There Will Be No Trump Coup

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
A final pre-election case for understanding the president as a noisy weakling, not a budding autocrat.

‘Across the last four years, the Trump administration has indeed displayed hallmarks of authoritarianism. It features egregious internal sycophancy and hacks in high positions, abusive presidential rhetoric and mendacity on an unusual scale. The president’s attempts to delegitimize the 2020 vote aren’t novel; they’re an extension of the way he’s talked since his birther days, paranoid and demagogic.

These are all very bad things, and good reasons to favor his defeat. But it’s also important to recognize all the elements of authoritarianism he lacks. He lacks popularity and political skill, unlike most of the global strongmen who are supposed to be his peers. He lacks power over the media: Outside of Fox’s prime time, he faces an unremittingly hostile press whose major outlets have thrived throughout his presidency. He is plainly despised by his own military leadership, and notwithstanding his courtship of Mark Zuckerberg, Silicon Valley is more likely to censor him than to support him in a constitutional crisis.

His own Supreme Court appointees have already ruled against him; his attempts to turn his voter-fraud hype into litigation have been repeatedly defeated in the courts; he has been constantly at war with his own C.I.A. and F.B.I. And there is no mass movement behind him: The threat of far-right violence is certainly real, but America’s streets belong to the anti-Trump left.
[…]
Meanwhile, the scenarios that have been spun out in reputable publications — where Trump induces Republican state legislatures to overrule the clear outcome in their states or militia violence intimidates the Supreme Court into vacating a Biden victory — bear no relationship to the Trump presidency we’ve actually experienced. Our weak, ranting, infected-by-Covid chief executive is not plotting a coup, because a term like “plotting” implies capabilities that he conspicuously lacks.’

I don’t necessarily agree with the last paragraph; Democrats would be insane to underestimate Trump, he will certainly seek to compromise the election process to his advantage – and Democrats must be prepared to oppose Trump’s every attempt.

A final pre-election case for understanding the president as a noisy weakling, not a budding autocrat.

‘Across the last four years, the Trump administration has indeed displayed hallmarks of authoritarianism. It features egregious internal sycophancy and hacks in high positions, abusive presidential rhetoric and mendacity on an unusual scale. The president’s attempts to delegitimize the 2020 vote aren’t novel; they’re an extension of the way he’s talked since his birther days, paranoid and demagogic.

These are all very bad things, and good reasons to favor his defeat. But it’s also important to recognize all the elements of authoritarianism he lacks. He lacks popularity and political skill, unlike most of the global strongmen who are supposed to be his peers. He lacks power over the media: Outside of Fox’s prime time, he faces an unremittingly hostile press whose major outlets have thrived throughout his presidency. He is plainly despised by his own military leadership, and notwithstanding his courtship of Mark Zuckerberg, Silicon Valley is more likely to censor him than to support him in a constitutional crisis.

His own Supreme Court appointees have already ruled against him; his attempts to turn his voter-fraud hype into litigation have been repeatedly defeated in the courts; he has been constantly at war with his own C.I.A. and F.B.I. And there is no mass movement behind him: The threat of far-right violence is certainly real, but America’s streets belong to the anti-Trump left.
[…]
Meanwhile, the scenarios that have been spun out in reputable publications — where Trump induces Republican state legislatures to overrule the clear outcome in their states or militia violence intimidates the Supreme Court into vacating a Biden victory — bear no relationship to the Trump presidency we’ve actually experienced. Our weak, ranting, infected-by-Covid chief executive is not plotting a coup, because a term like “plotting” implies capabilities that he conspicuously lacks.’

I don’t necessarily agree with the last paragraph; Democrats would be insane to underestimate Trump, he will certainly seek to compromise the election process to his advantage – and Democrats must be prepared to oppose Trump’s every attempt.

Trump is bad, but he isn't the real problem. Republican senators who refuse to do their jobs and reign him in are the real problem. They need to go

[…]

He has held and maintained his rope doped pride of voters who still haven't figured out they are being herded.

[…]

He has held and maintained his rope doped pride of voters who still haven't figured out they are being herded.
and of course the people in the other pasture are not being herded...right?....

[…]

Trump himself is too fucking stupid to plot, but those in his orbit could. Buckle up - Nov. 3 will be messy. His supporters will blindly go along with it guaranteed.

[…]

Trump himself is too fucking stupid to plot, but those in his orbit could. Buckle up - Nov. 3 will be messy. His supporters will blindly go along with it guaranteed.

Just like you'll go down on Camel-A Harris when she's defeated but won't let go.

Use protection......

[…]

Just like you'll go down on Camel-A Harris when she's defeated but won't let go.

Use protection......
Well, I guess that's a comeback of sorts.
But...Oscar Wilde you ain't.

[…]

Correct.

It will be Republican party bosses and conservative operatives at the state level trying to sow chaos and interfering with the election process.

[…]

Correct.

It will be Republican party bosses and conservative operatives at the state level trying to sow chaos and interfering with the election process.
Our only hope is a Biden landslide victory.

[…]

YOU are the assholes who tried to engineer a coup you fucking prick. YOU are going to lose this election because your candidate is a Chinese stooge who has sold this country out. And pseudo intellectual you, are too stupid to understand.

[…]

YOU are the assholes who tried to engineer a coup you fucking prick. YOU are going to lose this election because your candidate is a Chinese stooge who has sold this country out. And pseudo intellectual you, are too stupid to understand.
you already have a chinese stooge

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/04/tru...ark-requests-while-running-for-president.html

Analyses of domestic and international trademark applications databases show that Trump, his company and his family have applied for upward of 1,000 trademarks since the late 1980s.

A large chunk of those applications, about 200, were filed since 2015, the year that Trump, a real estate mogul and reality TV star, announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination. He launched his run in June of that year.

Around half of those more recent applications were filed in China — and many of those were brand protections sought by the president’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, who also is a senior White House advisor.

Ivanka Trump Marks LLC in 2017 sought trademark protections in categories that included toys, alcoholic beverages and foods in China.

At that time, the United States government was — as it continues to be — engaged in a large trade war with China at the direction of Trump.

In October 2018, Ivanka Trump — who three months earlier had said she was shutting down her personal clothing brand — won initial approval from the Chinese government for 16 new trademarks, which covered a range of products that included “voting machines.”

[…]

Correct.

Lol. Good luck. Your only shot is is cheating . Ballot harvesting , been the plan all along . You guys are so close to destroying America you can taste it . But, along comes superman .

[…]

Correct.

Lol. Good luck. Your only shot is is cheating . Ballot harvesting , been the plan all along . You guys are so close to destroying America you can taste it . But, along comes superman .
Who, exactly, is doing the ballot harvesting? Also,
How does anyone get away with it if republicans control the elections in most of the swing states?

Forum List

Back