The Left are the New Puritans

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
It's very bizarre and ironic. In the 1960s, the campus of Berkeley became known as "The Birthplace of Free Speech" as various anti-war and civil libertarian speakers converged there to protest against "The Establishment." Today, we have violent student protests on the same campus against Milo Yiannopoulos because of his unorthodox speech which challenges the social justice warrior message. Across the country, at NYU, students violently protest and shut down a scheduled speech from Gavin McInnes on the same basic premise.

Leftists took to the airwaves to defend their protests claiming that "some speech is just TOO extreme to be allowed!" Seriously.... that IS their literal argument. Meanwhile, Black Lives Matter activists can march in the streets calling for death to police officers and that's alright. Today, some wackadoodle pro-abortion professor called for "raping pro-life women" on campus and that's okay as well. Those examples of "free speech" aren't met with any consternation from the left and I can imagine if anyone on the right threatened to silence their voices, the left would collectively begin to give birth to cattle while standing on their ears.

Let's understand something here and now... Speech that isn't offensive or inflammatory doesn't need protecting. The very purpose and reason for freedom of speech is to protect speech that may be unpopular. We don't require protection for speech that isn't offensive or objectionable to anyone. Unless a speaker is specifically inciting violent acts (which an argument can be made is the case with the two examples I cited from the left) then it is clearly protected free speech.

But this whole thing goes way further than free speech. In every aspect coming from the left, there is this authoritarian tone which simply doesn't allow dissent in any form. From Climate Change to Nationalized Health Care... From Gay Marriage to Abortion... we're told "the debate is over!" Anyone who dares to speak out against these things is attacked, even physically, and it is repeatedly being justified. Black conservatives are called horrible awful names for standing on conservative principles. Women are castigated and eviscerated for not towing the leftist line on so-called "women's rights" or just basically having a different opinion.

It's crazy as hell that the Left in America have become the New Puritans. They want to dictate what we think, what we can say, what is acceptable and what is not. Any deviation is met with violent reaction and must be silenced. It's akin to a cult-like religion and these people are radical fanatics who are becoming bolder by the day.

BUT even the original Puritans were smart enough to figure out that they needed their guns.

It's very bizarre and ironic. In the 1960s, the campus of Berkeley became known as "The Birthplace of Free Speech" as various anti-war and civil libertarian speakers converged there to protest against "The Establishment." Today, we have violent student protests on the same campus against Milo Yiannopoulos because of his unorthodox speech which challenges the social justice warrior message. Across the country, at NYU, students violently protest and shut down a scheduled speech from Gavin McInnes on the same basic premise.

Leftists took to the airwaves to defend their protests claiming that "some speech is just TOO extreme to be allowed!" Seriously.... that IS their literal argument. Meanwhile, Black Lives Matter activists can march in the streets calling for death to police officers and that's alright. Today, some wackadoodle pro-abortion professor called for "raping pro-life women" on campus and that's okay as well. Those examples of "free speech" aren't met with any consternation from the left and I can imagine if anyone on the right threatened to silence their voices, the left would collectively begin to give birth to cattle while standing on their ears.

Let's understand something here and now... Speech that isn't offensive or inflammatory doesn't need protecting. The very purpose and reason for freedom of speech is to protect speech that may be unpopular. We don't require protection for speech that isn't offensive or objectionable to anyone. Unless a speaker is specifically inciting violent acts (which an argument can be made is the case with the two examples I cited from the left) then it is clearly protected free speech.

But this whole thing goes way further than free speech. In every aspect coming from the left, there is this authoritarian tone which simply doesn't allow dissent in any form. From Climate Change to Nationalized Health Care... From Gay Marriage to Abortion... we're told "the debate is over!" Anyone who dares to speak out against these things is attacked, even physically, and it is repeatedly being justified. Black conservatives are called horrible awful names for standing on conservative principles. Women are castigated and eviscerated for not towing the leftist line on so-called "women's rights" or just basically having a different opinion.

It's crazy as hell that the Left in America have become the New Puritans. They want to dictate what we think, what we can say, what is acceptable and what is not. Any deviation is met with violent reaction and must be silenced. It's akin to a cult-like religion and these people are radical fanatics who are becoming bolder by the day.
Maybe it is just because you don't have any friends that actually are on the left, but coming from somebody that leans left and does have a decent amount of left-leaning friends...a lot of your generalizations are just simply untrue. I'd say that less than 10% of people I've encountered agrees with the radical leftists (and keep in mind that I volunteered for a Democratic campaign this last election season, so I was knee deep in leftists) that you highlight. Most people I've met agree that absurdities like gender identity, BLM, SJWs, and neo-feminists are dangers to all of us. In fact, I think I've only met two individuals that agreed with those ideals in person.

Just like not all Trump supporters are white nationalists even though white nationalists support Trump...not all of the left are SJWs just because SJWs support leftist ideals.

Part of the problem is not addressing people and conflicts directly at the source . if we went back to resolving issues directly with each other FIRST (before trumpeting all our dirty laundry and grievances in public) we would be TOO BUSY actually doing the work to fix things ourselves ! We would not have time to complain about problems if all our energy is vested in solutions

I'm afraid you don't understand. The left, the protesters, whatever you want to call them. They didn't stop Milo from speaking. They were just protesting how disgusting he is. (See his comments on black babies and abortion) UC Berkeley decided to cancel the speech out of concerns for safety. The protesters were not calling for censorship.

I'm afraid you don't understand. The left, the protesters, whatever you want to call them. They didn't stop Milo from speaking. They were just protesting how disgusting he is. (See his comments on black babies and abortion) UC Berkeley decided to cancel the speech out of concerns for safety. The protesters were not calling for censorship.

lol. A lefty tells it straight!!

Greg

Maybe it is just because you don't have any friends that actually are on the left, but coming from somebody that leans left and does have a decent amount of left-leaning friends...a lot of your generalizations are just simply untrue. I'd say that less than 10% of people I've encountered agrees with the radical leftists (and keep in mind that I volunteered for a Democratic campaign this last election season, so I was knee deep in leftists) that you highlight. Most people I've met agree that absurdities like gender identity, BLM, SJWs, and neo-feminists are dangers to all of us. In fact, I think I've only met two individuals that agreed with those ideals in person.

Just like not all Trump supporters are white nationalists even though white nationalists support Trump...not all of the left are SJWs just because SJWs support leftist ideals.

Well, about 80% of my friends, at least, are far left of me. It has never been an issue until after this election. I have alienated several of them because they cannot tolerate me simply expressing my opinion based on the facts. We once spent entire weekends together and political topics wouldn't even come up. Now, within 20 minutes, someone is yapping about Trump and how it's the end of the world as we know it. I've had to "unfollow" many of them on my Facebook because they can't stop obsessing on Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump and I don't know if I am what you'd really call a "Trump supporter" ...he's the president and I support the president and hope he does well. So far, I don't have a lot of complaints. I think some of his appointments have been questionable, I don't like some of his statements, I've never been a big fan of some of his policies, but I don't think he's the end of the world and he's probably going to be a much better president than Hillary would've ever been.

I actually agree with my friends on many things, we just have a different perspective and approach on how to deal with the issues. I don't buy into the leftist propaganda and rhetoric but many of them do. And I can't really have a reasonable conversation with them anymore, they just become totally unhinged on me. Our dialogue goes from reasonable to Level 4 extreme with nothing more than me interjecting a fact. Suddenly, they are screaming names at me and acting like they are off their meds.

And I also understand what you're saying. Most of my leftist friends aren't actively a part of the SJW, BLM, militant resistance movement. Although, I think a few of my female lefty friends did go to Washington for the women's march. I think most of them were big Bernie Sanders supporters and they don't really like Hillary Clinton. But all that said, I think you are all kind of like the "moderate" Muslims, you better get control of your radical fringe because they're rapidly giving you a bad name. Being passively indifferent is tantamount to acceptance. And this brings me to another complaint I have with the left, you tend to support this kind of nonsense until someone steps up to challenge you on it or something terrible happens, then you deny association.

Well, about 80% of my friends, at least, are far left of me. It has never been an issue until after this election. I have alienated several of them because they cannot tolerate me simply expressing my opinion based on the facts. We once spent entire weekends together and political topics wouldn't even come up. Now, within 20 minutes, someone is yapping about Trump and how it's the end of the world as we know it. I've had to "unfollow" many of them on my Facebook because they can't stop obsessing on Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump and I don't know if I am what you'd really call a "Trump supporter" ...he's the president and I support the president and hope he does well. So far, I don't have a lot of complaints. I think some of his appointments have been questionable, I don't like some of his statements, I've never been a big fan of some of his policies, but I don't think he's the end of the world and he's probably going to be a much better president than Hillary would've ever been.

I actually agree with my friends on many things, we just have a different perspective and approach on how to deal with the issues. I don't buy into the leftist propaganda and rhetoric but many of them do. And I can't really have a reasonable conversation with them anymore, they just become totally unhinged on me. Our dialogue goes from reasonable to Level 4 extreme with nothing more than me interjecting a fact. Suddenly, they are screaming names at me and acting like they are off their meds.

And I also understand what you're saying. Most of my leftist friends aren't actively a part of the SJW, BLM, militant resistance movement. Although, I think a few of my female lefty friends did go to Washington for the women's march. I think most of them were big Bernie Sanders supporters and they don't really like Hillary Clinton. But all that said, I think you are all kind of like the "moderate" Muslims, you better get control of your radical fringe because they're rapidly giving you a bad name. Being passively indifferent is tantamount to acceptance. And this brings me to another complaint I have with the left, you tend to support this kind of nonsense until someone steps up to challenge you on it or something terrible happens, then you deny association.
Idealistically, I'm about as opposed to the SJW / BLM / neo-feminist movements as I am the radical right Trumpers...I see them as both dangers to the core values that America was built off of...freedom and equality. The freedom to have a difference of opinion and the respect to treat all men equally. Neither Trumpers nor SJWs have these values...instead they maintain more of a "if you are not with me, you are against me" mindset...which I see as toxic and tearing America apart.

So, I would have to say that I disagree with your assertion that I am indifferent to the radical left movement. However, I'm also not going to go out there and reign them in...to be frank I don't see myself as having any relation with these radicals and putting myself in danger in the middle of a bunch of crazies is not something I'm going to go out of my way to do right now...call me selfish, but I've got a lot better things to do with my time (like argue on the internet apparently).

Well when your actions cause a speech to be cancelled due to security concerns, that's called "stopping him from speaking" no matter what you claim. I don't care about his comments. He doesn't need to have comments I agree with or condone. Unless he is inciting violence or violent acts, he has freedom of speech in America. Period. End of fucking discussion.

This militant movement has now spawned a new concept called "Punch a Nazi!" Where they actually make what they believe to be a rational argument for literally physically assaulting a person based on their assumption they are Nazis. Gavin McInnes was sprayed with pepper spray for god's sake. Someone outside of Milo's event was beaten into a comma and died.

LOL.. Naw... they're not calling for censorship, they just want him to shut up!

Idealistically, I'm about as opposed to the SJW / BLM / neo-feminist movements as I am the radical right Trumpers...I see them as both dangers to the core values that America was built off of...freedom and equality. The freedom to have a difference of opinion and the respect to treat all men equally. Neither Trumpers nor SJWs have these values...instead they maintain more of a "if you are not with me, you are against me" mindset...which I see as toxic and tearing America apart.

So, I would have to say that I disagree with your assertion that I am indifferent to the radical left movement. However, I'm also not going to go out there and reign them in...to be frank I don't see myself as having any relation with these radicals and putting myself in danger in the middle of a bunch of crazies is not something I'm going to go out of my way to do right now...call me selfish, but I've got a lot better things to do with my time (like argue on the internet apparently).

All I can say is it's up to people like yourself to reject this radical element and condemn it in no uncertain terms. Otherwise, you're going to be associated with it. One of the primary reasons I couldn't vote for Trump was the association with the "white nationalist" or "alt-right" radicals, which many will associate Milo and McInnes with. I don't know if they are or not, I've listened to them but I don't really see anything that extreme coming from either of them. Yes, they reject the PC nonsense and identity labels or virtue signaling tactics of the left. I see FAR wore posted here from radical Alt-Righties. Nevertheless, everyone is entitled to speak their opinions just as I am entitled to reject their opinions and speak out against them.

I also have a lot of liberal friends and pretty much find the same as you do. In addition I'm around a lot of college kids that point out that the nuts truly are a small minority. I think something that many people find alarming is how many of these nuts are professors and are openly teaching these views in class. Fortunately more and more students are recording and video taping these people and bringing much of this to light. I heard some one say it's time to "name and shame" these idiots..

That there is some funny fascist liberal shit.....

Dear peabody
It looks like more than that.
The creator of the Dilbert cartoons even publicly stated his withdrawal of support from his Alma Mater over this Milo issue.

And isn't abortion "disgusting" anyway?
How can you say anyone's comments about abortion are any more or less "disgusting" than the procedure itself?

You remind me of how people will jump on the environmentalist for pointing out the pollution as negative.
But the pollution itself already exists; the environmentalist is just REPORTING on the existing damage.

this is blaming the messenger for the message.
when the problem is already in existence.

I do agree with you people should choose by free market whom to endorse or avoid.

What is hurtful is doing this by hate and fear while COMPLAINING that the person they are boycotting is preaching hate and fear.

If we embrace and speak the truth with love, and build bridges of understanding, inclusion of diversity should not fail and result in boycotts back and forth. We'd be too busy using free speech to make peace!!!

Otherwise it comes across as hypocritical and intellectually dishonest
to "blame the other side for the failure". At the very least it is a mutual failure.
Why can't we address this, and resolve it, if we really claim to FIGHT for diversity and inclusion?

Forum List

Back