Thread ban for arguing the thread topic when the OP is a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwork201

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2021
Senior mods and staff, how do you let this happen? Thread after thread here, sometimes dozens and dozens of pages worth, of people going back and forth and nothing is done but when it's a moderator, they get to just kick you off the thread.

In the past, there have been suggestions for the site to allow thread starters to kick people off of threads. Rightfully, those suggestions were discussed and rejected - if a person doesn't want to debate a topic then don't start one. And yet, if you're a moderator, you get to kick people off of the thread you start and just pretend they were trolling you, in fact, the message is: trolling the op/mod, demonstrating that either one moderator, or if this was done with agreement from the mod team, all moderators, are getting special protection.

And I was not trolling the moderator or the OP; every single post was on topic and well reasoned and well stated. The moderator insisted on the last word in the topic, not as a moderator but in the thread topic, and used his moderator powers to enforce it.

Certainly this won't be allowed to stand, right? Everyone will know who this moderator and the thread are and will know that this action was not justified by the content of my posts.

Report posts that break any rule! Mods do not read every post on this forum. We mostly rely on forum members to report those that don't follow our rules.

If a mod deleted one of your posts or sends a warning to you that you think shouldn't have happened, DM a few of us and tell us the details. It WILL be looked into.

Report posts that break any rule! Mods do not read every post on this forum. We mostly rely on forum members to report those that don't follow our rules.

If a mod deleted one of your posts or sends a warning to you that you think shouldn't have happened, DM a few of us and tell us the details. It WILL be looked into.
That might be part of the problem. Not every post that is reported deserves to be deleted. A mod who deletes a post should first at least read enough to understand what is happening in the tread.

That might be part of the problem. Not every post that is reported deserves to be deleted. A mod who deletes a post should first at least read enough to understand what is happening in the tread.

Yup, I have been reporting a lot lately as too many here simply don't keep up with the posting rules however the rules post is in bad need of compacting as it is currently spread over 4 LONG postings which I NEVER see done anywhere else.

A forum with that long a rules list is a forum that doesn't follow them well as there are too many factors to keep track of.

Senior mods and staff, how do you let this happen? Thread after thread here, sometimes dozens and dozens of pages worth, of people going back and forth and nothing is done but when it's a moderator, they get to just kick you off the thread.

In the past, there have been suggestions for the site to allow thread starters to kick people off of threads. Rightfully, those suggestions were discussed and rejected - if a person doesn't want to debate a topic then don't start one. And yet, if you're a moderator, you get to kick people off of the thread you start and just pretend they were trolling you, in fact, the message is: trolling the op/mod, demonstrating that either one moderator, or if this was done with agreement from the mod team, all moderators, are getting special protection.

And I was not trolling the moderator or the OP; every single post was on topic and well reasoned and well stated. The moderator insisted on the last word in the topic, not as a moderator but in the thread topic, and used his moderator powers to enforce it.

Certainly this won't be allowed to stand, right? Everyone will know who this moderator and the thread are and will know that this action was not justified by the content of my posts.
:boo_hoo14:

I dunno what thread you're talking about, or what maude, not even interested, but I will say that a tendency to compartmentalize is difficult to overcome. It's an obstacle.

But that's a very deep discussion. It's an intellectual discussion, not fit for emotional beings.

If everyone were an INTJ we wouldn't have these kinds of problems. Heh heh.

Maybe the one about the two bulls is a good analogy on how to overcome.

Last edited:

Half the 'posters' here are mod sock trolls. Just make fun of their bad haircuts and move on.

People aren't always interested in "debate." They just want to piss on your thread until it gets closed or moved to the basement
If you think someone isn't interested in debate then don't respond to them. If they keep after you without you responding, that is trolling. I was banned from the thread for responding on topic to the mod's member posts in the thread.

Responding on topic once, even twice, to a single post can never be trolling; it's responding. Beyond that, a different mod might review and make a call but I'm pretty sure it was the mod who started the thread who threadbanned me banned me from his own thread - definite conflict of interest. In fact, he responded on topic to my on-topic post, making sure he got the last word, and then banned me from the thread.

If I had broken rules in my posts, he didn't make any such claim other than to claim I was stalking him by responding post-for-post with his own responses.

If the mod wants to post without debate then he should start a blog. If responding on topic to the OP is stalking then all threads will be one post long because no one can ever respond - at least to one certain new mod.

Here's my strategy for this board: I rarely engage a mod in debate on a thread they OP. If one makes a comment on my thread, I respond once and then I let them have the last word (between us), tacitly agreeing to disagree. I then respond to other posters on the thread, and I've never had a moderator on this forum pursue getting me to answer their posts.

I see complaints about moderation on this board and I wonder whether the complainer has ever been on another forum. The mods here are awesome compared to other partisan hack "safe zone" forums that I've had the displeasure to be on. They would basically stalk me on my threads, with insulting personal attacks, while at the same time PM'ing me that I was "on the thinnest of ice," or some such.

Do I sound like I'm sucking up? I don't think I would need to. The mods are not perfect just like no one is perfect, but I don't think they would run me off because I disagreed with them.

And of course we dont just delete or move or even merge everything a reporter suggests. And we do go to the thread and get a sense of what's goin on.

Which BTW -- has been made TREMENDOUSLY MORE difficult since we had to accept this retarded Twitter-like feature of Xenforo where we USED to cascading quotes and NOW -- just the last quote.

Makes it hard to get a picture of where problems in thread are without bouncing between quote-backs and having a 1/2 dozen tabs open to different sub-discussions.

There -- I can vent also. I feel much better now..

And of course we dont just delete or move or even merge everything a reporter suggests. And we do go to the thread and get a sense of what's goin on.

Which BTW -- has been made TREMENDOUSLY MORE difficult since we had to accept this retarded Twitter-like feature of Xenforo where we USED to cascading quotes and NOW -- just the last quote.

Makes it hard to get a picture of where problems in thread are without bouncing between quote-backs and having a 1/2 dozen tabs open to different sub-discussions.

There -- I can vent also. I feel much better now..

Doesn't the software have SOFT DELETE?

People aren't always interested in "debate." They just want to piss on your thread until it gets closed or moved to the basement

Main goal of moderation is to KEEP threads open and compliant with the rules. "They" cannot willfully IGNORE a topic or get "all personal" or intentionally derail the topic. What they CAN DO -- is be dishonest, contribute minimal effort to the discussion and be a-holes with their allotment of flaming.

Any ideas on how to make (presumptive) adults more honest and contribute more effort and focus MORE on the topic than the flaming that we DO allow in most forums? Love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back