The party of Small Govt is at it again....in Florida this time

What are the explicit enumerated powers of a city government?

Also, there is no specific time requirement in the law, just that water and shade has to be provided. That you need to lie about the law says much about you.

It depends on the State in question, and the home rule provisions of said State.

Power in a State flows up from the people to the State government, then back down from the State government to the various local divisions. In New York it's County, then Town, then any further subdivisions, with cities being special cases.

It depends on the State in question, and the home rule provisions of said State.

Power in a State flows up from the people to the State government, then back down from the State government to the various local divisions. In New York it's County, then Town, then any further subdivisions, with cities being special cases.

Florida Home Rule ..... The state Constitution recognizes that cities may enact their own ordinances and self-govern – so long as the city's law does not conflict with the state and federal law.

How did this law conflict with a state law?

Florida Home Rule ..... The state Constitution recognizes that cities may enact their own ordinances and self-govern – so long as the city's law does not conflict with the state and federal law.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/12/1244...t-protections-for-workers-right-before-summer

They passed a law saying the State has the power to regulate this issue.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a law that prevents cities or counties from creating protections for workers who labor in the state's often extreme and dangerous heat.

it was a simple question. yet you cannot answer it.

It is not about what I want, it is about what I believe should be allowed.

I am against minimum wage laws on any level outside of the local city level. I would not vote for one in my city, but I do not think it is wrong for a city to impose one if the people of the city voted for it.

I believe the people at the lowest level, i.e. the city, should be able to make pretty much any rule that does not directly violate the state or Fed constitution. If people do not like it, they can move to a different city. Hell, we did that. We did not like some of the new laws our previous city had passed and we moved a whole 7 miles south and are now not subject to them.

hahaha….dude, your thread and every one of your posts within it are statist to the nth degree.
A real freedom fighter of a governor overrides totalitarian local governments, extends more freedom to the private sector and somehow that pisses off a self proclaimed anti statist like yourself? WTF?
Something smells like fish here….Did you accidentally expose yourself again?

Of course an employer can regulate breaks, do you think the cashiers at WalMart all just go on break whenever they want?
Well, if they go to TV camera surveillance rooms to make fun of customers, they can regulate breaks.

There are state and federal laws for most everything, by this logic there is no reason at all to even have city and county governments.

Being the proponent of big Govt you are you are unable see the benefit of governing being done at the lowest level possible where the people have the most power and control.

I think civilian oversight boards are a good thing, the idea of letting police police themselves normally does not work out well.

First, stop trying to attribute things to me I didn't say. Many thing are better addressed at the local level, others not so much. It was local officials that brought the regulations to the States attention. Did you not bother to read that? And it's fine to have civilian review boards to make recommendations to police depts, but they can't have the power to make personnel decisions for the dept. Also having the requirement for a retired officer on the board is a good thing, so they can draw from their experience.

hahaha….dude, your thread and every one of your posts within it are statist to the nth degree.
A real freedom fighter of a governor overrides totalitarian local governments, extends more freedom to the private sector and somehow that pisses off a self proclaimed anti statist like yourself? WTF?
Something smells like fish here….Did you accidentally expose yourself again?

Nope, I did not. you are just a fucking moron that does not understand anything other than big government ruling all things

Many thing are better addressed at the local level, others not so much. It was local officials that brought the regulations to the States attention. Did you not bother to read that?

Yep, the big business lobby was hard at work on this one. The very idea of offering shade and water is beyond their scope.

And it's fine to have civilian review boards to make recommendations to police depts, but they can't have the power to make personnel decisions for the dept.

They should be able to make recommendations.

Also having the requirement for a retired officer on the board is a good thing, so they can draw from their experience.

100% agree.

A bill signed Thursday bans local governments from requiring heat and water breaks for outdoor workers. And a bill DeSantis signed Friday strips local citizen police oversight boards from investigating officers.

So, via two bills the party of small Govt took away freedoms from smaller Govt and put all the power at the state level.

First off, why the fuck would anyone fight against mandatory water breaks in fucking Florida of all places. It is just not a good look.

But that aside, actual conservatives think that governing should be done at the lowest possible level. The state removing power from smaller governments is the opposite of conservatism.
??? How is removing gvt. restrictions not smaller gvt.?

Yes, they did. That is what I am complaining about. They are moving governing to a higher level where the people have less power. It what what you people live to do

They are following the State Constitution. The State legislature has decided the issue should be handled State-wide, in agreement with the State Constitution.

You know Republicans OP, dishonest at their core.

DeSantis couldn't win a race for dog-catcher at this point.
Dude, he beat the democrat by 20 points. Highest margin in forty years.

??? How is removing gvt. restrictions not smaller gvt.?

Smaller Govt is things being governed from the lowest level possible so that the people have the most power and influence.

They are following the State Constitution. The State legislature has decided the issue should be handled State-wide, in agreement with the State Constitution.

I did not say they were not, just because they can do this does not mean they should.

There was no conflict with state laws until they passed a new law to make the conflict, and they did so due to the lobby of big business owning the state level politicians

Smaller Govt is things being governed from the lowest level possible so that the people have the most power and influence.
You have a very bizarre interpretation of small gvt.

SO if your town council gvt passes an ordinance requiring everyone must wear white socks whenever they are in public, or face 30 days in jail, you consider that "small" gvt. LOL

I did not say they were not, just because they can do this does not mean they should.

There was no conflict with state laws until they passed a new law to make the conflict, and they did so due to the lobby of big business owning the state level politicians

Sooner or later OSHA will come out with these Standards, as will the State themselves, or they will just follow OSHA.

Having a hodgepodge of local regulations, when construction except for permits is regulated at the State and Federal levels is just an invitation to frivolous lawsuits.

Sooner or later OSHA will come out with these Standards, as will the State themselves, or they will just follow OSHA.

OSHA puts out national standards.

Do you think that Alaska and Florida need the same standards for this sort of thing?

Having a hodgepodge of local regulations, when construction except for permits is regulated at the State and Federal levels is just an invitation to frivolous lawsuits.

Yep, that is the argument that the lobby used.

You have a very bizarre interpretation of small gvt.

SO if your town council gvt passes an ordinance requiring everyone must wear white socks whenever they are in public, or face 30 days in jail, you consider that "small" gvt. LOL

If the people of the city voted for it, then yes. if the town council did it against the will of the the people could then react and remove the council and the ordinance. A single person can make a difference on a town level. At the town level the individual has power and influence. This is where the majority of governing should happen.

Yep, the big business lobby was hard at work on this one. The very idea of offering shade and water is beyond their scope.

They should be able to make recommendations.

100% agree.

So exactly how do you proved a roofer shade? And how did these workers survive before the county got involved. From what I can see it was a regulation in search of a problem. More than likely just commiecrats trying to justify their existence. Also I see we agree on the oversight boards.

OSHA puts out national standards.

Do you think that Alaska and Florida need the same standards for this sort of thing?

Yep, that is the argument that the lobby used.

You keep mentioning a lobby, your link doesn't support that assertion. Sounds like you just pulled that out of your ass.

Forum List

Back