The Worst Way To Die?

The worst way for to die would be to be shot by an enraged husband at age 105. By then I wouldn't be able to run fast enough.

Being shot by a jealous husband at 105-years-old would be the best way ever to die. That's the kind of thing you would have engraved on your headstone.

You would need rotator cuff surgery in heaven from all the high fives.

Since human mortality seems to be the theme of 2020, I've been giving thought to the worst way possible to die. Not just the worst way, but the way that induces the most dread. For example, dying in the Sarlaac (from Star Wars) would be an extremely horrible way to die, being digested over 1,000 years. On the other hand, because it is extremely unlikely to happen, it's not going to be worrisome to anyone who isn't a galactic bounty hunter with a jet pack.

Statistically, human beings have a 98% chance of dying at some point in their lifespan (+/- 2% margin of error) so this is a topic which should interest most of us.

I purposely chose not to include a poll because it would limit types of deaths into specific categories such as 'gruesome', 'lonely', painful', 'embarrassing', etc. The manner of death you describe should be that which fills you with the most dread. For some, that might be a death by COVID (very topical). For others, being snuffed out with the remainder of life on Earth by a gamma ray burst from a distant star.

I'll start it out with what I consider a particularly terrible way to die...

"Dying of a slow and painful cancer (such as bone or rectal), in a cut-rate nursing home, with dementia and your family never visit."
Burning to death in a fire would be the worst way to go to me. Being stabbed or shot in the abdomen and dying slowly is a really bad way to go also.

The question has the ring of one posed by a street-corner preacher: If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, how would you spend today? Answers, presumably, will vary. You might visit your family, or break off a relationship, or go careening down the highway at top speed on your motorcycle. You might get incredibly drunk, or go to church, or hug your child. It’s just a thought experiment, but it’s a revealing one.

Wait, back up — is it a thought experiment? None of us know for sure that we’ll die tomorrow, but we also don’t know that we won’t. Calamity waits around every corner. Freak accidents and aneurysms occur. The scariest obituaries are those memorializing people who didn’t know death was imminent, but it came for them anyhow.

Many of us live our lives sustained by a wholly unsupportable illusion we rarely confront: Death is out in the distance somewhere, not nearby.

I realize Steve Buschemi was already dead in that famous scene in Fargo, but still...….....

He still manged to get shot in the face and I have to imagine that Peter Stomare didn't take him out quickly.

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow,

It's not about if you knew you were dying tomorrow. In a Sylvia Plath kind of way, we're all dying tomorrow.

It's about what kind of death fills you with the most dread.

I'm not seeing a lot of folks here say COVID.

It's not about if you knew you were dying tomorrow. In a Sylvia Plath kind of way, we're all dying tomorrow.

I know. I was just adding another dimension to it.

Either way, you cannot choose.

You can always choose what to dread. It's a conscious decision.

You can always choose what to dread. It's a conscious decision.

Not so sure about that.

Follow up question ...

"If you didn't die, how long would it take before immortality became a fate worse than death?"

A few centuries? A couple of millennia? A few million years?

If I can be highlander and hang with Sean Connery.......and chop off heads .

Throw in the blonde to ....deal!

It could be interesting....i would love to see the white man make it to interstellar space.?...its our destiny ...if we don't kill ourselves off

Of course with the help of the nerdy jews to ...someone's gotta do the math

Born to be kangzzz...princes of the universe

To late to conquer the world
To early to conquer the galaxy
Right on time for igloo baby !

princes of the universe

Actually, Prince of Space is Japanese...

prince-of-space.png

While working. While doing something fun much better. On the job would be the worst.

Since human mortality seems to be the theme of 2020, I've been giving thought to the worst way possible to die. Not just the worst way, but the way that induces the most dread. For example, dying in the Sarlaac (from Star Wars) would be an extremely horrible way to die, being digested over 1,000 years. On the other hand, because it is extremely unlikely to happen, it's not going to be worrisome to anyone who isn't a galactic bounty hunter with a jet pack.

Statistically, human beings have a 98% chance of dying at some point in their lifespan (+/- 2% margin of error) so this is a topic which should interest most of us.

I purposely chose not to include a poll because it would limit types of deaths into specific categories such as 'gruesome', 'lonely', painful', 'embarrassing', etc. The manner of death you describe should be that which fills you with the most dread. For some, that might be a death by COVID (very topical). For others, being snuffed out with the remainder of life on Earth by a gamma ray burst from a distant star.

I'll start it out with what I consider a particularly terrible way to die...

"Dying of a slow and painful cancer (such as bone or rectal), in a cut-rate nursing home, with dementia and your family never visit."
Forgotten.

An airplane crash would be pretty horrible.

The airplane losing altitude, plunging to the ground .....so so fast....OMG

Can you imagine those last seconds for the passengers inside? horrible

Cancer...........and the agony for a long period of time..........or circulation problems to gangrene............

I've seen them both..........would rather get run over by a beer truck.

Forum List

Back