The must see Christmas movies

I like the Mr Magoo version

1669945671018.jpeg

H'wood made a couple of "Scrooge" aka "A Christmas Carol" movies but for my money the best one is the Alister Sim version. It's a Wonderful Life James Stewart i=comes in second.
Yes It's a Wonderful Life but George C Scott..... or it aint Christmas

1669952521818.png

We watch A Christmas Story every year, without fail. For decades now.
Same here.
It is THE Christmas movie.
We also always watch George C Scott Christmas Carol.
A new one that is actually pretty good is "The man who invented Christmas" - the story of Charles Dickens self-tortious writing of Christmas Carol.
Another must for us is "Trailer Park Boys Christmas"... unconventional to say the least. But awesome.

Anyone know of some good romantic comedies for Christmas watching, something like Love Actually, Notting Hill, or The Apartment.

We always watch Its a Wonderful Life as well.

In all honesty, It’s a Wonderful Life is not a Christmas movie.
Just the last scene takes place at Christmas time

Most of the movie is about George Baileys life, little of the movie actually has to do with Christmas.
Even the last segment is more about celebrating Harry Baileys Medal of Honor, not celebrating Christmas

When the movie was released, it was released in July not Christmas

In all honesty, It’s a Wonderful Life is not a Christmas movie.
Just the last scene takes place at Christmas time

Most of the movie is about George Baileys life, little of the movie actually has to do with Christmas.
Even the last segment is more about celebrating Harry Baileys Medal of Honor, not celebrating Christmas

When the movie was released, it was released in July not Christmas
never knew that... maybe that is why it bombed back then, the movie was set in the winter.

I second this! That man is missed!

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. I watch it on Christmas Eve night. :) :) :)

People may mock Ernest Saves Christmas

But compared to a lot of the crap that gets put out as Christmas movies, it is not that bad

I used to watch it with my kids

uh... Hallmark makes 10,000 of them :D
Edit: well.... you said good...so... never mind that
Hallmark stuff is pleasant and sweet. Unfortunately the comedy is often not very funny and romances are often really corny.

Good romantic comedies require good direction and a good script and they can be some of the hardest movies to make.

Take a look at the last scene from The Apartment. It ran only about 25 seconds but Billy Wilder, the director spent 4 hrs. getting it right. In the original script, Wilder had Jack Lemon and Shirley MacLaine sitting down to play cards. Jack tells Shirley he loves her and then the big kiss and the end. That could have been a good ending for many a Hallmark movie but not for director Billy Wider. Look how he changed the scene and how effective it is. After Jack says, "I absolutely adore you" Wilder has Shirley pause a couple of seconds before saying "Shut up and deal" followed by a very knowing smile. That's good movie making.

Last edited:
the muppets christmas carol....seems as i age i forget what was in the movies i loved as a child....white christmas has a war scene opening....then i put on its a wonderful life...and the guy slaps the kid around....had both kids shouting at me....

i dont watch crap with kids anymore

Forum List

Back