Top 10 tennis best in open era

Is Serena the goat?

No! Serena had the potential to be the unquestionable GOAT but ended up "underachieving" due to outside interests! She came and left the WTA Tour as she pleased, at times "playing herself" into shape at the AO in Jan.! I just couldn't imagine true hardcore topflight players treating their passion like that! Even though she surpassed Graf to make 23 Majors won in the Open Era, Martina Navratilova blows up all the other numbers and records out there winning 18 (6 in a row) Singles Majors to go along with 41 doubles Chps: 10 in Mixed Doubles! Serena has about half the number of tournaments even though she's playing more seasons! Martina has 167 Singles titles and 177 in doubles! Evert comes close with 157 Singles titles! - Fan Page - Borg/Navratilova - (70's-90's) -

No! Serena had the potential to be the unquestionable GOAT but ended up "underachieving" due to outside interests! She came and left the WTA Tour as she pleased, at times "playing herself" into shape at the AO in Jan.! I just couldn't imagine true hardcore topflight players treating their passion like that! Even though she surpassed Graf to make 23 Majors won in the Open Era, Martina Navratilova blows up all the other numbers and records out there winning 18 (6 in a row) Singles Majors to go along with 41 doubles Chps: 10 in Mixed Doubles! Serena has about half the number of tournaments even though she's playing more seasons! Martina has 167 Singles titles and 177 in doubles! Evert comes close with 157 Singles titles! - Fan Page - Borg/Navratilova - (70's-90's) -
And Serena would beat her like a drum.

Fiero425

You don’t think Serena Williams beats Navratilova 9 out of 10 matches?

Absolutely not! Martina's way of playing and attacking relentlessly approaching the net dealt with the best of them in her era who hit every bit as hard as Serena! Navratilova was defeating Graf and Seles in her waning years approaching 40 by taking it to them even though twice their age! Williams had trouble with Navratilova's namesake Hingis at times and she hit powder puff shots winning with her brain! Serena wasn't that dominating no matter how they laud her! She started having terrible losses in Major finals; the Wimbledon wipeouts by Kerber and Halep in '18 & '19 respectively still baffle me! Navratilova's the true Queen of Tennis! :p :beer::springbed::stir::blowpop:

So she’s played less games and won more majors?

Please don’t include doubles. Lol

Majors are all that matter.

Tiger and Lebron don’t get to claim goat status because they didn’t win enough championships. But I’m sure they’ve broken records

Ill say this. I believe Martina would have beat Serena. Mentally. And Martina had the physical too.

Absolutely not! Martina's way of playing and attacking relentlessly approaching the net dealt with the best of them in her era who hit every bit as hard as Serena! Navratilova was defeating Graf and Seles in her waning years approaching 40 by taking it to them even though twice their age! Williams had trouble with Navratilova's namesake Hingis at times and she hit powder puff shots winning with her brain! Serena wasn't that dominating no matter how they laud her! She started having terrible losses in Major finals; the Wimbledon wipeouts by Kerber and Halep in '18 & '19 respectively still baffle me! Navratilova's the true Queen of Tennis! :p :beer::springbed::stir::blowpop:
Martina didnt have to deal with the speed and power that the players do today. She can be as mentally tough as she wants but if she cant physically get to the ball it doesnt matter. Athletes are bigger faster and stronger today than years ago. We will have this same discussion 10 years from now when someone comes along whos bigger faster and stronger than Serena.

Fiero425

You can think it's funny all you want but the data on how hard tennis players were hitting the ball 30-40 years ago exists and it's a whole lot slower than today.

Fiero425

You can think it's funny all you want but the data on how hard tennis players were hitting the ball 30-40 years ago exists and it's a whole lot slower than today.

Martina was dealing with heavy pace from Graf and Seles! They could run her ragged even though more an athlete than either of them! Chipping and charging the net can overcome limited players who only know how to take the cover off the ball! How boring! :itsok: :stir::blowpop::dunno::bigbed:

Martina was dealing with heavy pace from Graf and Seles! They could run her ragged even though more an athlete than either of them! Chipping and charging the net can overcome limited players who only know how to take the cover off the ball! How boring! :itsok: :stir::blowpop::dunno::bigbed:
And neither one of them hit the ball anywhere near as hard or fast as Serena Williams or many of the top female tennis players of today. You're making the mistake of trying to compare today's athlete with one from over 30 years ago. Like it or not they just don't compare be that nutrition, training, starting earlier whatever. But it doesn't matter because it is what it is. Stephi Graf (from what I can find) rarely if ever broke 100 mph on her serve. Serena AVERAGES 105. Martina was a great player she's just not as good as Serena. BTW her top end serve is over 128 MPH 3rd fastest ever in the history of womens tennis.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back