Tom Steele: Republicans can't win

The GOP doesn't need a "majority" just a small enough difference for the "blue dogs" to swing the vote the right way.

First let me say this I tend to agree that winning back a Majority is a bit of a stretch, but am pretty sure that the Democrats and the Republicans know that a super-majority won't last past this falls election. That said, Michael Steele, doesn't exactly glow confidence as the head of the RNC, then again his skills as the head of the RNC have not been all that outstandingt to begin with. If you were faced with a mid-term election that could possibly win back some of the Republicans seats and also restore some of the partys pride a little, don't you think from a financial standpoint you might be ready for that? Mr. Steele has seen to it that the RNC's budget is at such a low point that there are funding problems. This might explain why many had reservations on his election in the frist place. Frankly, I'm not surprised by a thing Michael Steele does when it comes to running the party. One of the things you would think though as the head of a major political party you would want to do is champion your party anyway you can, rather than lowering expectations, says a lot about motivation.

Steele is far from an inspirational leader. He also lacks the ability to forge backroom agreements. A year into his leadership and the party still lacks a leader. GOP still needs to establish a winning strategy other than obstruction.
There is no way for the Dems to hold super majorities after 2010. Steele needs to develop a strategy for how the GOP will function as a minority with filibuster. Continued obstruction will not be a winning strategy

First let me say this I tend to agree that winning back a Majority is a bit of a stretch, but am pretty sure that the Democrats and the Republicans know that a super-majority won't last past this falls election. That said, Michael Steele, doesn't exactly glow confidence as the head of the RNC, then again his skills as the head of the RNC have not been all that outstandingt to begin with. If you were faced with a mid-term election that could possibly win back some of the Republicans seats and also restore some of the partys pride a little, don't you think from a financial standpoint you might be ready for that? Mr. Steele has seen to it that the RNC's budget is at such a low point that there are funding problems. This might explain why many had reservations on his election in the frist place. Frankly, I'm not surprised by a thing Michael Steele does when it comes to running the party. One of the things you would think though as the head of a major political party you would want to do is champion your party anyway you can, rather than lowering expectations, says a lot about motivation.

Steele is far from an inspirational leader. He also lacks the ability to forge backroom agreements. A year into his leadership and the party still lacks a leader. GOP still needs to establish a winning strategy other than obstruction.
There is no way for the Dems to hold super majorities after 2010. Steele needs to develop a strategy for how the GOP will function as a minority with filibuster. Continued obstruction will not be a winning strategy

Do you want to know who would have made a much better RNC director than Steele, J.C. Watts, or even Jeb Bush would have done a much better job of at least appearing like they want to win elections.

Excerpt:
GOP Chairman Michael Tom Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part since Reagan. And, he says Rethugs won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.
That forecast of failure sparked a pushback Tuesday at the GOP and delight the Democrats. Winning back the House would be difficult for Republicans, who are in a 256-178 minority with one vacancy. Steele's book, "Why I Hate Being Black," offers his blueprint for the party's resurgence. Asked Monday by handjob Hannity if Republicans can regain the House, Steele said, "Not this year." He added: "I don't know yet, because I don't know all the candidates yet. We still have some vacancies that need to get filled, but then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?" Steele said: "Our candidates have to be anchored in these principles ... because if they don't, they'll get to Washington, and they'll get drunk with power and throw the steps out the window."
Link

RNC Chairman, Michael Steele's middle name is "Stephen". And his book is titled: Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda."

I can only assume that Crpravens is correct and your reference to Michael "Tom" Steele is in fact calling him an "Uncle Tom".... which makes you a racist piece of shit who is unworthy of our time.

You'll only be the second person to make my Iggy List. It's a dubious honor... but out of all the idiocy and bullshit that goes on in here, all the know-nothing assholes who haven't bothered to educate themselves before making contact with their keyboard... you get the silver ribbon. I doubt that I, myself, would take pride in such a thing, but then again... I'm not a racist piece of shit who sets out to deliberately offend people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:eusa_hand:

For any readers out there who actually want to know what was said... here's the excerpt and link:

Excerpt:
HANNITY: Do you think you can take over the House? Do you think Republicans...

STEELE: Not this year. And Sean, I would say honestly.

HANNITY: You don't think so?

STEELE: Well, I don't know yet, because all the candidates we still have vacancies that need to get filled. But then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?

HANNITY: Are you?

STEELE: Are we...

HANNITY: Answer your own question. Are we — do you think they're ready?

STEELE: I don't know. And that's what I'm assessing and evaluating right now. Those candidates that are looking to run have to be — have to be anchored in these principles. They have to be — they have to understand...

HANNITY: I'm agreeing with what you're saying. I think...

STEELE: They have to understand these steps, because if they don't, then they'll get to Washington, and they'll start drinking that Potomac River water. And they'll get drunk with power and...

HANNITY: And Beckel will have to pick them up. I mean, it's...

STEELE: Exactly.

(more...)

Exclusive Look at Michael Steele's New Book - Hannity - FOXNews.com

IMHO, Steele is doing the right thing. He's acknowledging the failings that have alienated Republican voters, displaying an educated understanding of where the GOP has gone wrong, and has developed a plan to call candidates back to basic core principles.

I haven't read the book yet, so I'll withhold judgment on his specific ideas until I see them... but I have no problem with him putting Republican candidates on notice that we expect them to stand for certain principles and that they can't expect success until they do.

Excerpt:
GOP Chairman Michael Tom Steele thinks Republicans have "screwed up" for the most part since Reagan. And, he says Rethugs won't win back the House in fall elections and might not be ready to lead even if they do.
That forecast of failure sparked a pushback Tuesday at the GOP and delight the Democrats. Winning back the House would be difficult for Republicans, who are in a 256-178 minority with one vacancy. Steele's book, "Why I Hate Being Black," offers his blueprint for the party's resurgence. Asked Monday by handjob Hannity if Republicans can regain the House, Steele said, "Not this year." He added: "I don't know yet, because I don't know all the candidates yet. We still have some vacancies that need to get filled, but then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?" Steele said: "Our candidates have to be anchored in these principles ... because if they don't, they'll get to Washington, and they'll get drunk with power and throw the steps out the window."
Link

RNC Chairman, Michael Steele's middle name is "Stephen". And his book is titled: Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda."

I can only assume that Crpravens is correct and your reference to Michael "Tom" Steele is in fact calling him an "Uncle Tom".... which makes you a racist piece of shit who is unworthy of our time.

You'll only be the second person to make my Iggy List. It's a dubious honor... but out of all the idiocy and bullshit that goes on in here, all the know-nothing assholes who haven't bothered to educate themselves before making contact with their keyboard... you get the silver ribbon. I doubt that I, myself, would take pride in such a thing, but then again... I'm not a racist piece of shit who sets out to deliberately offend people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:eusa_hand:

For any readers out there who actually want to know what was said... here's the excerpt and link:

Excerpt:
HANNITY: Do you think you can take over the House? Do you think Republicans...

STEELE: Not this year. And Sean, I would say honestly.

HANNITY: You don't think so?

STEELE: Well, I don't know yet, because all the candidates we still have vacancies that need to get filled. But then the question we need to ask ourselves is, if we do that, are we ready?

HANNITY: Are you?

STEELE: Are we...

HANNITY: Answer your own question. Are we — do you think they're ready?

STEELE: I don't know. And that's what I'm assessing and evaluating right now. Those candidates that are looking to run have to be — have to be anchored in these principles. They have to be — they have to understand...

HANNITY: I'm agreeing with what you're saying. I think...

STEELE: They have to understand these steps, because if they don't, then they'll get to Washington, and they'll start drinking that Potomac River water. And they'll get drunk with power and...

HANNITY: And Beckel will have to pick them up. I mean, it's...

STEELE: Exactly.

(more...)

Exclusive Look at Michael Steele's New Book - Hannity - FOXNews.com

IMHO, Steele is doing the right thing. He's acknowledging the failings that have alienated Republican voters, displaying an educated understanding of where the GOP has gone wrong, and has developed a plan to call candidates back to basic core principles.

I haven't read the book yet, so I'll withhold judgment on his specific ideas until I see them... but I have no problem with him putting Republican candidates on notice that we expect them to stand for certain principles and that they can't expect success until they do.

Murf Do you want to know why I have an issue with Steele?

The RNC had $22.8 million in cash and no debt when Michael Steele was elected chairman at the end of January, but has since seen its cash on hand drop to less than $9 million at the end of November.

Over the previous five months, while governors’ battles were being waged in New Jersey and Virginia, the committee saw its cash reserves drop by a full $15 million. Through November, the committee spent more than $90 million last year, which is nearly $20 million more than the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

Worst RNC cash flow in a decade - TheHill.com

Part of the job as the head of the RNC is raising money for campaigns, and 2010 is an important election. Rather than promoting books, perhaps Mr. Steele should focus his efforts on raising funds for the coming elections. It's my opnion that the position calls for someone with a little more ability to do such things and Mr. Steele seems to be lacking in those areas.

Did any of you ever read Uncle Tom's Cabin?

I think Steele's observations are pretty much on the money....they will win seats, but they will not be the majority, not in 2010....and probably not in 2012 either, but by 2014 mid elections they could be imo, unless things change.

The RNC had $22.8 million in cash and no debt when Michael Steele was elected chairman at the end of January, but has since seen its cash on hand drop to less than $9 million at the end of November.

Over the previous five months, while governors’ battles were being waged in New Jersey and Virginia, the committee saw its cash reserves drop by a full $15 million. Through November, the committee spent more than $90 million last year, which is nearly $20 million more than the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

Part of the job as the head of the RNC is raising money for campaigns, and 2010 is an important election. Rather than promoting books, perhaps Mr. Steele should focus his efforts on raising funds for the coming elections. It's my opnion that the position calls for someone with a little more ability to do such things and Mr. Steele seems to be lacking in those areas.

Don't get me wrong, Navy. I don't have a problem with legitimate criticism of how Steele does his job. What I take issue with is racist attacks. The color of the guy's skin has no bearing whatsoever on his position at the RNC.

On the subject of fundraising though,let me ask you... are you, yourself, willing to send cash to the RNC right now? and if not, why not? :eusa_eh:

Personally, I won't send them one red cent until they pull their heads out of their asses. I might send a donation to a local candidate, but not the RNC, not until they correct their problems.

I think it's possible that these corrections have to be made before Steele can actually pull in the dough. If this party doesn't stand for something, can't acknowledge past mistakes, and won't demonstrate its dedication to taking a principled stance... why would anybodysend money?

Between the tea parties and the polling data, I think it's crystal clear that it's no longer good enough to have the 'R' behind one's name. We want MORE from our representatives. We want core principles to be used as a lens upon the issues of the day. Michael Steele would indeed be a fool if he couldn't see something so obvious.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I haven't read his book yet, so it seems unfair to me to judge him in ignorance. But... I can say this much, I really do like the fact that he's at least addressing the problem and not trying to sweep it up under the rug.

Did any of you ever read Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Are you suggesting that the OP meant to point out that Michael Steele is somehow sacrificing himself to keep his friends safe? :eusa_eh:

'Cause I'm thinking that's not why he used the term "tom".

Don't get me wrong, Navy. I don't have a problem with legitimate criticism of how Steele does his job. What I take issue with is racist attacks. The color of the guy's skin has no bearing whatsoever on his position at the RNC.

On the subject of fundraising though,let me ask you... are you, yourself, willing to send cash to the RNC right now? and if not, why not? :eusa_eh:

Personally, I won't send them one red cent until they pull their heads out of their asses. I might send a donation to a local candidate, but not the RNC, not until they correct their problems.

I think it's possible that these corrections have to be made before Steele can actually pull in the dough. If this party doesn't stand for something, can't acknowledge past mistakes, and won't demonstrate its dedication to taking a principled stance... why would anybodysend money?

Between the tea parties and the polling data, I think it's crystal clear that it's no longer good enough to have the 'R' behind one's name. We want MORE from our representatives. We want core principles to be used as a lens upon the issues of the day. Michael Steele would indeed be a fool if he couldn't see something so obvious.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I haven't read his book yet, so it seems unfair to me to judge him in ignorance. But... I can say this much, I really do like the fact that he's at least addressing the problem and not trying to sweep it up under the rug.

First, judging the man on a personal level is nonsense and my judgement is based on his abilites to actually run the RNC. I have donated to the RNC in the past, and will most likely do so again. That being said, I have also come to the conclusion that campaign money is better spent sending it directly to the candidates themselves because the RNC seems to be more interested other issues rather than actually building a national party. It's been my opinion for many years that a political party should be formed around basic principles and those principles should be reflected in the candidates they support, and having said that, the party should recognize that while many may not agree on matters of policy, they can agree on the principles. Where in my opinion the RNC seems to have lost it's direction is that it tends to focus on disagreements on policy matters between factions in the party rather than agreeing on matters principle and finding common solutions to meet the needs of the nation. While I am sure Mr. Steele means well in terms of what direction he wishes to direct the RNC , at least in my opnion he lacks the kind of leadership needed to bring all those parts of the party together.

First, judging the man on a personal level is nonsense and my judgement is based on his abilites to actually run the RNC. I have donated to the RNC in the past, and will most likely do so again. That being said, I have also come to the conclusion that campaign money is better spent sending it directly to the candidates themselves because the RNC seems to be more interested other issues rather than actually building a national party. It's been my opinion for many years that a political party should be formed around basic principles and those principles should be reflected in the candidates they support, and having said that, the party should recognize that while many may not agree on matters of policy, they can agree on the principles. Where in my opinion the RNC seems to have lost it's direction is that it tends to focus on disagreements on policy matters between factions in the party rather than agreeing on matters principle and finding common solutions to meet the needs of the nation. While I am sure Mr. Steele means well in terms of what direction he wishes to direct the RNC , at least in my opnion he lacks the kind of leadership needed to bring all those parts of the party together.

We're agreed then... on everything but the last. I like the idea of Steele stepping up to the plate, acknowledging the problems, and talking about principles.

That said, I'm reserving final judgment until I see the specifics.

I think the GOP is wrong if they go in with a strategy that they are going to hit a home run and sweep both houses in 2010. Steele seems to be correct in setting realistic goals for his party. It doesn't mean that you can't exceed your goals, but it prevents you from having to consider not winning both houses to be a failure

Jayboy Canuckstain said:
Jayboy Canuckstain said:
it was joke murf...just like Rush likes to joke.

Except you whine and complain about Rush's jokes...

care to back that up with a whine I posted cheese master?

That's a collective "you"... as in "you leftist hack asmunchers"....

If I cared more about you personally I'd go looking for your comments, but since there's not much here you've posted that isn't just ripped from a leftist hack site, why bother??...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back