Zone1 Let's Discuss the word "Plantation"

AyeCantSeeYou

Platinum Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
May 19, 2013
DMV
When you hear the word plantation, what does it mean to you?
What images come to mind?
Does the word have any racist connotation to you?

I've seen several people on the forum use plantation in very racist ways. Maybe they think people don't notice it or that they think they're being cute or maybe they're going for brownie points and high fives from the racists that frequent this part of the forum. Whatever their reason, I seriously doubt they realize how uneducated and ignorant they make themselves out to be.

Before replying to this thread, remember that this is Zone 1.

It is interesting that the term “plantation” is only used to characterize inner city blacks who receive welfare.

Yet, there are communities of whites in Appalachia, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia who have received government welfare for generations.

Nobody refers to them as plantations

It is interesting that the term “plantation” is only used to characterize inner city blacks who receive welfare.

Yet, there are communities of whites in Appalachia, Louisiana, Mississippi, West Virginia who have received government welfare for generations.

Nobody refers to them as plantations
And few say the word Brabble anymore either - WE MUST BAN IT!!!

This is a whole lot of nothing.
It is a word that derived from Latin used many-many years ago as raising vegetation.
In the 1400s-1700s it was used primarily to describe new communities built around fertile farm lands. And that is what it was meant in the south.

I don't ever see the term invoked any more unless it's invoked in some race debate.

Most often when a black person says something like, oh, you wanna put us back on the plantantion, do ya?

Or something of that tenor.

Sometimes I'll see so called conservatives saying to so-called progressives that Democrats are gonna put em back on the plantation.

Obviously everyone knows what a plantation is by definition.

Interestingly, I do always immediately picture a colonial setting when I see the term.

That's the first thought off the top of my head anyway.

Nowadays everybody just calls em factory farms or whatever.

Last edited:
And few say the word Brabble anymore either - WE MUST BAN IT!!!

This is a whole lot of nothing.
It is a word that derived from Latin used many-many years ago as raising vegetation.
In the 1400s-1700s it was used primarily to describe new communities built around fertile farm lands. And that is what it was meant in the south.
Nobody objects to using the term plantation to refer to a plantation.

However, using it to refer to blacks who receive Government assistance is demeaning to blacks on welfare and an insult to the horrors of actual plantations

I never really liked that Hilton Head Island used the word plantations to describe its gated neighborhoods because of the optics of that particularly in the face of the large-scale gentrification policies there. Beyond that, how people use it is up to them.

I've seen several people on the forum use plantation in very racist ways. Maybe they think people don't notice it or that they think they're being cute or maybe they're going for brownie points and high fives from the racists that frequent this part of the forum. Whatever their reason, I seriously doubt they realize how uneducated and ignorant they make themselves out to be.

This is what we mean when we say something is a "dog whistle".

A large farm growing specific products - usually with many workers. In the south this involved slaves. However the term is different in other locations. For example, on Guadalcanal the battle of Alligator Creek was fought near a coconut plantation.

I heard the Brits use that term for large farm back in the 1600s.

What I don't understand is why some people want to demean others by using it in a derogatory way. Do they think they are "better" than everyone else? What do they get out of it?

Forum List

Back