The Speed of Light

Kentucky_Conservative

Oct 13, 2019
It occurs to me that the speed of light, which was established long ago to be 186,000 miles per second, has ONLY been measured in the Earth's atmosphere and while dealing with gravitational forces, etc.

I really do not follow this stuff, but now that we have (had) space shuttles flying around in space, have any RECENT tests been done to either verify or CORRECT the measurement?

If the speed of light measured in SPACE is actually faster (or slower) than the agreed number we have been using, wouldn't that change a whole lot of things in the world of Astronomy?

It occurs to me that the speed of light, which was established long ago to be 186,000 miles per second, has ONLY been measured in the Earth's atmosphere and while dealing with gravitational forces, etc.

I really do not follow this stuff, but now that we have (had) space shuttles flying around in space, have any RECENT tests been done to either verify or CORRECT the measurement?

If the speed of light measured in SPACE is actually faster (or slower) than the agreed number we have been using, wouldn't that change a whole lot of things in the world of Astronomy?
Yes, it has been measured in space. So there you have it.

Forum List

Back