Those of you with teenaged boys.....How do you afford to feed them?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
When I was a teen I ate like a horse, granted it was a lot of game/fish we killed/caught but nothing was safe when I sat down at the table.....Except Brussels sprouts and turnips. ;)

It must cost a damn fortune to feed a teen male from a store.

Large pots of beans and rice and biscuits or a big pot of spaghetti with meat sauce. A loaf of cheap sliced bread buttered toasted in the oven. That's how my mom did it :thup: :cool::stir:

When I was a teen I ate like a horse, granted it was a lot of game/fish we killed/caught but nothing was safe when I sat down at the table.....Except Brussels sprouts and turnips. ;)

Potatoes, beans, chicken, rice, spaghetti, and milk are relatively cheap. If they buy junk food, they're on their own.

It's a shame to say, but these days, fast food is actually cheaper than preparing meals from the grocery store.

Many, if not most, American teenagers subsist largely on a diet of junk food.

1659312443010.png

~S~

My mother wanted to see if I had 2 stomachs........Ahhhh the days when you could eat a spicy 8 cut pizza at 11pm, go to bed, wake up and do it over again

My 1st wife was a genius at stretching food. She would make chicken soup and add more chicken broth and noodles. It fed the hoard.

Many times adding some extra noodles (Ramen) to a dish stretched it.

My mother wanted to see if I had 2 stomachs........Ahhhh the days when you could eat a spicy 8 cut pizza at 11pm, go to bed, wake up and do it over again
The only place that had real carry-out pizza in my AO when I was a kid was a beer joint called the Knotty Pine.....There was a whore house above it. The closest real pizza place was 20-odd miles away. "The Pine" as it is called is still around....No whore house above it anymore that I'm aware of.

We finally got a Pizza Hut when I was in HS.....It's where I met my wife in fact.

Mom would fix these on occasion and doctor them up some.....I enjoyed it.

R.cf42000300678be7dba870c606671f4d

Aldi, Lidl, and industrial sized containers of junk from sam's club and lots and lots of popcorn. We probably go through 20 microwave popcorn bags a week, 3 or 4 boxes of cereal. Lots of fruity yogurt too surprisingly enough. The biggest budget busters are sodas. Coke might as well just back their truck up to the side door and park it it feels like.

The only place that had real carry-out pizza in my AO when I was a kid was a beer joint called the Knotty Pine.....There was a whore house above it. The closest real pizza place was 20-odd miles away. "The Pine" as it is called is still around....No whore house above it anymore that I'm aware of.

We finally got a Pizza Hut when I was in HS.....It's where I met my wife in fact.

Mom would fix these on occasion and doctor them up some.....I enjoyed it.

R.cf42000300678be7dba870c606671f4d

Those were a great treat!! I can still smell the parmasan-like stuff they gave you to spinkle on the pizza. Mom would cut up hotdogs on ours. I didn't know we were poor.

Aldi, Lidl, and industrial sized containers of junk from sam's club and lots and lots of popcorn. We probably go through 20 microwave popcorn bags a week, 3 or 4 boxes of cereal. Lots of fruity yogurt too surprisingly enough. The biggest budget busters are sodas. Coke might as well just back their truck up to the side door and park it it feels like.

Even when my boys were teenagers, we didn't buy soda. They could do that with their own money. We had juice, koolaid, water and milk. We started mixing a half gallon of powdered milk with a half gallon of whole milk to make the gallon of milk they would drink in a day.

Large pots of beans and rice and biscuits or a big pot of spaghetti with meat sauce. A loaf of cheap sliced bread buttered toasted in the oven. That's how my mom did it :thup: :cool::stir:
I lived on multiple peanut butter sandwiches per day. Luckily, I loved them.

My boys were fed lots of spaghetti with saucy meat sauce, cornbread, creamed chicken, and home-made cake by their eye-talian mom and they started working as soon as they could get a job.

I lived on multiple peanut butter sandwiches per day. Luckily, I loved them.

My boys were fed lots of spaghetti with saucy meat sauce, cornbread, creamed chicken, and home-made cake by their eye-talian mom and they started working as soon as they could get a job.
Nice to meet others who grew up like me. I had a southern country mother.

Forum List

Back