The Rise And Fall Of Elvis

1586691604528.png

Elvis sold out to mainstream media

He jumped the shark when he started making movies

Elvis was just a good looking white kid who could sing......Scotty Moore was one of the reasons he sounded so good....one place you will never see Elvis is in the Song Writers Hall of Fame....

Elvis was just a good looking white kid who could sing......Scotty Moore was one of the reasons he sounded so good....one place you will never see Elvis is in the Song Writers Hall of Fame....
My favorite writer of music history, Peter Guralnick, wrote a fantastic two-part book series about Elvis. They remain to this day THE best books I've read about Elvis Presley. Parts of Greil Marcus's Mystery Train, are a close second.

Last edited:
My favorite writer of music history, Peter Guralnick, wrote a fantastic two-part book series about Elvis. They remain to this day THE best books I've read about Elvis Presley. Parts of Greil Marcus' Mystery Train, are a close second.
I checked a list of Guralnick's books. The two books about Elvis are - Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley, first published in 1994, and Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley, first published in 1999. Both books are essential reading if you're an Elvis fan, or just a fan of rock and roll history. Both are extremely detailed, but never boring, because of the love Guralnick obviously has for the subject matter. The last 50 pages or so of the second book ARE kind of difficult to read because they're so sad. I can't recommend these two books highly enough. And Greil Marcus's Mystery Train is also essential reading for anyone interested in the history and background of rock and rock and roll and learning about the musicians who influenced the rock and roll musicians that followed them. And it has an absolutely fantastic chapter on Elvis Presley.

Last edited:
My favorite writer of music history, Peter Guralnick, wrote a fantastic two-part book series about Elvis. They remain to this day THE best books I've read about Elvis Presley. Parts of Greil Marcus's Mystery Train, are a close second.
well i think the King of R&R is Chuck Berry....he did more than just play the stuff....he put his lyrics to a sound he created and then went out there and played it.....

Forum List

Back