certainly destroy your perspective on virtually everything. Sad.

Your opinion, which is worth nothing, based on your past history of being wrong about everything under the sun.

Forum List

Back