The Worst Way To Die?

Follow up question ...

"If you didn't die, how long would it take before immortality became a fate worse than death?"

A few centuries? A couple of millennia? A few million years?
I don't know about you but I have eternal life, thanks to Jesus

I think you might "live" to regret that. Imagine spending eternity in a dentist's office. Of the checkout line at Costco?
Hot girls in bikinis?

" When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather - not screaming, like the passengers in his car. "

Also Emo Philips. I don't like to quote the same person twice, but that seemed particularly appropriate.

Since human mortality seems to be the theme of 2020, I've been giving thought to the worst way possible to die. Not just the worst way, but the way that induces the most dread. For example, dying in the Sarlaac (from Star Wars) would be an extremely horrible way to die, being digested over 1,000 years. On the other hand, because it is extremely unlikely to happen, it's not going to be worrisome to anyone who isn't a galactic bounty hunter with a jet pack.

Statistically, human beings have a 98% chance of dying at some point in their lifespan (+/- 2% margin of error) so this is a topic which should interest most of us.

I purposely chose not to include a poll because it would limit types of deaths into specific categories such as 'gruesome', 'lonely', painful', 'embarrassing', etc. The manner of death you describe should be that which fills you with the most dread. For some, that might be a death by COVID (very topical). For others, being snuffed out with the remainder of life on Earth by a gamma ray burst from a distant star.

I'll start it out with what I consider a particularly terrible way to die...

"Dying of a slow and painful cancer (such as bone or rectal), in a cut-rate nursing home, with dementia and your family never visit."

Ok. But is that the worst?

Follow up question ...

"If you didn't die, how long would it take before immortality became a fate worse than death?"

I think you might "live" to regret that. Imagine spending eternity in a dentist's office. Of the checkout line at Costco?
Hot girls in bikinis?

Who get older and less able to properly fill out a bikini with each passing day.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

Who get older and less able to properly fill out a bikini with each passing day.
You don't age in heaven

Since human mortality seems to be the theme of 2020, I've been giving thought to the worst way possible to die. Not just the worst way, but the way that induces the most dread. For example, dying in the Sarlaac (from Star Wars) would be an extremely horrible way to die, being digested over 1,000 years. On the other hand, because it is extremely unlikely to happen, it's not going to be worrisome to anyone who isn't a galactic bounty hunter with a jet pack.

Statistically, human beings have a 98% chance of dying at some point in their lifespan (+/- 2% margin of error) so this is a topic which should interest most of us.

I purposely chose not to include a poll because it would limit types of deaths into specific categories such as 'gruesome', 'lonely', painful', 'embarrassing', etc. The manner of death you describe should be that which fills you with the most dread. For some, that might be a death by COVID (very topical). For others, being snuffed out with the remainder of life on Earth by a gamma ray burst from a distant star.

"Dying of a slow and painful cancer (such as bone or rectal), in a cut-rate nursing home, with dementia and your family never visit."

Ok. But is that the worst?

As I said, not necessarily the most gruesome, but the one that most fills with dread. Some of the worst ways to die remain extremely unlikely. So, if you dread them then you're probably just wasting time.

Even with particularly bad rare events like dying from a terrorist attack, or an air disaster, or COVID, at the end of the day, you'll end up with a proper memorial and go out being remembered --- you might even become a historical footnote.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

So, if a child dies, he has to stay prepubescent for the rest of time? Or worse, a teenager dying is filled with raging hormones and teenage angst for eternity? Kill me now.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

So, if a child dies, he has to stay prepubescent for the rest of time? Or worse, a teenager dying is filled with raging hormones and teenage angst for eternity? Kill me now.

So you think this is it being a cop and all?

You seen more stranger things then I

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

The scriptures of Judaism don't actually speak much about the afterlife. It's all left very vague. Judaism is focused on your earthly life. It does mention a 'world to come' but with precious few details. It leaves the door open to embrace a lot of alternative theories, such as re-incarnation, or another plane of spiritual existence.

I would be very sad indeed if an eternal afterlife was just a continuation of our earthly existence, except the only video game is Harp Hero.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

The scriptures of Judaism don't actually speak much about the afterlife. It's all left very vague. Judaism is focused on your earthly life. It does mention a 'world to come' but with precious few details. It leaves the door open to embrace a lot of alternative theories, such as re-incarnation, or another plane of spiritual existence.

I would be very sad indeed if an eternal afterlife was just a continuation of our earthly existence, except the only video game is Harp Hero.
King David was very clear when his 1st son died

Hopelessness which leads to suicide.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

Absalom was consigned to Gehenna, which is very different from the xtian notion of Hell. Torah doesn't give a vivid description of Gehena, but Kabbalah describes it as a sort of purgatory in which your stay is quite short (12 months maximum for the most wicked).

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

Absalom was consigned to Gehenna, which is very different from the xtian notion of Hell. Torah doesn't give a vivid description of Gehena, but Kabbalah describes it as a sort of purgatory in which your stay is quite short (12 months maximum for the most wicked).
Abro blossom it's describe well in luke17

Hopelessness which leads to suicide.
Love

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

But, not Jewish scripture. So, it's not much use to me.

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

So you speak Hebrew now?

Follow up question ...

Hot girls in bikinis?

You don't age in heaven

So you speak Hebrew now?

I read Hebrew. Have since I was a kid. My spoken Hebrew is abysmal.

Forum List

Back