The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

" Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great. "

- Alexis de Tocqueville

Whatever labored, embarrassing arguments one can make for the nuking of Hiroshima cannot be made for the nuking of Nagasaki just three days later. From my article "Did We Really Need to Use the Atomic Bomb Against Japan?":

On August 9, 1945, just three days after we nuked Hiroshima, and before Japan’s leaders had sufficient time to process and respond to our nuclear attack on Hiroshima, we dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki, which was home to Japan’s largest Christian population. The atomic bombing of Nagasaki was even more inexcusable than the nuking of Hiroshima. . . .​
On August 9, we nuked Nagasaki, just three days after Hiroshima, and hours after the Soviets began to maul the Japanese army in Manchuria,, and while Japan’s civilian leaders were understandably absorbed with trying to process what had happened to Hiroshima and with responding to the Soviet attack in Manchuria. Surely Truman and other high officials knew that three days was not enough time for Japan’s government to formulate a formal response to the unprecedented use of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and to the Soviet invasion in Manchuria. Even McGeorge Bundy, who helped Henry Stimson write his defense of the atomic bombing of Japan, acknowledged that Truman was too quick to nuke Nagasaki:​

"It is hard to see that much could have been lost if there had been more time between the two bombs. . . . Such a delay would have been relatively easy, and I think right." (https://miketgriffith.com/files/immoraluse.pdf)​
The Japanese were not even able to get a scientific team to Hiroshima until August 7, the day after the attack. Meanwhile, Japan's leaders were getting conflicting, fragmentary information about what had happened in Hiroshima. Some Army officials were telling the government that the bombing of Hiroshima was merely a very large conventional bombing raid, and they were suppressing information about the kinds of wounds that had been inflicted. There was no Internet back then, no fax machines, no Skype.

Surely it was obscene for us to nuke Nagasaki just three days, 72 hours, after we had nuked Hiroshima.
Congratulations on your website

while its not a crazy idea some people have about dropping nukes on japan as a war crime I think you are wrong

the japanese people were fanatical and millions would have died during a US invasion

also you wrote this:

While FDR bent over backwards to befriend the Soviet Union’s brutal, murderous Marxist regime, he showed no such flexibility toward anti-communist Japan. The Japanese offered a wide range of concessions in an effort to get FDR to lift the sanctions, but Roosevelt, perhaps influenced by his pro-Soviet advisers, would not even meet with Japan’s prime minister to discuss the matter.
FDR could have made Japan our ally, and he probably could have persuaded Japan to invade the Soviet Union, which would have almost certainly led to Russia’s defeat and would have spared hundreds of millions of people from Soviet tyranny. The Japanese were seriously considering invading Russia before they concluded that Roosevelt was not interested in a reasonable peace deal and that he was determined to strangle Japan’s economy to the point of collapse. They decided to attack Pearl Harbor only after FDR rejected every peace offer they made to try to get the sanctions lifted, and after FDR refused, on admittedly flimsy grounds, to meet with their prime minister to discuss their differences (Hoover 263-320).

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

i reject the idea that FDR could have or should have allied with japan in a war against the soviet union when nazi germany was the greater threat

Lets see here, Japan bombed innocent Chinese and Korean civilians and raped and robbed and otherwise and terrorized them for years. Lets see, Japan's aggression was being boycotted by America with oil embargo to Japan. Japan, in turn, attacked Pearl Harbor in response. They got nuked 4 years later...because they deserved it. Karma.

Sorry, but Japan isn't the victim here. To be nice, they deserved the A bomb. They brought it on themselves. With the Nanjing atrocities and Pearl Harbor and everything else, they aren't exactly poor witto victims, are they?
So you think every Japanese citizen was complicit in attacking Peal Harbor? I guess if you have managed to convince yourself of that it makes it easier to look the other way on killing thousands of civilians.

So you think every Japanese citizen was complicit in attacking Peal Harbor? I guess if you have managed to convince yourself of that it makes it easier to look the other way on killing thousands of civilians.
Have you managed to convince yourself that it somehow more immoral to be killed by a nuke than a bayonet? Dead is dead and none of the participants in WWII was especially concerned about killing "innocent civilians". Japan treated enemy civilians with special brutality and earned what they got. Some folks just seem to search for any excuse to slam my country. Doesn't make me very happy.

However you cut it...we are the only nation to use nukes on civilians. We have no moral high ground here.
We have all the moral high crime babe...both were Military Targets fool. One was a massive shipping port where military supplies where ship around from and the other was the headquarters of their army. Tired of the fucking lies told about the not so innocent two cities.

Bombing their ass ended the war saving millions on both sides---------The japanese then were nasty fucking people who took delight in murdering others---they would have fought to the very last man woman and child to obtain power if not soundly beaten and bombed into submission.

The japanese then were nasty fucking people who took delight in murdering others---they would have fought to the very last man woman and child to obtain power if not soundly beaten and bombed into submission.

Most people today can not even comprehend what the early Showa period was like in Japan.

And those that believe that Japan without the bombs would have simply surrendered, I say they are idiots. And only have to look at Saipan and Okinawa to see that is a pure lie.

Most Westerners can not even begin to comprehend how fanatical that nation was. We are literally talking about a nation that believed it was the most powerful nation on the planet, and that no nation could ever withstand their might. An extreme arrogance of "Racial Might" that makes even the NAZI Germans seem like children. Of a people and culture that literally belong even to this day to an empire, which can trace their single dynasty unbroken literally into Biblical times.

Because they literally trace their single Imperial Dynasty that far back. And when Emperor Jimmu took the throne, Hezekiah was the 13th King of Judah, and the events in Kings, Isaiah, and Chronicles were still ongoing. Romulus had only died a few decades before, after taking kingship after killing his brother Remus. Most Westerners can not even begin to comprehend what their culture is like, with a single dynasty over 2,700 years old.

Nor do they understand how long Japan had prepared to enter the war. Their attack on the US was planned months before the embargo was even considered. Because they intended to conquer all of the Western Pacific, and knew that to do so they would have to defeat the US.

I agree
There was no need to attack a second city so soon. Japan should have been told we have dozens of more bombs and were prepared to use them.

While Hiroshima could be justified (did we need to demonstrate on such a populated target?). Nagasaki was not necessary

America didn't have dozens more bombs however in August 1945.

The problem with lying is the fact that the Empire of Japan might have known the truth and it would have destroyed American credibility.

Remember there were Americans spying for our enemies back then, people like Julius & Ethel.

Congratulations on your website

while its not a crazy idea some people have about dropping nukes on japan as a war crime I think you are wrong

the japanese people were fanatical and millions would have died during a US invasion

also you wrote this:

While FDR bent over backwards to befriend the Soviet Union’s brutal, murderous Marxist regime, he showed no such flexibility toward anti-communist Japan. The Japanese offered a wide range of concessions in an effort to get FDR to lift the sanctions, but Roosevelt, perhaps influenced by his pro-Soviet advisers, would not even meet with Japan’s prime minister to discuss the matter.
FDR could have made Japan our ally, and he probably could have persuaded Japan to invade the Soviet Union, which would have almost certainly led to Russia’s defeat and would have spared hundreds of millions of people from Soviet tyranny. The Japanese were seriously considering invading Russia before they concluded that Roosevelt was not interested in a reasonable peace deal and that he was determined to strangle Japan’s economy to the point of collapse. They decided to attack Pearl Harbor only after FDR rejected every peace offer they made to try to get the sanctions lifted, and after FDR refused, on admittedly flimsy grounds, to meet with their prime minister to discuss their differences (Hoover 263-320).

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

i reject the idea that FDR could have or should have allied with japan in a war against the soviet union when nazi germany was the greater threat

Economic sanctions are a serious matter. If FDR had deescalated our conflict with Japan and Japan had attacked the Soviet Union, I don't know that that would have seriously hampered their war effort against the Germans.

Yes, it would have been wrong to divert resources from war with Nazi Germany to help the Japanese Empire.

But Imperialists and Commies killing each other in Manchuria and Siberia, might not have been a bad thing for America.

Conventional bombs are more discriminating than nuclear bombs? I don't think so.
Okay great, but i dont totally agree (regular bombs can still be more discriminate), and you compared bayonets and nukes. Obviously we recognize a scale of our methods and weaponry. Else we would just drop a nuke every time we were annoyed with a nonnuclear state.

During WW2, America bombed a lot of civilians both in the Empire of Japan- including long before Hiroshima as well as in Germany.

And the axis did the same kind of thing too.

It was just part of the war- the fact that new technology- the A-bomb- was used isn't particularly shameful. The Axis used the equally new V2 missile technology to attack the Allies civilians during the same conflict. Has Merkel apologized for that?

Forum List

Back