The Myth of Border Security, the Reality of Retribution

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Given the Illegal Immigration is a hot topic in political debate, it comes as a wonder to me how Obama can claim to say "the border is secure." There are accusations now that suggest that the DHS is forging statistics which supposedly support the "secure border" claim. According Chris Cabrera, vice president of The National Border Patrol Council who testified to the Senate Homeland Security Committee yesterday:

"I want to be crystal clear – the border is not secure ... Ask any line agent in the field and he or she will tell you that at best we apprehend 35 to 40 percent of the illegal immigrants attempting to cross. This number is even lower for drug smugglers who are much more adept at eluding capture."

On top of everything else, anyone attempting to report groups of illegals attempting to cross which exceed 20, agents are punished by being taken off the field or reassigned:

"Agents who repeatedly report groups larger than 20 face retribution,” he said. “Management will either take them out of the field and assign them to processing detainees at the station or assign them to a fixed position in low volume areas as punishment.”

“Needless to say agents got the message and now stay below this 20 person threshold no matter the actual size of the group."

Now, do you really believe our border is secure?

No "border" in the world is completely "secure". It's an impossible fantasy.

As to Mr. Cabrera's comments - you do realize that he's the head of a public employee labor union that directly benefits from scaring people about illegal immigration?

Do you take everything that Randi Weingarten says about education in this country as fact?

As to Mr. Cabrera's comments - you do realize that he's the head of a public employee labor union that directly benefits from scaring people about illegal immigration?

Do you take everything that Randi Weingarten says about education in this country as fact?

I haven't heard of anyone crossing the Korean border, have you?

The National Border Patrol Council is an arm of the AFL-CIO.

"Agents who repeatedly report groups larger than 20 face retribution,” he said. “Management will either take them out of the field and assign them to processing detainees at the station or assign them to a fixed position in low volume areas as punishment.”

A very serious accusation for which I would like to see hard evidence.

I have. Quite a few, actually.

Some 50,000 North Koreans, and possibly many more, are hiding in China, most in cities and villages along the remote 900-mile-long border between the two countries. Uncounted others have come for a few months and then slipped back to North Korea with food and money. Yet many stay on, unable or unwilling to return to their cruel homeland.
Escaping North Korea National Geographic Magazine

Yeah, actually. It happens all the time, just not through the DMZ.

But that's still entirely irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Exactly. The xenophobes want us to be North Korea.

Always the contrary aren't you? Just how is he scaring people about illegal immigration? I find such a suggestion ludicrous. Of all the industrialized nations in the world, I believe the United States has the worst means of enforcing border security. I could be wrong, though.

Be reminded, no border is completely insecure either. More effort goes into enforcement than it does elsewhere.

Last edited:

Either a border is "completely 'secure'" or don't bother, got it

Preposterous.

Yes.

The Chosun Ilbo English Edition Daily News from Korea - Korea Struggles with Crimes by Illegal Aliens

The Chosun Ilbo English Edition Daily News from Korea - Korea Struggles with Crimes by Illegal Aliens

Last edited:
While it's impossible to totally secure any border, the fact is we don't try real hard.

The big reason people sneak in isn't because of the fact that it's fairly easy, it's because there are rewards waiting for them on the other side. If there was nothing to be gained by sneaking in illegally, few would bother.

Obama has sweetened the pot at the end of the border crossing, so naturally there was a sharp increase in the number of people coming in. It's one thing to lie about the border being secure. It's another to encourage people to take advantage of us by promising them goodies, courtesy of hard working citizens.

I have. Quite a few, actually.

Some 50,000 North Koreans, and possibly many more, are hiding in China, most in cities and villages along the remote 900-mile-long border between the two countries. Uncounted others have come for a few months and then slipped back to North Korea with food and money. Yet many stay on, unable or unwilling to return to their cruel homeland.
Escaping North Korea National Geographic Magazine

I'm talking about the border between North Korea and South Korea.

they go through china and thailand.

Hmmm, no. North Korea's policy is to keep people in, not to keep foriegners out. Most of the countries in the World have the later policy.

Forum List

Back