This Is My Body

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
So, just so I get this correctly as I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't mean for us to turn into cannibals,.. what He meant by having us "eat" His body and "drink" His blood is for us to have His spirit inside of us right? Or is there more to it than that?

Is transubstantiation supposed to be literal, as in cannibalistic? Or was it perhaps intended to be (and understood to be) metaphorical? Hm.
Hard core religious nuts say it literally becomes the body and blood, so yes, it's cannibalistic.

The mind feeds on words as sustenance whether spoken or read. To quench the Spirit within those Words bring in spiritually uplifting things for the mind.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

So, just so I get this correctly as I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't mean for us to turn into cannibals,.. what He meant by having us "eat" His body and "drink" His blood is for us to have His spirit inside of us right? Or is there more to it than that?
Jesus tells us he nourishes us with his body and blood. Think of it this way: It takes a woman's body and blood to provide nourishment (in the form of milk) to her infant. This does not make the infant a cannibal. In the same way, Jesus offers us nourishment through his body and blood.

Like all modern religious rites this one was just recycled from the blood ceremonies of older religions and then adapted and incorporated into Christianity.

the metaphorical relevance is what was altered in the 4th century, christianity - to servitude than the liberation theology, self determination the itinerant was telling them they were willing to die for.

Jesus tells us he nourishes us with his body and blood. Think of it this way: It takes a woman's body and blood to provide nourishment (in the form of milk) to her infant. This does not make the infant a cannibal. In the same way, Jesus offers us nourishment through his body and blood.

i-like-it-simple-easy-to-remember.jpg

Oh, I thought you were going to show us your body.

LOL trust me, you don't want to see it. XD

Priests ate of the Bread of Presence, or showbread (1 Chronicles 9:32), to commune with God. But then Christ himself was the way to God; he was the Bread of Presence (the bread of life). Literally eating bread is not necessary to partake of that life.

Hard core religious nuts say it literally becomes the body and blood, so yes, it's cannibalistic.
First off: a belief is a belief and not something that should be denigrated as the thinking of “hard core religious nuts.”

Secondly, if some very religious folks assume it’s literal truth, then it’s only cannabalistic in a manner of speaking to them. But my question was broader. I’m wondering why those words spoken by Jesus are claimed to be literal. We know that Jesus spoke in parables. Maybe it was well understood back then that he was speaking in a metaphorical sense.

If you say to someone who is making bad jokes, “Hey stop it. You’re killing me!” We all know that you aren’t literally being murdered.

We know that Jesus spoke in parables. Maybe it was well understood back then that he was speaking in a metaphorical sense.
Except...when people heard these words, a number left them. He didn't call them back, nor did he explain later to his Apostles, that he was speaking metaphorically. He simply asked his closest followers, "Will you leave me as well?"

Except...when people heard these words, a number left them. He didn't call them back, nor did he explain later to his Apostles, that he was speaking metaphorically. He simply asked his closest followers, "Will you leave me as well?"
They didn’t leave because of the words (literal of figurative). Maybe they had other things to attend to? Maybe they felt fear at what they believed was about to befall Jesus.

Either way, I don’t see how that tells anyone whether the words were anything but metaphorical.

Forum List

Back