Thiel: Fake Culture Wars Only Distract Us From Our Economic Decline

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
And he received a standing O.

“I don’t pretend to agree with every plank in our party’s platform. But fake culture wars only distract us from our economic decline," he said. "When I was a kid, the great debate was about how to defeat the Soviet Union. And we won. Now we are told that the great debate is about who gets to use which bathroom. This is a distraction from our real problems. Who cares?"

“I don’t pretend to agree with every plank in our party’s platform. But fake culture wars only distract us from our economic decline," he said. "When I was a kid, the great debate was about how to defeat the Soviet Union. And we won. Now we are told that the great debate is about who gets to use which bathroom. This is a distraction from our real problems. Who cares?"
Yep.

Policy is policy, culture is culture. If culture warriors want to change the culture, they have to do it from within the culture, not at the ballot box.

Good for him.

Thiel speaks to the crux of the problem: you social cons can go take a hike.

The culture war is not fake, nor is it solely composed of some bathroom controversy.

If conservatives want to pretend there is no culture war, you can start by conceding that we are a pro-choice, pro-gay rights nation,

and then we'll go from there.

Thiel speaks to the crux of the problem: you social cons can go take a hike.

Picture1.jpg

This is a good point.

Regarding economic decline, I don't think people realize what is involved in rebuilding a manufacturing base with decent wages for American families. Most liberals would love to see a return of America's high wage manufacturing glory, but I'm not sure free market Republicans could ever support the tying of capital to one labor market.

The whole point of capitalism is to let the jobs go to wherever the highest profits can be realized - and Nike investors simply make more money when their products are made for pennies by landless peasants living beneath brutal dictators (who, by oppressing those labor forces, keep those labor costs down).

This is why Trump has his ties made in Mexico - because he, understandably, is motivated by profit.

MEANING: If you want to bring those jobs back, than you will have to convince investors to continue risking their money as their costs go up/profits go down. And let's not forget the fact that consumers will likely buy less goods because the costs of those goods will go up.

Also, what about the steel company who, by relocating from Mexico back to Pittsburgh, would pay higher costs because instead of being able to pollute Mexican rivers and pay slave labor costs, they now must protect drinking water and pay more than 2$/hr (so we don't recreate the slums of Mexico where workers live in dirt shacks and drink brown water). Also, those new American steel plants wont be able to sell their products on the global market because the price will be too high.

So, yes, while I'm all for bringing those factories home, I fear that "talk radio" republicans don't understand how the global flow of capital works. Money simply won't flow into new production unless the costs are calibrated to profit incentives.

Point is: it will never happen because companies like Carrier and Walmart - who depend greatly on ultra cheap Chinese and Mexican production costs - will not let their puppet congressmen vote to undermine their business model.

Trump is asking for an FDR-style fucking of big business whereby we force wealthy corporations to take lower profits by repatriating them and forcing them to absorb first world labor costs. I'd love to see workers keep more of the profits made off their backs, but it contradicts Reaganomics so deeply that I know the republicans would never follow-through.

The point is: Trump is taking advantage of uneducated patriots who convulse orgasmically to the same old political promises.

Last edited:

This is a good point.

Regarding economic decline, I don't think people realize what is involved in rebuilding a manufacturing base with decent wages for American families. Most liberals would love to see a return of America's high wage manufacturing glory, but I'm not sure free market Republicans could ever support the tying of capital to one labor market.

The whole point of capitalism is to let the jobs go to wherever the highest profits can be realized - and Nike investors simply make more money when their products are made for pennies by landless peasants living beneath brutal dictators (who, by oppressing those labor forces, keep those labor costs down).

This is why Trump has his ties made in Mexico - because he, understandably, is motivated by profit.

MEANING: If you want to bring those jobs back, than you will have to convince investors to continue risking their money as their costs go up/profits go down. And let's not forget the fact that consumers will likely buy less goods because the costs of those goods will go up.

Also, what about the steel company who, by relocating from Mexico back to Pittsburgh, would pay higher costs because instead of being able to pollute Mexican rivers and pay slave labor costs, they now must protect drinking water and pay more than 2$/hr (so we don't recreate the slums of Mexico where workers live in dirt shacks and drink brown water). Also, those new American steel plants wont be able to sell their products on the global market because the price will be too high.

So, yes, while I'm all for bringing those factories home, I fear that "talk radio" republicans don't understand how the global flow of capital works. Money simply won't flow into new production unless the costs are calibrated to profit incentives.

Point is: it will never happen because companies like Carrier and Walmart - who depend greatly on ultra cheap Chinese and Mexican production costs - will not let their puppet congressmen vote to undermine their business model.

Trump is asking for an FDR-style fucking of big business whereby we force wealthy corporations to take lower profits by repatriating them and forcing them to absorb first world labor costs. I'd fucking love it, but it contradicts Reaganomics so deeply that I know the republicans would never follow-through.

The point is: Trump is making promises he could never keep. He is taking advantage of uneducated simpletons who convulse orgasmically to the same old political promises.

Maybe he can and maybe he can't do what he said. But in my opinion something needs done and Mrs. Tuzla isn't the person that has a chance at getting it done. What happens if we don't bring jobs back? How much in welfare, unemployment and other cost will that cost America? Maybe higher prices are the answer when people actually have money to spend.

Trump is asking for an FDR-style fucking of big business whereby we force wealthy corporations to take lower profits by repatriating them and forcing them to absorb first world labor costs. I'd fucking love it, but it contradicts Reaganomics so deeply that I know the republicans would never follow-through.

The point is: Trump is making promises he could never keep. He is taking advantage of uneducated simpletons who convulse orgasmically to the same old political promises.
Dude. If you can't fit this onto a bumper sticker, Trump's Chumps won't read it.

11tlwle.jpg

TL;DNR

The number one drag on our economy is debt. Private and governmental.

The federal debt was a bipartisan effort. It was not just the Democrats. It was not just the Republicans. The divide-and-conquer strategy of getting the rubes to blame one party and ignore their own party's sins is succeeding all too well. Until the rubes wake up and realize they've been had, they will continue to spend, spend, spend and bleev its the other guys doing it.

What happens if we don't bring jobs back? How much in welfare, unemployment and other cost will that cost America? Maybe higher prices are the answer when people actually have money to spend.

This is a good way of putting it.

If the effects of globalization mean that a huge portion of the population doesn't get paid enough to survive, than we get stuck with higher welfare costs and higher crime levels.

Also, lower wages and fewer jobs means an increase in personal debt levels, which means that middle class families eventually become insolvent, which also comes with tremendous costs. The nation needs to start looking at the full implications of our current form of hyper-globalized capitalism and the true costs of incentivizing production with ever cheaper labor costs.

Forum List

Back