Too harsh! Trump suggests Desantis' 6 week abortion law went too far

The tenth amendment doesn't require compromise.

It means states can do what they want.
True...but the Federal Government is really good at blackmailing the states to do as they are told.

When Jimmy Carter wanted a National 55 MPH speed limit... the Federal Government made highway grants available only to states with a 55 MPH speed limit. They all fell in line.

What you are saying sounds a like a nationwide abortion ban...or severe restrictions...which I expect is the ultimate goal of the religious zealots that have infiltrated the Republican party.

Can you please quote what it was I posted that "sounds like" that is what I'm saying?

Actually, this shows Trump's evolution as a politician. He knows he did the one thing every conservative since 1973 has wanted, which is to make abortion a state-level issue. So he earned his street cred for that alone.

On the flip side, there's clear evidence that some of these super strict anti-abortion laws are motivating moderate women to switch parties and motivating some women who've probably not even cared to vote, to come out and vote against Republicans.

Trump's the smart one here.

Doesn't change how I feel about Trump/MAGA but Trump is going to destroy DeSantis on this issue. There may be other weaknesses DeSantis can exploit but Trump's got him trapped here.

I'm one of the "religious nuts"...and fervently anti-abortion.

Everyone outside of the abortion debate calls it a baby.

Only people with an agenda use the word "fetus" to describe what a pregnant woman is carrying in her womb.

Ever heard a pregnant woman say 'the fetus just kicked'?

Or "I have a neonatal appointment to check on my fetus's health".

So, no. You haven't found an ally in your quest to purge the religious with me.
Your extremism doesn't help the party. Trump's moderate position is the way to go.

True...but the Federal Government is really good at blackmailing the states to do as they are told.

When Jimmy Carter wanted a National 55 MPH speed limit... the Federal Government made highway grants available only to states with a 55 MPH speed limit. They all fell in line.
Do you think that is what the fed should do? Lean on states? How would they lean? Pro or Foe? Would it swing back and forth every time we got a new president?

Can you please quote what it was I posted that "sounds like" that is what I'm saying?
From post 13.

"I'm one of the "religious nuts"...and fervently anti-abortion."

Do you think that is what the fed should do? Lean on states? How would they lean? Pro or Foe? Would it swing back and forth every time we got a new president?

I think it's going to be the original compromise...1st trimester.

They'll lean on the Red states to move it up, and the Blue states to move it down.

There will be exceptions ... but with safeguards to keep them from being abused.

From post 13.

"I'm one of the "religious nuts"...and fervently anti-abortion."
Did you read the rest of that post?

I think it's going to be the original compromise...1st trimester.

They'll lean on the Red states to move it up, and the Blue states to move it down.

There will be exceptions ... but with safeguards to keep them from being abused.

Who would lean on red states? Which republican candidate now would lean in red states? What would religious organizations do then? You think they would compromise? Nope. It would destroy Trump's or DeSantis in a heartbeat.

Did you read the rest of that post?
Yes.

That funny because I think people who care about the constitution have advocated for Roe to stay the law of the land.
Then you’re retarded and unable to think at all.

Read the Constitution if you can somehow gain a double digit IQ.

Roe was entirely unreasonable and inconsistent with the text - pure judicial activism bullshit.

Who would lean on red states? Which republican candidate now would lean in red states? What would religious organizations do then? You think they would compromise? Nope. It would destroy Trump's or DeSantis in a heartbeat.

Yes.
For a good compromise...I think you'd be surprised.

Here's how you sell it.

A baby in the womb feels pain at 22 weeks.

Right now anyone in your state can travel to a Blue state and get an abortion at ANY stage of pregnancy, even beyond viability.

A compromise ends suffering of innocent children.

It's not perfect. But it's better than the alternative.

Last edited:
That funny because I think people who care about the constitution have advocated for Roe to stay the law of the land.
Let me couch that a little more nicely than the previous poster.

The Constitution enumerates specific rights.

If it can be interpreted to make ANYTHING a right...then it is useless.

Donald Trump seems to be open to admitting that when a woman is pregnant whatever is in her womb is not always a "baby".
Then he’d be wrong.

As a moderate conservative I believe that this is a good view and Desantis is too much of a conservative.
So you’re a pro-abort.

Do you think a woman has a baby in her womb throughout the whole pregnancy?
Unborn human beings are human beings for the whole pregnancy, yes. Does being a “moderate conservative” mean rejecting reason and scientific fact?

I mean Desantis’s new law is inadequate but it is a step in the right direction. 6 weeks is 6 weeks too late, and the laws need to prosecute the mothers who kill their kids. They also need to prosecute them exactly as harshly as when born kids are killed.

Then you’re retarded and unable to think at all.

Yes, I am familiar with cult speak. Think like you or I'm "retarded". Good grief.

Read the Constitution if you can somehow gain a double digit IQ.

Roe was entirely unreasonable and inconsistent with the text - pure judicial activism bullshit.
No it wasn't.

The activism is likely striking Roe down.

That funny because I think people who care about the constitution have advocated for Roe to stay the law of the land
Only because they seem to find a constitutional right to abortion in the constitution... But there isn't one..... you are welcome to look but there is not a right to abortion in the US constitution...

There was before 50 years of constitutional precedent was changed by an activist court.
Laws aren't based on precedent they are based on the US constitution.... if we had a precedent that allowed men to rape women it would still not be legal to do so.....

Laws aren't based on precedent they are based on the US constitution.... if we had a precedent that allowed men to rape women it would still not be legal to do so.....
For real? Lol.

Decisions on laws are about precedent. It provides consistency in there implementation.

"Precedent refers to a court decision that is considered as authority for deciding subsequent cases involving identical or similar facts, or similar legal issues. Precedent is incorporated into the doctrine of stare decisis and requires courts to apply the law in the same manner to cases with the same facts. Some judges have stated that precedent ensures that individuals in similar situations are treated alike instead of based on a particular judge’s personal views."

SCOTUS didn't do it because they had too, they did it because that is what the federalist society wanted and republican presidents only pick from a shortlist of judges the federalist society allows.
Why did RBG intimate the R v W decision should have been left to state legislators?

For real? Lol.

Decisions on laws are about precedent. It provides consistency in there implementation.

"Precedent refers to a court decision that is considered as authority for deciding subsequent cases involving identical or similar facts, or similar legal issues. Precedent is incorporated into the doctrine of stare decisis and requires courts to apply the law in the same manner to cases with the same facts. Some judges have stated that precedent ensures that individuals in similar situations are treated alike instead of based on a particular judge’s personal views."
Wait a minute... precedent you are showing in that link are constitutionally based laws that have passed muster in the court... the case of Roe V Wade was pushed down the throat of the nation without precedent... so it was a wrong that had to be corrected and it was as predicted by legal scholars ever since that day including justice Ginsburg....
Roe V Wade was established without precedent or a vote of the people..... it was a judicial dictate... we are not a dictatorship....

Forum List

Back