King of Rock n Roll

As most teens did in the 70s-80s, we made fun of him.
It wasn't until probably as late as the early 2000s did I start to appreciate his talents.
Elvis Presley is one of the biggest "what if" or perhaps better - "if only" stories in Rock n Roll.
If only he had never met the Colonel. Who, for reasons no one truly knows, had Elvis psychologically in his grasp to the extreme. Elvis did everything the colonel told him to. Including spending years only giving concerts in Las Vegas so the Colonel could pay his gambling debts, and continue to gamble Elvis's money.
Elvis's best performances of his career - and there were only 3 or 4... was when he did not do what the Colonel wanted him to do.
Who knows what he would have done musically if he wasn't held prisoner like he was.

I often wonder, with his taste for teen and tween girls, if he lived today, would he be behind bars?
This is about his music legacy and not his personal life.

I often wonder, with his taste for teen and tween girls, if he lived today, would he be behind bars?
Honestly.
Give it a break.
It was a different time. Girls regularly were married by 17-18, often by men 5 or more years older.
It was wrong, but it was accepted.

Honestly.
Give it a break.
It was a different time. Girls regularly were married by 17-18, often by men 5 or more years older.
I agree that the age of consent was younger but women mature faster than men.

Elvis was before my time but my parents saw him live in concert more than once. They both rate his performances among the best of all the music stars they saw in concert.

I agree that the age of consent was younger but women mature faster than men.
My mother married my father immediately after graduation.
She was 17. My Dad was 23.
They began dating when she was 16, he was 22.
In today's corrected culture, in this situation, that would be taboo for good reason.
By back then, it was not just accepted, but usual.

Honestly.
Give it a break.
I remember Pete Rose being accused of the same thing. He was accused of shacking up with a 14 year old when he played ball and he was in his 30's. His defense......................well..................if you can call it that, was that he said he thought she was 16.

LOL.

Um............that's not a defense Pete!!

But like you say, back then no one cared and still don't seem to care.

Carry on.

I remember Pete Rose being accused of the same thing. He was accused of shacking up with a 14 year old when he played ball and he was in his 30's. His defense......................well..................if you can call it that, was that he said he thought she was 16.

LOL.

Um............that's not a defense Pete!!

But like you say, back then no one cared and still don't seem to care.

Carry on.
Not at all.
It is wrong to judge what people did in the past by using today's standards.

My great grandmother, was married at 14. That would have been around 1920. She lived in a very rural area. That was uncommon even in 1920s, but not rare, and legal.
Today that would not be acceptable at all. For darn good reason.
Every hetero man is attracted to a nubile female regardless of age. But society protects young nubile females better now than then. Just one of the many societal improvements.

as far as i am concerned Chuck Berry was the King of rock.....he did something Elvis didnt do.....compose what he played....Elvis was a good looking white kid who had a great voice singing other peoples compositions....

Forum List

Back