The Science is Settled

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could ask the four people that just died in Arizona. Besides, didn't I just say it wasn't absolute temperature but RATE? Haven't said that a hundred times before?

You could ask the four people that just died in Arizona.

Oh, 4 people died in Arizona? I guess that's all I need to end the use of all fossil fuels.

Besides, didn't I just say it wasn't absolute temperature but RATE?

Rate? In post #72 I asked, "Starting at what point, ending at what point, the temperature rose by how much?"

It's almost like I was asking the temperature change between 2 points in time. You know, RATE.

Figure 6.Climate changes associated with the Younger Dryas, highlighedhere by the light blue bar, include (from top to bottom): cooling and decreased snow accumulation in Greenland, cooling in the tropical Cariaco Basin, and warming in Antarctica. Also shown is the flux of meltwater from the Laurentide Ice Sheet down the St. Lawrence River. Sources: Alley (2000),Lea et al. (2003), EPICA (2004), Licciardi et al. (1999).

The Late Pleistocene extinction event saw the extinction of many mammals weighing more than 40 kg.

Quaternary extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty solid evidence of a rapid climate change that resulted in major extinctions in North America.
Damn that Fred Flinstone.

This rate

2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

Transfer the data from the graph below on to the graph above and the annual mean line extends to about the top of the title text "Reconstructed Temperature"

800px-Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg.png
So for over 2,000 years the temperature was 0.4 degrees below nominal, and your whining it's 0.3 degrees above nominal? Hilarious.
Almost all weather related deaths are due to cold. Millions of lives will be saved.

You could ask the four people that just died in Arizona. Besides, didn't I just say it wasn't absolute temperature but RATE? Haven't said that a hundred times before?

Oh, 4 people died in Arizona? I guess that's all I need to end the use of all fossil fuels.

Rate? In post #72 I asked, "Starting at what point, ending at what point, the temperature rose by how much?"

It's almost like I was asking the temperature change between 2 points in time. You know, RATE.

Figure 6.Climate changes associated with the Younger Dryas, highlighedhere by the light blue bar, include (from top to bottom): cooling and decreased snow accumulation in Greenland, cooling in the tropical Cariaco Basin, and warming in Antarctica. Also shown is the flux of meltwater from the Laurentide Ice Sheet down the St. Lawrence River. Sources: Alley (2000),Lea et al. (2003), EPICA (2004), Licciardi et al. (1999).

The Late Pleistocene extinction event saw the extinction of many mammals weighing more than 40 kg.

Pretty solid evidence of a rapid climate change that resulted in major extinctions in North America.

They grilled too many brontosaurus burgers.

They grilled too many brontosaurus burgers.
And despite carpooling, those road trips just decimated the global environment.
image.jpeg

6 degrees down adn 6 degrees up in 2-3 thousand years. Not bad. I'm not sure your purpose here, but this argues against the existence of invisible pulses of similar duration.

The Younger Dryas is a geological period from c. 12,900 to c. 11,700 calendar years ago (BP). It is named after an indicator genus, the alpine-tundra wildflower Dryas octopetala. Leaves of Dryas octopetala are occasionally abundant in the Late Glacial, often minerogenic-rich, lake sediments of Scandinavian lakes. Younger Dryas saw a sharp decline in temperature over most of the northern hemisphere, at the end of thePleistocene epoch, immediately preceding the current warmer Holocene. It was the most recent and longest of several interruptions to the gradual warming of the Earth's climate since the severe Last Glacial Maximum, c. 27,000 to 24,000 calendar years BP. The change was relatively sudden, taking place in decades, and resulted in a decline of 2 to 6 degrees Celsius, advances of glaciers and drier conditions, over much of the temperate northern hemisphere. It is thought to have been caused by a decline in the strength of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, which transports warm water from the equator towards the North Pole, and which in turn is thought to have been caused by an influx of fresh cold water from North America into the Atlantic. The Younger Dryas was a period of climatic change, but the effects were complex and variable. In the southern hemisphere, and some areas of the north such as the south-eastern United States, there was a slight warming.[2]

So, somewhat rgional, likely caused by catastrophic events and something not yet seen: the failure of the AMOC.

I bet he agrees with the Christian Pastor who says gays caused Katrina
Your science is just as absurd as theirs.
Real science is as absurd as religious nutso science? So gays caused the Katrina disaster, and sluts caused the impending Global Warming disaster?

No, that's religious nutso thinking.
I never said real science. I said your science.
There is no such thing as my or your science. Their is only 1 science. It involves hypothesising, testing and constantly reviewing what you know. That's why we know global warming is real. We can measure and compare temperatures and how much carbon is in the air both in realtime and history. You start with an hypothese a.e "gobal warming isn't real " and then you stop. No testing, no peer review, no possibility of changing your mind. That my friend is faith and NOT SCIENCE.

Can you post one test that controlled for changes in CO2 from 280PP to 400?

6 degrees down adn 6 degrees up in 2-3 thousand years. Not bad. I'm not sure your purpose here, but this argues against the existence of invisible pulses of similar duration.

The Younger Dryas is a geological period from c. 12,900 to c. 11,700 calendar years ago (BP). It is named after an indicator genus, the alpine-tundra wildflower Dryas octopetala. Leaves of Dryas octopetala are occasionally abundant in the Late Glacial, often minerogenic-rich, lake sediments of Scandinavian lakes. Younger Dryas saw a sharp decline in temperature over most of the northern hemisphere, at the end of thePleistocene epoch, immediately preceding the current warmer Holocene. It was the most recent and longest of several interruptions to the gradual warming of the Earth's climate since the severe Last Glacial Maximum, c. 27,000 to 24,000 calendar years BP. The change was relatively sudden, taking place in decades, and resulted in a decline of 2 to 6 degrees Celsius, advances of glaciers and drier conditions, over much of the temperate northern hemisphere. It is thought to have been caused by a decline in the strength of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, which transports warm water from the equator towards the North Pole, and which in turn is thought to have been caused by an influx of fresh cold water from North America into the Atlantic. The Younger Dryas was a period of climatic change, but the effects were complex and variable. In the southern hemisphere, and some areas of the north such as the south-eastern United States, there was a slight warming.[2]

So, somewhat rgional, likely caused by catastrophic events and something not yet seen: the failure of the AMOC.
Around 1176BC every major civilization collapsed. Greeks, Hitites, Caanans, Egyptians. The Bronze Age ended. Poof. Why? Most believe it was climate change.

I bet he agrees with the Christian Pastor who says gays caused Katrina
Your science is just as absurd as theirs.
Real science is as absurd as religious nutso science? So gays caused the Katrina disaster, and sluts caused the impending Global Warming disaster?

No, that's religious nutso thinking.
I never said real science. I said your science.
There is no such thing as my or your science. Their is only 1 science. It involves hypothesising, testing and constantly reviewing what you know. That's why we know global warming is real. We can measure and compare temperatures and how much carbon is in the air both in realtime and history. You start with an hypothese a.e "gobal warming isn't real " and then you stop. No testing, no peer review, no possibility of changing your mind. That my friend is faith and NOT SCIENCE.

Can you post one test that controlled for changes in CO2 from 280PP to 400?
But I can write software that changes it to 4 million PP!

When was the beginning of our current disastrous rate of change?

when man created fire. The supply of heat to help man survive an ice age. The fact that man has a brain and could figure out to transfer the compounds of the earth for use. Man got much to smart.

If you think fire will help you survive an "ice age," go re-settle in the middle of Antarctica, bring plenty of wood and lighters, and best of luck...

Well, if I had to pin a date on it, I would say when the first steam engine was fired with coal.

Well, if I had to pin a date on it, I would say when the first steam engine was fired with coal.

How much has the "global average temperature" risen from that point?

The world is getting warmer. Whether the cause is human activity or natural variability—and the preponderance of evidence says it’s humans—thermometer readings all around the world have risen steadily since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. (Click on bullets above to step through the decades.)

According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

World of Change: Global Temperatures : Feature Articles

1.4 degrees, 2/3rds of the rise since 1975. And the effect of that 'small' change is seen in the Arctic Sea Ice, the Greenland Ice Cap, and the melting of the Permafrost and the outgassing from that melt of CO2 and CH4. You have to go back to the Younger Dryas to see this kind of rapid temperature change over the whole planet.

The world is getting warmer. Whether the cause is human activity or natural variability—and the preponderance of evidence says it’s humans—thermometer readings all around the world have risen steadily since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. (Click on bullets above to step through the decades.)

According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

1.4 degrees, 2/3rds of the rise since 1975. And the effect of that 'small' change is seen in the Arctic Sea Ice, the Greenland Ice Cap, and the melting of the Permafrost and the outgassing from that melt of CO2 and CH4. You have to go back to the Younger Dryas to see this kind of rapid temperature change over the whole planet.

The world is getting warmer.

Warmer is better than colder.

the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880.

0.8 degrees in 136 years is unprecedented?

The world is getting warmer.

Warmer is better than colder.

the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880.

0.8 degrees in 136 years is unprecedented?
Yes, it is. We should be in a slow decline, not a rapid warming. And note that most of the warming has occurred in the last 41 years. Now we have seen in paleo studies the affects both of a rapid warming, and a rapid cooling in the Younger Dryas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back