The USA's Great Proud Just History.

The link is for the benefit of those like you who are ignorant of history. There are hundreds of links on the dozens of threads on this topic. Go read them and educate yourself.
Links are not facts. Hundreds of links prove nothing. A link can say anything they wish. They can make claims that are impossible to validate. It is all about religion for you. You must BELIEVE.

Your link makes claims about what Admiral Halsey stated. Stuff he never wrote in a book? How is that? You find a link and the only place to get that information is from google. It is not written in any of Halsey's books. Nobody in your link even makes a claim that they are referencing anybody's books, diary, or notes.

Halsey stated the following;
After the bombs were dropped, upon hearing that the Japanese were about to surrender, Halsey growled, "Have we enough fuel to turn around and hit the bastards once more before they quit".

Not exactly the words of a man being sympathetic with the japanese.

funny, you actually cant think and articulate your views and opinion. All you can do is link through google? I already addressed your link.

Halsey never said what is claimed in your link.
Eisenhower was proved to be lying
Leahy thought the bomb would not work

"Take, for example, Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." Moreover, Leahy continued, "in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

President Dwight Eisenhower, the Allied commander in Europe during World War II, recalled in 1963, as he did on several other occasions, that he had opposed using the atomic bomb on Japan during a July 1945 meeting with Secretary of War Henry Stimson: "I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon."

Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, the tough and outspoken commander of the U.S. Third Fleet, which participated in the American offensive against the Japanese home islands in the final months of the war, publicly stated in 1946 that "the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment." The Japanese, he noted, had "put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before" the bomb was used. "

"Take, for example, Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." Moreover, Leahy continued, "in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

President Dwight Eisenhower, the Allied commander in Europe during World War II, recalled in 1963, as he did on several other occasions, that he had opposed using the atomic bomb on Japan during a July 1945 meeting with Secretary of War Henry Stimson: "I told him I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon."

Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, the tough and outspoken commander of the U.S. Third Fleet, which participated in the American offensive against the Japanese home islands in the final months of the war, publicly stated in 1946 that "the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment." The Japanese, he noted, had "put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before" the bomb was used. "

Okay, link to the source of Admiral Halsey's comment. I know you can not. An article that does not reference where the quote came from is hersey at best. In the context of a discussion such as this a link with no reference to the original source is simple propaganda.

This quote comes directly from Halsey's book, Halsey obviously did not consider the Japanese beat.

Peace feelers, offers to surrender? None from the military leadership that was in charge and refused to surrender.

"After the bombs were dropped, upon hearing that the Japanese were about to surrender, Halsey growled, "Have we enough fuel to turn around and hit the bastards once more before they quit".

Where is the rest of the interview? This appears to be a clip or photo of a paper but it only shows a partial bit of what appears to be a larger interview. There is much to be learned by seeing the proper context of this comment.

Where is the rest of the interview? This appears to be a clip or photo of a paper but it only shows a partial bit of what appears to be a larger interview. There is much to be learned by seeing the proper context of this comment.
The site requires registration to get access to all of the archives.

The site requires registration to get access to all of the archives.
regardless, we do know what Admiral Halsey said at the time the bomb was dropped. We do know that at the time the bomb was dropped Halsey was very busy attacking the Japanese. At no time did Halsey advocate for lessening or stopping our attack on Japan. I have seen no statements from Halsey where he tried to stop the use of Atomic weapons.

Halsey growled, "Have we enough fuel to turn around and hit the bastards once more before they quit".

Halsey also stated, "at least no more of my boys have to die".

It is clear that Halsey's position was to end the war as quickly as possible, that his preferred method was bombing by the navy. Halsey did nothing to stop the atomic bombs from being dropped. Not one word of protest.

Whatever Halsey stated a year later, has any bearing on his actions during the war. How Halsey felt or chose to reply, did not change his feelings, his thoughts, or his actions. Halsey actively fought a war as a leader of the Navy, never ceasing his attacks. And attack he did, over and over, and over.

I would like to see the entire interview, unedited.

sorry it took so long to get back to this. But what how is it relevant if Halsey says we should never use the bomb again.

It is not like Halsey ever said, "stop, do not use the atomic bomb"

Halsey never ever once told anyone not to use the bomb or to stop bombing Japan. So, what difference does Halsey's opinion on the future matter, to the past?

= you admit you were wrong but you don't know how to say it directly
I quoted Halsey, Eisenhower, and Leahy. None of them said, "Dont drop an atomic bomb". How.is that wrong?
" Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." "

" Admiral William Leahy, White House chief of staff and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war. Leahy wrote in his 1950 memoirs that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender." "
Yet, Leahy kept his mouth shut and never ever told Truman not to drop what he considered immoral and no longer needed?. Leahy made a bet with King of England saying it would not work. Leahy boosted that he was a ordinance expert and it would never work.

Leahy said they would surrender after Admiral Halsey's Naval bombardment and the Army Air Force bombed and starved the Japanese for at least 3 more months! That is in the same book your quote comes from!

What is missing in Leahy's book? Any moral outrage or sympathy for the 6 year old girls who burned to death in the fire bombings of Tokoyo? Did Leahy worry or care the proposed Naval blockade would slowly starve to death the Japanese children?

Feelings claimed to be felt 15 years after the war are irrelevant in light of the actions of Leahy during the war.

The sins of others never justify sin.
We cannot fathom the argument that because X committed an antrocity it is ok for Y.
"Context"? The war in the Pacific is the context. In that context, certain sites were bypassed because invasion was unnecessary. Certain islands were isolated, cut off, unable to resupply. At the end, this principle applied to Japan itself. There was no necessity of invasion, thus no necessity to save "a million G.I.s", as their lives would not be in danger. And this is so deafeningly clear that all argument to the contrary devolves to mere racist vengeance.
Who and what was the real threat to the U.S. in August of 1945?
hahahhahah--you prove to know nothing about WW2

There are stories of Japanese children, sent into the mountains to escape the destruction of the cities.

Five short years. Yet in that time, much has changed. I began digging deeper into that war, visiting Hiroshima twice and gathering stories from those who were there.

Mushroom clouds of smoke can be seen filling the sky in two black and white images.

This week marks 75 years since the world's first two nuclear bombs were detonated over the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.(Wikipedia)
On one trip, I met a woman who was born in the same year as my dad, Kazuko san. She was spritely and healthy at 84 years old and had travelled two hours by train to meet me.

She, too, spent a few years in the mountains. She never wanted to forget and she was passionate about educating the next generations about evacuated children.

When I returned the following year to film a documentary, hoping to meet her again and get her story on camera, she was dead.

She had moved house, then gotten a mild cold, and that was it. The chance to look into the eyes of someone who had seen it, lived it, gone.
Mass murdering innocent civilians is nothing to be proud of.
but it wasn't murder

Forum List

Back