The point of no return

It is where I live, where I chose purposely to live. You can do a similar search for where you live also. If you choose to be upset or highly apprehensive of how climate is affecting or going to affect you, knock yourself out. I did not choose to live in the desert southwest, or the mountains or on the shores of one of the ocean. I am living in the fertile rolling low hills of the mid-latitudes, with lots of water, good average rainfall, and nobody asking me to give up either of my SUVs for an electric car, 99.97% history of smooth continuous power at relatively low rates. Check the dots on that graph of days over a 100 degrees here (going back to 1900), I posted on post #11 and tell me why I should worry, realizing I turn 68 in a few days. Do you think it is going to affect me? I doubt it.

It snows in Tennessee ... you choose to live where it snows? ...

... with lots of water, good average rainfall ...

Yeah ... exact reasons I'm in North Jefferson (Western Oregon) ... a 5 gallon bucket will fill in a month, every month, all winter long ...

It snows in Tennessee ... you choose to live where it snows? ...

... with lots of water, good average rainfall ...

Yeah ... exact reasons I'm in North Jefferson (Western Oregon) ... a 5 gallon bucket will fill in a month, every month, all winter long ...
It doesn't snow enough. I ski in Colorado and Utah.
Yes. Have heard about you guys. Cosby used to do a bit bout it raining sometime on average about 365 days a year and if the sun shined you cut a calf and made burnt offerings wondering why is our town bad. :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Annoying, ignorant 19 year olds are in much less demand than annoying, ignorant 16 year olds.
Maybe at 19, with her looks, she is too darned energy compliant to be interesting or in demand.

It doesn't snow enough. I ski in Colorado and Utah.
Yes. Have heard about you guys. Cosby used to do a bit bout it raining sometime on average about 365 days a year and if the sun shined you cut a calf and made burnt offerings wondering why is our town bad. :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

More people own boats than air conditioners ...

More people own boats than air conditioners ...
So, I take it most of the time, most of your rivers are not like today. Lots of challenging water, but at the moment more challenging as hiking.
1662766922816.png

We have passed the point of no return and can expect a future in which lethal heatwaves and temperatures in excess of 50C (120F) are common in the tropics; where summers at temperate latitudes will invariably be baking hot, and where our oceans are destined to become warm and acidic, according to Bill McGuire, emeritus professor of geophysical and climate hazards at University College London.

He said, “I know a lot of people working in climate science who say one thing in public but a very different thing in private. In confidence, they are all much more scared about the future we face, but they won’t admit that in public. I call this climate appeasement and I believe it only makes things worse. The world needs to know how bad things are going to get before we can hope to start to tackle the crisis.”

‘Soon it will be unrecognisable’: total climate meltdown cannot be stopped, says expert

Have you ever see the weather from the past 400,000 years?
Literally the world gets this hot every 100,000 years or so, then gets colder, much colder.

1662767806442.png

In reality it's following normal procedure. To suggest this is past the point of return, suggests we have any control over this. That would be very, very difficult to prove.

So, I take it most of the time, most of your rivers are not like today. Lots of challenging water, but at the moment more challenging as hiking.
View attachment 694138

Oh no ... that's very typical for the end of dry season ... ground water pressure is at it's least right now, so all the springs and artesian wells are at their lowest flow rate of the year ...

Tennessee is in the "Sub-tropical Humid" climate zone; which means (in part) your rainfall occurs throughout the year ... The West is in the "Mediterranean" climate zone; which has a distinct dry season during summer where we get less than 1% of our rainfall ... if any at all ... the sprinkle on July 2nd was the last rain we've had ...

All the eight to twelve feet of rain we average comes during fall, winter and spring ...

Oh no ... that's very typical for the end of dry season ... ground water pressure is at it's least right now, so all the springs and artesian wells are at their lowest flow rate of the year ...

Tennessee is in the "Sub-tropical Humid" climate zone; which means (in part) your rainfall occurs throughout the year ... The West is in the "Mediterranean" climate zone; which has a distinct dry season during summer where we get less than 1% of our rainfall ... if any at all ... the sprinkle on July 2nd was the last rain we've had ...

All the eight to twelve feet of rain we average comes during fall, winter and spring ...
Actually I was somewhat aware, and pulled up your river inventory knowing what I would find. I understand you are in your fire season, also.
We average 4 to 5 feet or so across the state. Our river list is not impressiver right now either, unless you are looking for something low and slow.
1662769531677.png

Actually I was somewhat aware, and pulled up your river inventory knowing what I would find. I understand you are in your fire season, also.
We average 4 to 5 feet or so across the state. Our river list is not impressiver right now either, unless you are looking for something low and slow.
View attachment 694153

I like drinking the tap water ... better and cleaner than bottled water ... the city won't let the water bottling plant use the water from the aqueduct that runs up to the springs ... so the plant just pumps the water out of the river right there in town ... ewww ... full of fish pee ... it's disgusting ...

I like drinking the tap water ... better and cleaner than bottled water ... the city won't let the water bottling plant use the water from the aqueduct that runs up to the springs ... so the plant just pumps the water out of the river right there in town ... ewww ... full of fish pee ... it's disgusting ...
Ewww.
We are near the edge of a sand aquifer that is huge running almost from the Tennessee River, west under the Mississippi River before turning toward northern Arkansas and a region riddle with underground streams probably from all the way up north of the Ozarks, into Missouri. One of the largest natural springs on the planet called Mammoth Springs is in that northern region of that state. The water pumped from the ground in Jackson is some of the purest in the country after flowing from literally thousands of square miles of natural sand filtration. You are correct, that we get a third to half as much rainfall, but this has been a typical year, where I only actually had to add water to the swimming pool once this year, since the beginning of the season (just about over) during one three or four week hot dry spell with temp on many days was mid to upper nineties. It rained today and expecting more tonight and tomorrow.

Forum List

Back