The Last Picture Show

I was a teen in the 50's and I remember quite well what life was like. By today's standards, opportunities were limited for just about everyone and it may seem that people lived their lives in quiet desperation from our point view today. Social norms were rigid for everyone. Men were bread winners and women were homemakers. However, it was not uncommon for mothers to go to work when the kids were older and of course single women worked. The family structure was much different than today. Single parent families were relatively rare compared today. Families did activates together, going to movies, picnics, watching TV, etc. In general, people were more dependent on family members, neighbors, co-workers than today. I suppose if people at that time understood how limited their lives were do to social mores, they would have been pretty miserable but they didn't so for most people those were the happy days.
IMO - the happy days probably began somewhere in the 50s and ended by the 80s.
Definitely the best time to work before NAFTA, automation and corporatism outsourced everything. Fast climbing wages/benefits instead of flat wages for decades and dwindling benefits.
Starting right now - companies are beginning to take away holiday pay. YOU HEARD IT HERE... by 2026... it will be common for people to no longer get paid for holidays.
And in this time, families were still families. Neighbors knew each other, were usually friends and kids played...wait for it... actually together, literally with each other.
By the 1990s, wages were stagnate, pensions were disappearing, sick days vanished and housing costs were unconscious.

The plot was lame, the actors were no big deal so what's the draw about a depressing movie
The film is above all an evocation of mood of a town with no reason to exist, and people with no reason to live there. In this town where nothing ever happens and there is no future, it explores what it means to be a high-school athlete, of what a country dance hall is like, of the necking in cars and movie houses, and of the desolation that follows high-school graduation. This is the kind of movie that you either like or hate.

IMO - the happy days probably began somewhere in the 50s and ended by the 80s.
Definitely the best time to work before NAFTA, automation and corporatism outsourced everything. Fast climbing wages/benefits instead of flat wages for decades and dwindling benefits.
Starting right now - companies are beginning to take away holiday pay. YOU HEARD IT HERE... by 2026... it will be common for people to no longer get paid for holidays.
And in this time, families were still families. Neighbors knew each other, were usually friends and kids played...wait for it... actually together, literally with each other.
By the 1990s, wages were stagnate, pensions were disappearing, sick days vanished and housing costs were unconscious.
As the saying goes happiness is a state of mind. It is not determined by what’s happening around you, but rather what’s happening inside you. Most people depend on others to gain happiness, but the truth is, it always comes from within. It has nothing to do with NAFTA, corporatism, wages or benefits. I think the happiest man I every knew was a black gardener who worked for my grandmother 3 days a week back in the 50's. I doubt he ever earned as much as 75 cents an hour, had half dozen kids, one die in WWII and one in Korean War. He was dirt poor his whole life.

Last edited:
His best work was "Lonesome Dove" both the movie and the 4 book series.
I know. I've read "Lonesome Dove" and "Streets of Laredo". I need to get the other two. Winter's coming -- good reading time.

It's impossible to not be touched by the "Lonesome Dove" characters, especially after seeing the movie. Like "The Last Picture Show", it was beautifully cast. I wouldn't change a thing about a single one of the movie characters.

I know. I've read "Lonesome Dove" and "Streets of Laredo". I need to get the other two. Winter's coming -- good reading time.

It's impossible to not be touched by the "Lonesome Dove" characters, especially after seeing the movie. Like "The Last Picture Show", it was beautifully cast. I wouldn't change a thing about a single one of the movie characters.
I loved Robert Duvall as Gus in the mini series. There are 4 books that made up the Lonesome Dove series. They were all good. Although I liked the movie, I didn't care for the book, "The Last Picture Show". The characters were not as interesting as in the movie.

One good thing about Hollywood droning out 25 to 1 garbage films, you spend time looking at old movies.
I had seen parts of this movie a few times on regular TV, but it never really captured my attention. Perhaps due to 45 commercial interruptions.
Anyway... we watched it last night.
This is a great movie.
I had no idea it had so much nudity, that was a surprise.
It is a simple story of a couple teens growing up in a a dying small town. Sounds boring, but the quality of the writing/acting as well as a solid storyline keeps you easily interested.

Not to be missed...

This movie is Marxist trash. I had heard about it for years as a classic movie. 7 Oscar nominations. That should have been my first clue. Whatever Hollywood loves is trash.
So I watched it in its entirety last night and today. The theme is basically sexual perversion. You had sexual assault of minors, sexual assault of the mentally disabled, sex outside marriage, nudity, and vulgarity. You had a cast of perverts many of whom had multiple adulterous affairs in real life. Yes Cybill Shepherd was nice to look at, and she was why 99% of the people wanted to watch. But the movie debased any young person who saw it. And that's the Communist goal; to weaken America by destroying young people's morals.

This movie is Marxist trash. I had heard about it for years as a classic movie. 7 Oscar nominations. That should have been my first clue. Whatever Hollywood loves is trash.
So I watched it in its entirety last night and today. The theme is basically sexual perversion. You had sexual assault of minors, sexual assault of the mentally disabled, sex outside marriage, nudity, and vulgarity. You had a cast of perverts many of whom had multiple adulterous affairs in real life. Yes Cybill Shepherd was nice to look at, and she was why 99% of the people wanted to watch. But the movie debased any young person who saw it. And that's the Communist goal; to weaken America by destroying young people's morals.
Nice review from the sock contingent.

One good thing about Hollywood droning out 25 to 1 garbage films, you spend time looking at old movies.
I had seen parts of this movie a few times on regular TV, but it never really captured my attention. Perhaps due to 45 commercial interruptions.
Anyway... we watched it last night.
This is a great movie.
I had no idea it had so much nudity, that was a surprise.
It is a simple story of a couple teens growing up in a a dying small town. Sounds boring, but the quality of the writing/acting as well as a solid storyline keeps you easily interested.

Not to be missed...

It's a great movie by one our greatest directors, Peter Bogdanovich, who died recently. It's a coming age story with the backdrop of small dying Texas town. It is has been archived and often shown by Smithsonian, in the AFI top 100 movies and has won many awards. BW cinematography is perfect and Bogdanovich does a wonderfully job of picturing a piece of dying Americana. Yet this is not a movie for every. If you like movies with an upbeat ending, clear definition of the good guys and bad guys, with lots action, this movie is not for you.

It's a great movie by one our greatest directors, Peter Bogdanovich, who died recently. It's a coming age story with the backdrop of small dying Texas town. It is has been archived and often shown by Smithsonian, in the AFI top 100 movies and has won many awards. BW cinematography is perfect and Bogdanovich does a wonderfully job of picturing a piece of dying Americana. Yet this is not a movie for every. If you like movies with an upbeat ending, clear definition of the good guys and bad guys, with lots action, this movie is not for you.
Yes, we know the leftwing critics loved it. They love portrayals of sexual perversion and immorality, especially those from that era. Oscar-winning One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another prime example. So is Deliverance, The Heartbreak Kid, Love Story, Summer of '42, and the Graduate. These aren't the type of films that builds up people or add to their goodness like It's a Wonderful Life. These movies harm kids by making sexual immorality seem acceptable while demeaning religion. Today, except for Hallmark, you won't find a movie without the obligatory premarital sex scene. These Marxist social influencers in Hollywood are part of the reason people are cohabitating and aren't attending church as much these days. And it's all intentional.

Last edited:
Yes, we know the leftwing critics loved it. They love portrayals of sexual perversion and immorality, especially those from that era. Oscar-winning One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another prime example. So is Deliverance, The Heartbreak Kid, Love Story, Summer of '42, and the Graduate. These aren't the type of films that builds up people or add to their goodness like It's a Wonderful Life. These movies harm kids by making sexual immorality seem acceptable while demeaning religion. Today, except for Hallmark, you won't find a movie without the obligatory premarital sex scene. These Marxist social influencers in Hollywood are part of the reason people are cohabitating and aren't attending church as much these days. And it's all intentional.
It's gratifying to contemplate the death of Hollywood. It has been allowed to spread demonic filth and poison American youth for far too long.

This is one of my favorite movies as I've seen it multiple times. It's also ranked #95 by AFI on their "100 years, 100 movies" all time best American movie list. #94 was Pulp Fiction and #96 was Do the Right Thing to put some perspective on the ranking.

What's a bummer is that Larry McMurtry has written some fine stuff that doesn't have so much salacious garbage in it.

Forum List

Back