The Profound Junk Science of Climate

Plants, on Venus?

Yo2SMbn.gif

OK, now I am officially done with this. We not only have jumped the track, the rails have been left behind, the train has dissolved into protomatter and Xenu is returning.

It is not my conversation, but clearly he never said "plants on Venus".
He said get rid of the plants on earth and that would end all free O2.

You said dead, frozen plants release all their CO2.
How reactive is oxygen with dead frozen plants?

Generally it is microbes that accomplish most of decomposition.
And when it gets cold enough at night to kill plants, it does not stay that cold all day as well.

And when it gets cold enough at night to kill plants, it does not stay that cold all day as well.

How well do microbes work on dead, frozen plants?

So you're saying dead, warm plants decompose, not dead, frozen plants?

How well do microbes work on dead, frozen plants?

So you're saying dead, warm plants decompose, not dead, frozen plants?

What I am saying is that obviously when plants are too successful, they cause their own demise by cooling off the planet.
This is a 110,000 year long cycle, so it is not something that happens over night.
It is well known.
Have you never seen the dozen or more ice age cycles and interglacial warming periods?

ice_ages2.gif

Are these the same ice cores that show an 800 to 1,000 year lag between temperature and CO2?

{...
This is an issue that is often misunderstood in the public sphere and media, so it is worth spending some time to explain it and clarify it. At least three careful ice core studies have shown that CO2 starts to rise about 800 years (600-1000 years) after Antarctic temperature during glacial terminations. These terminations are pronounced warming periods that mark the ends of the ice ages that happen every 100,000 years or so.

Does this prove that CO2 doesn’t cause global warming? The answer is no.

The reason has to do with the fact that the warmings take about 5000 years to be complete. The lag is only 800 years. All that the lag shows is that CO2 did not cause the first 800 years of warming, out of the 5000 year trend. The other 4200 years of warming could in fact have been caused by CO2, as far as we can tell from this ice core data.

The 4200 years of warming make up about 5/6 of the total warming. So CO2 could have caused the last 5/6 of the warming, but could not have caused the first 1/6 of the warming.

It comes as no surprise that other factors besides CO2 affect climate. Changes in the amount of summer sunshine, due to changes in the Earth’s orbit around the sun that happen every 21,000 years, have long been known to affect the comings and goings of ice ages. Atlantic ocean circulation slowdowns are thought to warm Antarctica, also.

From studying all the available data (not just ice cores), the probable sequence of events at a termination goes something like this. Some (currently unknown) process causes Antarctica and the surrounding ocean to warm. This process also causes CO2 to start rising, about 800 years later. Then CO2 further warms the whole planet, because of its heat-trapping properties. This leads to even further CO2 release. So CO2 during ice ages should be thought of as a “feedback”, much like the feedback that results from putting a microphone too near to a loudspeaker.

In other words, CO2 does not initiate the warmings, but acts as an amplifier once they are underway. From model estimates, CO2 (along with other greenhouse gases CH4 and N2O) causes about half of the full glacial-to-interglacial warming.

So, in summary, the lag of CO2 behind temperature doesn’t tell us much about global warming. [But it may give us a very interesting clue about why CO2 rises at the ends of ice ages. The 800-year lag is about the amount of time required to flush out the deep ocean through natural ocean currents. So CO2 might be stored in the deep ocean during ice ages, and then get released when the climate warms.]
...}

What I am saying is that obviously when plants are too successful, they cause their own demise by cooling off the planet.
This is a 110,000 year long cycle, so it is not something that happens over night.
It is well known.
Have you never seen the dozen or more ice age cycles and interglacial warming periods?

ice_ages2.gif

You should have said that instead of saying dead, frozen plants give up all their CO2.

Right, you made poor assumptions about that statement and missed the context.

Really now. SO tell us what happened to the oxygen in the atmosphere in Venus. You are the one that made that claim, not me.

As I said, you are just randomly spinning in circles, and do not actually have any kind of logical thread at all. Yet, somehow it is my fault. And you still have not explained what happened to the oxygen.

SO tell us what happened to the oxygen in the atmosphere in Venus.
Why? Is your google broken, again?

My only point was that more of our atmosphere's current oxygen would end up bound up in CO2. It's not as if anyone was suggesting it would disappear.

That's twice I have had to explain this to you.

My only point was that more of our atmosphere's current oxygen would end up bound up in CO2. It's not as if anyone was suggesting it would disappear.

Then why did you ask about Venus? What does Venus have to do with any of that? You are the one that brought that up, not me.

And still, that is not how it works. What, somehow oxygen just magically bonds with carbon through... magic?

YOu keep making all these claims, which have nothing to do with anything and not actually even trying to explain any of it.

Forum List

Back