The Left wants “common sense” restrictions to the First Amendment

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017

A legal analyst at MSNBC argued earlier this week that there is a need for “common sense” restrictions to the First Amendment to prevent “disinformation” online.

The comments from University of Michigan law professor Barbara McQuade underscore how many on the far left now view basic American Constitutional rights.

In the context of American political discourse in the age of social media, McQuade said that the country’s “deep commitment to free speech,” a cornerstone of society, is leaving people vulnerable to being misled.

While hawking a new book she has authored called “Attack from Within: How Disinformation is Sabotaging America,” McQuade told MSNBC she hoped to initiate a “national conversation about truth and our commitment to [free speech].”

Comment:
Oh the irony is ludicrous.
A MSNBC legal analyst is worried about "misinformation" LOL
ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT..... lie all of the time.
The Democrat Propaganda Machine churns out a daily deluge of lies every day.
And they want to be the fact checkers of the truth. LMAO
Censorship is a huge red flag for tyranny and an indication of a dangerous political cult.
The Democrats are incapable of introspection, which is another sign that they are a political cult.

orwellcencorship.png

While the stupidity of the average person stopped surprising me a long time ago, people have a right to determine what is "misinformation" on their own. The truth isn't always black and white and is sometimes subject to one's point of view. History also shows that when the state controls the narrative "misinformation" can become anything they don't want you to know about or agree with. Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of any free society.

A legal analyst at MSNBC argued earlier this week that there is a need for “common sense” restrictions to the First Amendment to prevent “disinformation” online.

The comments from University of Michigan law professor Barbara McQuade underscore how many on the far left now view basic American Constitutional rights.

In the context of American political discourse in the age of social media, McQuade said that the country’s “deep commitment to free speech,” a cornerstone of society, is leaving people vulnerable to being misled.

While hawking a new book she has authored called “Attack from Within: How Disinformation is Sabotaging America,” McQuade told MSNBC she hoped to initiate a “national conversation about truth and our commitment to [free speech].”

Comment:
Oh the irony is ludicrous.
A MSNBC legal analyst is worried about "misinformation" LOL
ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, WaPo, NYT..... lie all of the time.
The Democrat Propaganda Machine churns out a daily deluge of lies every day.
And they want to be the fact checkers of the truth. LMAO
Censorship is a huge red flag for tyranny and an indication of a dangerous political cult.
The Democrats are incapable of introspection, which is another sign that they are a political cult.

View attachment 910744
Let's put this one the shelf next to their "common sense" gun control

The left doesn't possess common sense.

Hardly just the left. It's spread out all across the political spectrum. I see just as many imbeciles on the right spouting out nonsense as I do on the left. The public, in general, is fairly ignorant.

While the stupidity of the average person stopped surprising me a long time ago, people have a right to determine what is "misinformation" on their own. The truth isn't always black and white and is sometimes subject to one's point of view. History also shows that when the state controls the narrative "misinformation" can become anything they don't want you to know about or agree with. Freedom of speech is the cornerstone of any free society.
The Left cares nothing about any of that.

Let's go Brandon!!!

Hardly just the left. It's spread out all across the political spectrum. I see just as many imbeciles on the right spouting out nonsense as I do on the left. The public, in general, is fairly ignorant.
Much worse on the left. Have you heard how all the leftists have been lied to about Israel committing “genocide” and the antisemitism it has created? And how leftist college presidents won’t even condemn the calls on their campuses to “Kill all Jews!”? It’s so bad now in my liberal DC suburb that my synagogue now needs to hire armed military for every service.

And you know this because you've personally committed a study with supporting scientific evidence?
There is no context in which students singing "gas the Jews" is acceptable, would you agree?

Yet, this is chanted at Left wing universities with impunity.

And no one on the Left gives a damn.

The Left, if given their way, will finish off the Jews in a second Holocaust in Israel.

The fringe elements on both sides are illogical tools. The left just has many more. Maybe because they have an oversized portion of the media backing them.

Taz,

I would normally agree with you but I have been working with marketing teams and social media on & off for the last few years and it is naive to not understand the levels of manipulation we have today with the technology...

We are coming now to the AI buddy crap who will have a full conversation with you and show you proof (which is planted by other AI buddies)... It is possible that you could be in a community of AI and real people... The AI engine creates a tribe mentality... This stuff is seriously scarey and getting harder and harder to detect....

This means if you have enough money you create movement with only money and no people...

I understand, what is the truth when this in play... I can't stress how manipulative this stuff is, it self generates and morphes from real to virtual and back... All you need is little to no morals..

No enumerated right (hey Gorsuch and Alito recognize no others yuck yuck yuck) is without exception, including the first and the second. Making a false statement to induce another to give something of value is actually a felony. Fraud.

HOWEVER, what makes the OP reasonable is that throughout the 18th and 19th, and even with Hearst and Greeley, the media has been biased and written stories with facts selectively edited to push one, or another, candidate.

The problem is that social media allows candidates and countries to formulate flat out lies, that they know are lies, and then float them out for "retweeting." So simplying having laws that allow a person to sue if they're damaged by lies is no longer any disincentive to break the law and libel anyone.

But having the govt as keeper of truth is terrifying.

Forum List

Back