CDZ To Quarantine or Not to Quarantine?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
The logical answer is to quarantine those who are at greatest health risk from Covid-19, and simply require others to wear masks and gloves when at work or in crowded public places. (The purpose of the masks and gloves is to protect others.) I predict that this will soon become standard policy once the hysteria subsides.

Yes. Wearing gloves was becoming more and more common anyway, as was people wearing masks, before this broke out. I was out this Sunday, and while traffic wasn't as thick as usual it was still pretty busy, and many stores were posting their phone numbers out front and you could call in and order what you wanted and they would bring it out to you, so they were at least trying to keep some of their people busy. I do miss browsing around in my regular stores, though, especially for music and books, and I don't much like eating in my car instead of sitting inside. Those are my minor snivels, and I'm not getting ulcers or anything over it.

The logical answer is to quarantine those who are at greatest health risk from Covid-19, and simply require others to wear masks and gloves when at work or in crowded public places. (The purpose of the masks and gloves is to protect others.) I predict that this will soon become standard policy once the hysteria subsides.
Mandating that people wear gloves and face masks is a hysterical reaction.,

But mandating that everyone stay home is not?

Didn't say that....I'm on record as saying that this is the greatest media generated mass hysteria since War of the Worlds....Magnitudes bigger, in fact.

Didn't say that....I'm on record as saying that this is the greatest media generated mass hysteria since War of the Worlds....Magnitudes bigger, in fact.

I'm sure the number of cases is actually much larger, but most had mild cases and were never reported and tested, which makes the numbers being thrown around look much worse than the reality.

so I see the GOP propaganda machine is even misinforming and being incredibly destructive even in this pandemic...

So what is your suggestion?

Answer:

Protect the Elderly and Sick and the rest get the virus and let the herd mentality take place...

How does wearing gloves help?

I suppose gloves could be taken off and replaced frequently using proper SOP for removal.

But if the gloves are worn for long periods of time, then I doubt they would help prevent C-19. Touching the face wearing contaminated gloves is no better than touching the face with contaminated hand skin.

I'm sure the number of cases is actually much larger, but most had mild cases and were never reported and tested, which makes the numbers being thrown around look much worse than the reality.

True, but another factor makes it much worse (besides the fact that no human was previously exposed so have no antibodies for this virus).

[survivors would have antibodies btw - this was known in 1918]

The Spanish Influenza killed c. 20 million people in 4 months and spread throughout the planet (St. Helena island was spared) - that is about a 1.5% death rate which may be the death rate for Corona.

The Bible taught quarantine without explaining why - e.g. touching a dead body made one "unclean" for days. Quarantine of those infected would clearly be an answer.

The problem is knowing who has this virus - allot harder than telling who had leprosy! A carrier person can be infected for up to 2 weeks before showing symptoms - others may never show symptoms - remember typhoid Mary!

There are a number of factors skewing the statistics - 2 are:

1. The death rate is based on confirmed cases of Covid-19. Those actually infected by Corona virus would be much higher - which lowers the death rate.

2. Those infected can take 2 weeks before symptoms and another 2 weeks before life threatening symptoms like pneumonia develop. This will raise the death rate.

Remember that the 1918 Spanish Influenza pandemic took 4 months to kill 1.5% of humans on earth, not 4 weeks.

The good news (sarcastically) is that modern science now has drugs to kill this virus! We have come a long way since 1918!

Last edited:
he good news (sarcastically) is that modern science now has drugs to kill this virus!

Actually, we don't. While viruses respond differently to generic anti-viral drugs, a virus specific immunization is required to prevent infection. Each time a new virus hits the population, a new vaccine must be created.

On the plus side, most viruses, once contracted, are self-limiting in they don't tend to stay long in the body past once the initial symptoms present. You either get better from it or your die from it.

Other viruses, such as HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes, etc stay in the body and require anti-viral treatment.

he good news (sarcastically) is that modern science now has drugs to kill this virus!

Actually, we don't. While viruses respond differently to generic anti-viral drugs, a virus specific immunization is required to prevent infection. Each time a new virus hits the population, a new vaccine must be created.

On the plus side, most viruses, once contracted, are self-limiting in they don't tend to stay long in the body past once the initial symptoms present. You either get better from it or your die from it.

Other viruses, such as HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes, etc stay in the body and require anti-viral treatment.

This virus is related to earlier viruses, though, so some people will already have some resistance built up. Others won't, of course.

I suppose gloves could be taken off and replaced frequently using proper SOP for removal.

But if the gloves are worn for long periods of time, then I doubt they would help prevent C-19. Touching the face wearing contaminated gloves is no better than touching the face with contaminated hand skin.

Those latex ones are a pain, they don't fit my hands well and tear before I can get them all the way on. Others you wash and re-use, which I guess will work better and easier to get some brands in bigger sizes, and probably easier on your skin than constant washing your bare hands with anti-bacterial stuff.

This virus is related to earlier viruses, though, so some people will already have some resistance built up. Others won't, of course.

Similarity doesn't do it. Even pts who previously contracted SARS are not immune to COVID-19, and the two viruses are quite similar.

This is the reason that you can catch a rhinovirus or seasonal influenza every year (if you're lucky) the antibodies developed from one virus aren't effective against the next.

Those latex ones are a pain, they don't fit my hands well and tear before I can get them all the way on. Others you wash and re-use, which I guess will work better and easier to get some brands in bigger sizes, and probably easier on your skin than constant washing your bare hands with anti-bacterial stuff.

No one uses latex gloves anymore. Modern gloves are nitrile (and are hypoallergenic).

Using gloves doesn't replace handwashing. Even a person trained in properly removing contaminated gloves will hand wash after each glove replacement.

No one uses latex gloves anymore. Modern gloves are nitrile (and are hypoallergenic).

Whatever; they all suck and tear easily, so I just use the regular kitchen types and wash them when I'm done.

Similarity doesn't do it. Even pts who previously contracted SARS are not immune to COVID-19, and the two viruses are quite similar.

This is the reason that you can catch a rhinovirus or seasonal influenza every year (if you're lucky) the antibodies developed from one virus aren't effective against the next.

The common denominator is those hit the worst are those with respiratory problems, which can also vary in seriousness from very mild to severe. No data on what does what yet, but having been partially exposed previously is bound to help a little. Depending on wha the problem is, some mught not even know they have a serious problem until its too late.

Whatever; they all suck and tear easily, so I just use the regular kitchen types and wash them when I'm done.

Get better gloves.

Forum List

Back