The word "relationship"

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
While watching an episode of MASH, I noted Hawkeye using the word “relationship” to describe his social life. Given that the show was set during the Korea War, the word seemed misplaced.

As I recall, the word “relationship” only became common during the early 1970s as part of what I would call “aspirational dating.” Before then, you had boyfriends, girlfriends, you were “serious” or were engaged. Often, you married your high school sweetheart or the first person you had sex with, or you got married if your girlfriend got pregnant.

The sexual revolution brought the attitude of “I can do better than this” and “There’s a whole world of people out there. I shouldn’t settle for someone less than I deserve.” The increase in college attendance also increased the waiting time for commitment, as you could now choose a potential mate from a larger, more cosmopolitan group of people.

The word “relationship” was a tool of moral relativity. There was nothing wrong with dating a long string of people. They were just “relationships,” none demanding exclusivity or commitment.

All valid but...

Look at Hawkeye's character.

He was a wisecracking playboy.

Love that show BTW.

Forum List

Back