Tracy Chapman Luke Combs duet was magical.

No, actually songwriting is the way to make money. Performing and recording no longer makes money.

Mel Torme wrote 'The Christmas Song' (Chestnuts Roasting ...) back in the 50s, I believe. That song generates over $3 million per year in royalties for his son James and the Torme family.
Yes, I was coming into respond that she's been made incredibly wealthy off of that one song.

Well before this Luke guy or whatever decided to do his remake.

It's a mega hit decades old song.

And every idiot knows that writing is where the money's at, you're getting a cut anytime that song is sung or performed anywhere.

47b8f6bf-005f-4539-854a-8657018099e2_text.gif
senior-good-fellas.gif

No, actually songwriting is the way to make money. Performing and recording no longer makes money.

Mel Torme wrote 'The Christmas Song' (Chestnuts Roasting ...) back in the 50s, I believe. That song generates over $3 million per year in royalties for his son James and the Torme family.
That's one of my favorites. Mel Torme was a great songwriter.

And back 10 years ago songwriting was still bringing in the cash.....but now that A.I. has come on the scene, and everyone is writing using computers.....songwriting is easier.....and they're producing songs that aren't the quality they used to. So writing songs doesn't bring in the dough like it used to. Not to mention the fact that once a song is a set number of years old copyrights expire. Not to mention everyone is streaming music instead of buying records and CDs. If you write a hit and it gets 200 million hits your song will only get around $25,000.00 before taxes. The fact that nobody buys records or CDs anymore destroyed the profit. So they have to go on tour and sell tickets to earn big money.

Hard to believe a song written 36 years ago by a black woman became CMA's country music song of the year this year (well last year). To give you an idea, this song was written during the Reagan administration. It sounds so modern, I don't know why.

Luke's remake was ok, but there is something about her voice, it just works for this song. And that melody, wow.

Here she is in the original music video many moons ago:

Last edited:
Hard to believe a song written 36 years ago by a black woman became CMA's country music song of the year this year (well last year). To give you an idea, this song was written during the Reagan administration. It sounds so modern, I don't know why.

Luke's remake was ok, but there is something about her voice, it just works for this song. And that melody, wow.

Here she is in the original music video many moons ago:

I don't think country folks care who wrote the thing. They just like singing and dancing to it.

I've heard it said that writers do not get anything until their songs are on the radio. It is pointed out at the beginning of this clip.

God bless you and James and the rest of the songwriting community always!!!

Holly

I am pro-America, pro-Trump, pro-American poor people and color blind. If you have a problem with that or you come at me, you will have a problem.
Then the sentiment you espoused in the previous post was a lie.

If you write a one in a million hit song, sure that can be a gravy train. All in all music is a very difficult way to make a living for most songwriters and musicians.

Yes, I was coming into respond that she's been made incredibly wealthy off of that one song.

Well before this Luke guy or whatever decided to do his remake.

It's a mega hit decades old song.

And every idiot knows that writing is where the money's at, you're getting a cut anytime that song is sung or performed anywhere.

47b8f6bf-005f-4539-854a-8657018099e2_text.gif
senior-good-fellas.gif
What a charming post. Always great when the haters show up.

I've heard it said that writers do not get anything until their songs are on the radio. It is pointed out at the beginning of this clip.

God bless you and James and the rest of the songwriting community always!!!

Holly

Most people don't listen to the radio for music anymore.
They stream it on their laptops and their cell phones.
Fewer commercials.

Forum List

Back