Thread ban for arguing the thread topic when the OP is a mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Senior mods and staff, how do you let this happen? And yet, if you're a moderator, you get to kick people off of the thread you start and just pretend they were trolling you

Again, probably a better place for this should have been PM, but technically, I guess this is more "feedback," but you DO make a pretty good case that when a moderator starts an ordinary thread as the OP, then it isn't a true moderator action and in this case, the mod is acting as just "one of the guys,"--- and as such, rightly should NOT be moderating his (or her) own thread! That is double indemnity. That is a good argument that when a person starts a thread of regular discussion that they should rescind their moderator powers as far as that thread goes, and any rules broken or moderator action required should come from someone else!

Senior mods and staff, how do you let this happen? Thread after thread here, sometimes dozens and dozens of pages worth, of people going back and forth and nothing is done but when it's a moderator, they get to just kick you off the thread.

In the past, there have been suggestions for the site to allow thread starters to kick people off of threads. Rightfully, those suggestions were discussed and rejected - if a person doesn't want to debate a topic then don't start one. And yet, if you're a moderator, you get to kick people off of the thread you start and just pretend they were trolling you, in fact, the message is: trolling the op/mod, demonstrating that either one moderator, or if this was done with agreement from the mod team, all moderators, are getting special protection.

And I was not trolling the moderator or the OP; every single post was on topic and well reasoned and well stated. The moderator insisted on the last word in the topic, not as a moderator but in the thread topic, and used his moderator powers to enforce it.

Certainly this won't be allowed to stand, right? Everyone will know who this moderator and the thread are and will know that this action was not justified by the content of my posts.
Just stick to the rules and you won't get groped covertly off the mods. Certainly don't cry in public about it either, unless you're Left Wing of course.

Just stick to the rules and you won't get groped covertly off the mods. Certainly don't cry in public about it either, unless you're Left Wing of course.
I think the person you quotes agrees with you . He wants a thread of his cleaned up with the many pages of back and forth, unproductive bickering. He ain't wrong. Happens all the time. The question is, DID HE BRING IT TOVTHE ATTENTION OF A MOD QND WAS ANYTHING DONE? It does seen enforcement can be selective.

And of course we dont just delete or move or even merge everything a reporter suggests. And we do go to the thread and get a sense of what's goin on.

Which BTW -- has been made TREMENDOUSLY MORE difficult since we had to accept this retarded Twitter-like feature of Xenforo where we USED to cascading quotes and NOW -- just the last quote.

Makes it hard to get a picture of where problems in thread are without bouncing between quote-backs and having a 1/2 dozen tabs open to different sub-discussions.

There -- I can vent also. I feel much better now..
retarded is not a nice word. It should not be used by a mod or a poster.

Which BTW -- has been made TREMENDOUSLY MORE difficult since we had to accept this retarded Twitter-like feature of Xenforo where we USED to cascading quotes and NOW -- just the last quote
Did you prefer the long quote string?

Personally, I never really had a problem with it. I did what I did just now -- I quoted, and replied to the portion I wanted to respond to. Not sure why so many thought that was so hard

I know a mod like that she is thin skinned and resorts to claiming any post that doesnt agree with her as trolling.
Coyote_011810043077b214de0c281d679e39fd.jpg

Main goal of moderation is to KEEP threads open and compliant with the rules. "They" cannot willfully IGNORE a topic or get "all personal" or intentionally derail the topic. What they CAN DO -- is be dishonest, contribute minimal effort to the discussion and be a-holes with their allotment of flaming.

Any ideas on how to make (presumptive) adults more honest and contribute more effort and focus MORE on the topic than the flaming that we DO allow in most forums? Love to hear it.
"Public hangings" might work as a deterrent. Kinda like a "Red badge" attached to their profile letting the "public" know that poster has been punished for not adhering to the forum rules. Keep it attached for a set number of days.

Again, probably a better place for this should have been PM, but technically, I guess this is more "feedback," but you DO make a pretty good case that when a moderator starts an ordinary thread as the OP, then it isn't a true moderator action and in this case, the mod is acting as just "one of the guys,"--- and as such, rightly should NOT be moderating his (or her) own thread! That is double indemnity. That is a good argument that when a person starts a thread of regular discussion that they should rescind their moderator powers as far as that thread goes, and any rules broken or moderator action required should come from someone else!
You were right as was eyecantseeyou saying the same thing. Issue was resolved in PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back