The Last Picture Show

Marxist??

If you think the theme of the Movie was sexual perversion, then you probably see it everywhere. The two major themes in the movie was death of the town and coming of age which includes adolescent sexual awakenings. Characters speak freely and frankly about sex, losing their virginity, and prostitution. None of this is sexual perversion.
The part where the middle-aged coach's wife beds the high school kid is sexual perversion. The part where the 40 year old guy does teenage Cybill on the pool table is sexual perversion. The part where the impaired kid is with a prostitute is sexual perversion.

The movie seems to make the assumption this behavior is typical and normal. Nobody in my circle of friends did anything like that when we were teens in our town. Adults who do that stuff to kids in real life are called predators and go to prison. Bogdanovich treats it like it's normal. Judging from his personal life, maybe it is normal for him.

Last edited:
The part where the middle-aged coach's wife beds the high school kid is sexual perversion. The part where the 40 year old guy does teenage Cybill on the pool table is sexual perversion. The part where the impaired kid is with a prostitute is sexual perversion.

Me thinks you like perversion too much!:tongue:

Why would you think that? Flopper said he didn't see any sexual perversion. I gave him three examples.

Because you seem to be an expert in all the supposedly "pervert" situation in the movie!

Did you watched them several times too???? to form an opinion???? :laugh:

Because you seem to be an expert in all the supposedly "pervert" situation in the movie!

Did you watched them several times too???? to form an opinion???? :laugh:

No, I saw it once. Yesterday. First and only time. It's not that hard to remember what you saw yesterday.
Interesting and rather disturbing that you don't see the slightest thing wrong with behavior that would land those adults in prison today, for abusing and damaging kids.
Do you not understand the effects of molestation?

None of the above is abnormal in our culture today. However, your claim that sexual perversion is the theme of the movie is just not true. Just because a movie or book contains scenes of illicit sex does make that the theme of the work.

yes sure!!!!!:auiqs.jpg:

None of the above is abnormal in our culture today. However, your claim that sexual perversion is the theme of the movie is just not true. Just because a movie or book contains scenes of illicit sex does make that the theme of the work.
Child rape is indeed abnormal in our culture. People rightfully go to prison for it. Sexual perversion is all throughout the movie. Pretty near every character is engaged in it.

Child rape is indeed abnormal in our culture. People rightfully go to prison for it. Sexual perversion is all throughout the movie. Pretty near every character is engaged in it.

You are crazy.

Why are you cherry picking on this movie?

Cherry pick on Hollywood's movies since the beginning...in the 1900s

You are a very sick person

You are crazy.

Why are you cherry picking on this movie?

Cherry pick on Hollywood's movies since the beginning...in the 1900s

You are a very sick person
Yah, the sick person is the one who thinks child rape is OK. Do you have any idea of the damage that would be done to any of the three rape victims in that movie? And you people think such portrayals are great?? THAT is what's sick.

I picked this movie because I saw it yesterday, and wanted to see if it was reviewed in this forum.

Yah, the sick person is the one who thinks child rape is OK. Do you have any idea of the damage that would be done to any of the three rape victims in that movie?
I pick this movie because I saw it yesterday, and wanted to see if it was reviewed in this forum.

I will put you on ignore.

you are not worth my time.

I will put you on ignore.

you are not worth my time.
lol. That's fine with me. No one asked you to chime in anyway. And your zealous defense of this movie is creepy. It's just a movie. You act like you wrote it.

Here's the thing about young actors and actresses put in these sexual roles. People say "Oh, it's just a movie. It's just make-believe". But it damages these kids in real life. Bogdanovich seemed to push this kind of stuff in all of his movies. In TLPS, every victim of sex abuse in the movie, the real life actors had problems. All three have had multiple marriages. Cybill Shepherd's life has especially been a trainwreck. During the filming of this movie, she moved in with Bogdanovich after he left his wife and three kids, and they cohabitated for seven years. Each had multiple affairs during that time. Shepherd later married twice for about five minutes each, and had many many sexual liaisons in between as described in detail in her autobiography. Then there is Bogdanovich's Paper Moon. Here, NINE-year old Tatum O'Neal's character arranges sexual counters with adults, and observes her dad with a hooker. Yes, it's acting, but Tatum's real life has been a total disaster. She got so bad, she lost custody of her three children. She's been on drugs, and in relationship after relationship.

So guys, these kinds of movies with minors in sex situations CANNOT get made. Those that were made should be banned. Bogdanovich is a disgrace for doing this in movie after movie. They exploit and damage not only the young audience members, but the actors themselves.

The only sex scene I remember from the movie was with Cloris Leachman. In my town we had female English teacher ans several other women who liked doing the high school football players, and the local police chief got caught robbing the local food store and was prosecuted for molesting his daughter for years. So yes, such stuff did happen in the 'good old days'; it was also frowned upon and would get you hung from a telephone pole. Today they groom 4 year olds to trust faggots and pedophiles in the school systems and try to convince them they need to be sexually mutilated. That mentality doesn't come from movies kids shouldn't be watching in the first place and wouldn't enjoy anyway, it comes from faggot deviants and commies and their fellow travellers on the right, 'libertarians'.

The only sex scene I remember from the movie was with Cloris Leachman. In my town we had female English teacher ans several other women who liked doing the high school football players, and the local police chief got caught robbing the local food store and was prosecuted for molesting his daughter for years. So yes, such stuff did happen in the 'good old days'; it was also frowned upon and would get you hung from a telephone pole. Today they groom 4 year olds to trust faggots and pedophiles in the school systems and try to convince them they need to be sexually mutilated. That mentality doesn't come from movies kids shouldn't be watching in the first place and wouldn't enjoy anyway, it comes from faggot deviants and commies and their fellow travellers on the right, 'libertarians'.
I will agree movies while aren't the biggest influence on kids' deviant behavior; they are a piece of the puzzle. Young kids wouldn't have liked this movie, but high school boys would have. Just like the Summer of '42. I do agree what they teach school systems from an early age is a bigger problem.

Flopper, I wanted to thank you for sticking to the topic, even though we disagree, without going on to personal insults. Sad that a couple of others couldn't follow your example.

There was no child rape in the movie. The teenagers were graduating high seniors. Compared to most R rated movies today it was pretty tame.

If you think the movie is just about sex you're missing the central themes of the movie which are loneliness and decay. The town is dying; the rich are really rich only on paper; the buildings are old and rotting; the only entertainment, the picture show, closes; the pool hall is the only remaining source of any kind of fun in the town making the teenagers preoccupations with sex understandable. Teenage sexuality in The Last Picture Show is messy to a point of being uncomfortable for the audience because teenage sexuality is messy.

There was no child rape in the movie. The teenagers were graduating high seniors. Compared to most R rated movies today it was pretty tame.

If you think the movie is just about sex you're missing the central themes of the movie which are loneliness and decay. The town is dying; the rich are really rich only on paper; the buildings are old and rotting; the only entertainment, the picture show, closes; the pool hall is the only remaining source of any kind of fun in the town making the teenagers preoccupations with sex understandable. Teenage sexuality in The Last Picture Show is messy to a point of being uncomfortable for the audience because teenage sexuality is messy.
It wasn't just teenage sexuality. Two of the actors were portraying 17-year- olds being raped by adults in their 40s. The addled boy with the prostitute was likely 14 or 15. Any adult who does to a high school kid is going to jail for a long time for rape of a minor. I don't know why continue denying this.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back