The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

Further, the 'it would have saved millions' canard started out far less in #'s, grew due to historic revisionists who supported Truman , as opposed to all his generals
Without the atomic bomb an invasion would be necessary and even more japanese would have died

Speculation to hide behind.
Why are we discussing morality of the 1940s? Seems crazy.

The 1940s was not so long ago. People still understood morality in the 1940s.
Blacks weren’t allowed in MLB until 1947 and it wasn’t easy. To me, the 40s is ancient history

Further, the 'it would have saved millions' canard started out far less in #'s, grew due to historic revisionists who supported Truman , as opposed to all his generals
Without the atomic bomb an invasion would be necessary and even more japanese would have died

Blacks weren’t allowed in MLB until 1947 and it wasn’t easy. To me, the 40s is ancient history
When there are people from that time still around, it isn't ancient history. It certainly isn't an era lost to the misty shroud of time such that morality was unknown to people of that forgotten epoch.

When there are people from that time still around, it isn't ancient history. It certainly isn't an era lost to the misty shroud of time such that morality was unknown to people of that forgotten epoch.
Very few are still around. It’s ancient history.

If you want to get technical about it, that is nowhere near "ancient history."

If you want to get technical about it, that is nowhere near "ancient history."
Hyperbole by me but you know what I mean. The world is a much different place now. We should learn from it but not overly criticize it.

... The world is a much different place now. ...

How so, relative to the topic at hand?
We just have a lot more knowledge and easier communication skills.

If they had our knowledge and communication skills and technology, how do you think that would have affected decisions related to the war?
There likely would not have been a war with Japan. Holocaust would have likely not happened either.

War is a dirty brutal business

the japanese are lucky that we dropped the bomb instead of invading

Do you still think the attack on the US military base at Pearl Harbor was an "invasion"? You never did address that claim of yours.
Do you still think Japan did not Invade the US? You still haven't answered that question.

... The world is a much different place now. ...

How so, relative to the topic at hand?
We just have a lot more knowledge and easier communication skills.

If they had our knowledge and communication skills and technology, how do you think that would have affected decisions related to the war?
There likely would not have been a war with Japan. Holocaust would have likely not happened either.

Interesting. How would the questions of blocking Japanese access to gulf oil and Japan's Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere plan have been prevented? How would global knowledge of Hitler's machinations have stopped his genocidal schemes? I'd like to think you're right, but am curious as to the details.

The idea behind war is to quickly and completely defeat your enemy with the minimal loss of your own troops.

I'd say those nukes did that well.

Do you still think the attack on the US military base at Pearl Harbor was an "invasion"? You never did address that claim of yours.
I never called the bombing of Pearl Harbor an invasion

but if you need a japanese invasion of IS territory for justification try Wake Island

Forum List

Back