Time to hold police accountable

Resisting arrest isn't a license to kill.
I agree....BUT resisting arrest is almost always the catalyst to police brutality and sometimes death.
My advice is; don't resist and obey commands....STAY ALIVE
AGREE.png
Couldn't agree more, BL! IMO, cops these days are inexperienced, afraid, nervous, and prone to overreact. Give them half a reason and they just might do anything and then say they were justified because they felt threatened or whatever. I've never been arrested, I don't give them a reason, in fact, I've talked my way out of tickets where I was BLATANTLY breaking the law. I'm generally on the cop's side, I consider them a friend, and I wouldn't resist arrest if I was being arrested.

But I'm also a crazy SOB. I have high principles of moral conduct. Go too far, and I might stop you even if you are a cop. Watching that video actually bothered me, and most of the time, I generally rationalize as most do that you obey the officer and DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. But this was one situation where I think I might have been forced to act, the guy was no longer a threat, and believe me, cop or not, you don't want me coming at you. Even if you shoot me, unless in the head, I'm likely still going to keep coming and get you before I bleed to death.

I'm a sneaky bastard: I might have come around the car from the other side and convinced the officer I was a paramedic responding to the call and taking over. I might have slipped a zip tie over his neck before he knew it and choked him. Then I would have been behind the other cop's back and gotten him too. I have a little salt trick Unkatore likes where I might just blind you with salt and leave you helpless for 20 minutes. The funny thing is that I don't particularly LIKE blacks and gays. Don't necessarily have anything AGAINST one either, but rich man or poor, robber or priest, I just won't just stand there and watch as a person is choked to death with callous disregard. I gonna do something. They can only kill me once.

I bet if we hear the autopsy on this guy, he had cervical damage.

If it was a black policeman with his knee on a white guys neck causing him to sufocate and die. The words "hate crime" would never be mentioned by the media.
You might be right. But then, show me a white guy getting choked to death like that? What does your hypothetical to do with THIS guy being choked to death. Should not have happened.
I have not given you a like in a while wee both know why but right is right. I agree with you on this one.
This isn't about politics, its about law and human rights. I've had this argument before, but I'll say it again, the police have many options at their disposal to get control of someone. They are trained and armed to the teeth. Their job is to deal with the situation, diffuse it if possible, restore the peace, arrest if they must, then let the court decide the punishment, if any, not see it met out right there in the street. Especially when there was no lethal threat being offered.

Being progressive or conservative shouldn't blind anyone to basic common sense, law, and human decency. I'm tired of hearing all cops are bad or that if you put up a fight, that anything goes. Most cops are good people, but neither does anything go. I'm a big guy, about 300 pounds, I'm licensed to carry a .45, and I know some martial arts. I would have rather put my gun to that cop's head and ordered him to get off that guy's neck or get his brains blown out and citizen-arrested him and faced the consequences later, than to have walked away or stood there and have to live the rest of my life knowing I watched another person being murdered and did nothing.
With three other cops around, you would put a gun to a cops head?! That would be suicide by cop and you would be even stupider than most thugs.
Yeah, maybe. I wasn't there. You have to go with the situation. I'm not a violent person at all, just a willful one, and dangerous if given the reason. I think of others before myself. If I have a gun to your buddy's head, are you really going to risk his life trying to pull a gun to try to shoot me? No, you are going to stop and try to talk me down. ITMT, I've stopped the choking. God pray it never comes to that. If it comes to shooting, I'm going to die, but so are 2-3 police as well, so what will have been served by not simply acquiescing to my simple demand to LET THE FUCKING GUY ON THE GROUND LIVE and get him a damned ambulance? How many times are we going to have this same conversation on police brutality? How long did it take Starbucks to retrain their employees NOT to throw people out of their stores for loitering?

The greater question is that with FIVE police around, how is it that this man died and no one knew he was choked and no longer breathing? That's a question I am sick of asking.

It’s time for the American people to hold police accountable for their actions. All four cops need to be charged with murder. This cop had his knee on a mans neck and choked him to death for no reason. The cop had his hands in his pockets the whole time. George Floyd repeatedly said that he couldn’t breathe, at one point even calling out to his mother for help. The only way this will stop is if we all stand together and demand more from our law enforcement officers. Too many people are being killed over petty crimes. The man was charged with forgery. He did not deserve to die.

I am troubled but withholding judgment. Floyd seemed to be cooperating with police before but I haven't seen video to show what happened between the time the one officer had him cuffed and sitting against a wall and the time he was chest down by the vehicle with the knee on his neck.

Here you go, this will show you more. Let me know what you think after watching this

Thanks but I cannot locate video showing what happened between the time he was in cuffs against the wall and the time he was face down beside the vehicle. I am not excusing them having their knee on his neck for an extended period of time. I am just curious as to why they felt a need to have a knee on him to begin with given his prior lack of much resistance if anything. Your link video is for what happened before he ended up being seated against the wall as was shown in the different CC video.

If it was a black policeman with his knee on a white guys neck causing him to sufocate and die. The words "hate crime" would never be mentioned by the media.
You might be right. But then, show me a white guy getting choked to death like that? What does your hypothetical to do with THIS guy being choked to death. Should not have happened.
I have not given you a like in a while wee both know why but right is right. I agree with you on this one.
This isn't about politics, its about law and human rights. I've had this argument before, but I'll say it again, the police have many options at their disposal to get control of someone. They are trained and armed to the teeth. Their job is to deal with the situation, diffuse it if possible, restore the peace, arrest if they must, then let the court decide the punishment, if any, not see it met out right there in the street. Especially when there was no lethal threat being offered.

Being progressive or conservative shouldn't blind anyone to basic common sense, law, and human decency. I'm tired of hearing all cops are bad or that if you put up a fight, that anything goes. Most cops are good people, but neither does anything go. I'm a big guy, about 300 pounds, I'm licensed to carry a .45, and I know some martial arts. I would have rather put my gun to that cop's head and ordered him to get off that guy's neck or get his brains blown out and citizen-arrested him and faced the consequences later, than to have walked away or stood there and have to live the rest of my life knowing I watched another person being murdered and did nothing.
With three other cops around, you would put a gun to a cops head?! That would be suicide by cop and you would be even stupider than most thugs.
Yeah, maybe. I wasn't there. You have to go with the situation. I'm not a violent person at all, just a willful one, and dangerous if given the reason. I think of others before myself. If I have a gun to your buddy's head, are you really going to risk his life trying to pull a gun to try to shoot me? No, you are going to stop and try to talk me down. ITMT, I've stopped the choking. God pray it never comes to that. If it comes to shooting, I'm going to die, but so are 2-3 police as well, so what will have been served by not simply acquiescing to my simple demand to LET THE FUCKING GUY ON THE GROUND LIVE and get him a damned ambulance? How many times are we going to have this same conversation on police brutality? How long did it take Starbucks to retrain their employees NOT to throw people out of their stores for loitering?

The greater question is that with FIVE police around, how is it that this man died and no one knew he was choked and no longer breathing? That's a question I am sick of asking.
You and the even guy would be dead instantly. Cops are well trained in self-preservation with little "respect" for thugs or the self-righteous.

Anyway, hold your horse and don't go shooting cops until you know exactly what happened.

They did know and were either afraid or uncaring.We get very few chances in life to show what we are made of, the cops standing around failed in one of thier rare chances. I will not if given the chance. We either rise in a situation like this or we do little things all the time like making those around us feel safe,wanted and secure. The safe wanted and secure we can offer our fellow humans around us every day as a way to make the world better. I have not been given great charisma,power,money, or a large platform in which to effect change, what I have been given is the ability to give those around me some thing they can count on and hope they mirror my actions. Hopefully good and caring behavior is infectous. We show five people caring and kindness maybe they each show five more and we have geometric growth. Mabye we get enough people acting this way over time, we start to hit the bad apples and they change to. I woulod like to focus less on our differences and more on our commonalities, maybe this way we have a better way moving forward to effect change.

careefull tube I might start to like you!
Oh, you already know you LOVE me! Being conservative doesn't automatically make you an idiot or an asshole. I'm not a crazy or violent person. The key to winning any fight was taught us 2500 years ago by Sun Tzu. The soul is the warrior. When the cause is just, one need not fear treading where the tiger walks, for the tiger does not prey upon itself.

When you put up no target to strike, the arrow can find no place to land.

Oh, you already know you LOVE me! Being conservative doesn't automatically make you an idiot or an asshole. I'm not a crazy or violent person. The key to winning any fight was taught us 2500 years ago by Sun Tzu. The soul is the warrior. When the cause is just, one need not fear treading where the tiger walks, for the tiger does not prey upon itself.

I admit I have a certain amount of love for all my fellow men. My love for you is growing.

Look, TOTAL STRAWMAN ARGUMENT. Has NOTHING to do with a man being choked to death on the street who was offering no resistance.
How do you establish him "offering no resistance" ? I heard a report that said that he WAS resisting arrest.
I didn't see him offering any resistance during the entire 5 minutes of that video. Just pleading he could not breathe. Once you stop resisting, even if forced to, the job is done. Time to put the cuffs on and throw him in the backseat.

I admit I have a certain amount of love for all my fellow men. My love for you is growing.
You can't read a book by looking at the cover.

It’s time for the American people to hold police accountable for their actions. All four cops need to be charged with murder. This cop had his knee on a mans neck and choked him to death for no reason. The cop had his hands in his pockets the whole time. George Floyd repeatedly said that he couldn’t breathe, at one point even calling out to his mother for help. The only way this will stop is if we all stand together and demand more from our law enforcement officers. Too many people are being killed over petty crimes. The man was charged with forgery. He did not deserve to die.
If a man can speak to say "I can't breathe", he can breathe. Breathing is necessary for speaking.
Wrong. You can not get enough oxygen to sustain life, as his murder clearly proves.

With three other cops around, you would put a gun to a cops head?! That would be suicide by cop
Doing the right thing is not always the safe thing. Many of history's greatest people were mocked, scorned, villified even killed for knowing, saying and doing the RIGHT THING, simply because it WAS right, even if not POPULAR.

The right thing is seldom popular anyway.

Just ask:
  1. Galileo
  2. Alfred Wallace
  3. Alfred Einstein
  4. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  5. Peter Higgs
  6. Aristarchus

You and the even guy would be dead instantly. Cops are well trained in self-preservation with little "respect" for thugs or the self-righteous.

Anyway, hold your horse and don't go shooting cops until you know exactly what happened.
There are worse fates than death, this you can believe. It is the end result of every path. Have you ever had PTSD? Watching some one die over and over in my head knowing I had done nothing would be a fate worse than death. I would never be able to look in a mirror again.

This is essentially a racial issue: a hate crime. These police need to be held accountable, no doubt. They need to be tried for murder.

Where is your evidence race played a role?
This was not a violent criminal issue. They were there to question this man about a fraud. Do you really believe that if he had been white, they would have been so violent with him? I don't. The history of how black men are treated by the police belies the contention that it isn't a racially motivated incident.

We have been holding police accountable for a long time. The list of officers that were either fired, or jailed for manslaughter, is pretty consistent.

In this, yeah, that guy needs fired, and even jailed.

There hasn't been a time where officers were not held accountable.

We have been holding police accountable for a long time. The list of officers that were either fired, or jailed for manslaughter, is pretty consistent.

In this, yeah, that guy needs fired, and even jailed.

There hasn't been a time where officers were not held accountable.
Nonsense. Every single one where they weren't put before a jury to decide their guilt or innocence, were not held accountable to the proper authorities.

Forum List

Back