The Last Picture Show

The plot was lame, the actors were no big deal so what's the draw about a depressing movie?
Its a great movie, very well written and acted....young Cloris Leachman, Ben Johnson, Timothy Bottoms and young Jeff Bridges.....without cgi or spandex costumes.

Yes, we know the leftwing critics loved it. They love portrayals of sexual perversion and immorality, especially those from that era. Oscar-winning One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another prime example. So is Deliverance, The Heartbreak Kid, Love Story, Summer of '42, and the Graduate. These aren't the type of films that builds up people or add to their goodness like It's a Wonderful Life. These movies harm kids by making sexual immorality seem acceptable while demeaning religion. Today, except for Hallmark, you won't find a movie without the obligatory premarital sex scene. These Marxist social influencers in Hollywood are part of the reason people are cohabitating and aren't attending church as much these days. And it's all intentional.
I take it, you didn't see movie.

The plot was lame, the actors were no big deal so what's the draw about a depressing movie?
The Last Picture Show portrays the death of the small town and the local movie theater. Eerily, these themes and ideas are very important today with the constant threat of movie theater closures and small towns being hit by the Coronavirus.

Though 50 years have passed since the movie was released, the town of Anarene in 1951 will look familiar to anyone who’s driven through small-town America and witnessed main streets pock-marked by boarded-up businesses, never to return again. Anarene is a piece of Americana that is long gone and a warning to American about what is likely to happen to many small towns today.

The Last Picture Show was a critical and commercial success, earning 29 times it's budget and winning 8 Oscars including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screen Play.

Someone once said the movies should be more like life and life should be more like the movies. Well this movie certainly tried to be more life.

This was a great film.

Out of respect for this thread, I will no longer engage in replying to trolls and/or socks.

I agree with you!

The Last Picture Show was a great film! :thup:

Music was amazing and acting was amazing!

Um, no. I saw it on Demand for the first time yesterday. I had no desire to replay the child rape scenes, assuming that's what you meant by the 'good parts'. Nothing good about them, IMHO.

:cuckoo: ^^^

I agree with you!

The Last Picture Show was a great film! :thup:

Music was amazing and acting was amazing!
To me, the constant music was irritating. I was like "Yes, I realize this is 1951 out in the boonies". Less would have been better. This technique was repeated in American Graffiti and the TV show Wonder Years to convey an era. It seems trite today, but I do realize Bogdanovich was the probably the first to do it.

To me, the constant music was irritating. I was like "Yes, I realize this is 1951 out in the boonies". This technique was repeated in American Graffiti and the TV show Wonder Years to convey an era. It seems trite today, but I do realize Bogdanovich was the probably the first to do it.

American Graffiti's music was even better than this one!:up:

Another amazing movie!

This movie is Marxist trash. I had heard about it for years as a classic movie. 7 Oscar nominations. That should have been my first clue. Whatever Hollywood loves is trash.
So I watched it in its entirety last night and today. The theme is basically sexual perversion. You had sexual assault of minors, sexual assault of the mentally disabled, sex outside marriage, nudity, and vulgarity. You had a cast of perverts many of whom had multiple adulterous affairs in real life. Yes Cybill Shepherd was nice to look at, and she was why 99% of the people wanted to watch. But the movie debased any young person who saw it. And that's the Communist goal; to weaken America by destroying young people's morals.
Marxist??

If you think the theme of the Movie was sexual perversion, then you probably see it everywhere. The two major themes in the movie was death of the town and coming of age which includes adolescent sexual awakenings. Characters speak freely and frankly about sex, losing their virginity, and prostitution. None of this is sexual perversion.

Is there a reason you have to get personal? I'm just giving my thoughts about the movie. Not about you.

I am just saying that the music score in American Graffiti was amazing!

What's your problem? :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back