The Perfect Candidate (2019)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Its a film set in Saudi and is subtitled. I really enjoyed it. Saudi is a mysterious and forbidding place and this film does a lot to explain it to us.

Basically a young Doctor stands for the local government in a bid to improve access to the hospital she works at. It raises all of the issues you could imagine and you sense the growing frustration she feels as an educated woman in a repressive society.

She isnt allowed to fly to Dubai unless her father signs a pass for her, or address a political meeting in person.

I would like to think that the fact of the film being made is a sign that the society is moving in the right direction.

Give it a go. Its on prime or netflix.

She isnt allowed to fly to Dubai unless her father signs a pass for her, or address a political meeting in person.
In the country of Saudi Arabia a female is under the protection and custody of her husband, father, brothers, son's, or other male relatives.
It's a good system that hopefully we will someday have here in the U.S. ... :cool:

In the country of Saudi Arabia a female is under the protection and custody of her husband, father, brothers, son's, or other male relatives.
It's a good system that hopefully we will someday have here in the U.S. ... :cool:
Not so good when you want to catch a flight to a job interview.

I would like to think that the fact of the film being made is a sign that the society is moving in the right direction.
You still have that British colonial mindset.
What makes you think imitating the western ways of doing things is somehow a step in the right direction?
The Saudi people I know are happy with their culture and don't want busy bodies like you telling them what to do in their own country. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Yea tell that to the daughters of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum. Of Dubai.
The oldest was kidnapped in the UK and never seen again. Her sister made a video of her imprisonment from a toilet on a smuggled-in mobile phone which has since been detected and taken and we have never heard from her since then.
The UN must demand immediate proof that they are both still alive and also demand access otherwise what is the point of the Human Rights Charter.

You still have that British colonial mindset.
What makes you think imitating the western ways of doing things is somehow a step in the right direction?
The Saudi people I know are happy with their culture and don't want busy bodies like you telling them what to do in their own country. ... :cool:
I will have to give that some thought. But nevertheless, Saudi laws restrict freedom for women and some are frustrated by it. They should be free to come and go as they please. Thats pretty basic.

Thats odd. Its free over here. Click on the free to watch button.
I watch Prime free video's all the time.
This movie here in the US isn't free.
They want you to rent it or buy it.
I double checked. ... :cool:
Thats a shame. It will deter people from watching it. I doubt that I would have paid cash to watch a film about a Saudi election. No sex or car chases in a strange language !!

I will have to give that some thought. But nevertheless, Saudi laws restrict freedom for women and some are frustrated by it. They should be free to come and go as they please. Thats pretty basic.
Unfortunately that's the problem with so many Prime movies. You search for it, find get ready to watch, you click watch, and Amazon wants 3,4, or 5 dollars to rent it.

Forum List

Back